Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
IMG_0569.jpeg

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Commenting on a post is now considered combative b/c a person doesn't agree with the post. Interesting atmosphere. Kinda like Dostal winning NHL rookie for the month of October and isn't recognized as one of the best Ducks makes complete sense.
you continue to prove the point. not mentioning Dostal in that original post wasn't some slight against him that you just HAD to come in and defend him on.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Surprised to see Stolarz down that low after looking good for us while here. Went to Natural Stat Trick and came away surprised. Stolarz at 5v5 has a 0.955 Sv %, ranked 9th overall. He's played only two games and was tagged for 2 PP GA.

On the PK, Florida is ranked 27th overall with a 71.05 PK efficiency rating. Anaheim, for perspectives, is ranked 17th at 78.57 PK eff rating. Last year, Florida's PK wasn't great either as they ranked 23rd overall with a 75.95 PK eff rating; the Ducks ranked 31st last year with a 72.14 PK eff rating.

Florida's forwards are strong, but def isn't great. We did take away Gudas from them, who is one of our PK staples.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
It's pretty obvious that the lines aren't currently working to maximize everyone's potential. I think it's important to give it time but chemistry is chemistry and Terry does not work with McTavish or Zegras.

Killorn-Carlsson-Terry
Vatrano--McTavish-Strome
Henrique-Zegras-Silfverberg

or

Henrique-Carlsson-Terry
Vatrano--McTavish-Strome
Killorn-Zegras-Silf

Reactions: Beckett

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
one thing i'd like to see is Terry on the left side... give him a better shooting angle and at least he'll have the puck on his forehand when he turns around

Reactions: Beckett

alsmiss94

Oct 26, 2022
I wonder if it's a coincidence both our goalies look way better and have better stats once Eakins is gone...

I know it's early in the season but I've been convinced for a while a lot of Gibbys poor years have to do with Eakins system. Both here and Edmonton goalies under him have awful numbers.

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
one thing i'd like to see is Terry on the left side... give him a better shooting angle and at least he'll have the puck on his forehand when he turns around

I think most wingers should play off-wing, atleast scoring lines. Coach once told me it's easier to go outside on defenders and use the boards... but if you have any kind of puck skills youre not trying to go outside, also the added vision being open to the ice and able to shoot from almost any lane. I can see the slight advantage defensively for chipping out and receiving pucks off the boards but those skills can be worked on from your backhand and skate work.

Anyway yeah I'd like to see what Terry can do from his off-wing. Vatrano with his bomb might benefit as well.

Reactions: DuckDuckGetz

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I think that could be interesting. I think of some of the other times he's scored his best goals and outside of the 2 right-side snipes in his hatty game the other night, he's scored from the left side or right in the middle, and he seems like he likes to skate left to right side when he does that.

Reactions: DuckDuckGetz

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I wonder if it's a coincidence both our goalies look way better and have better stats once Eakins is gone...

I know it's early in the season but I've been convinced for a while a lot of Gibbys poor years have to do with Eakins system. Both here and Edmonton goalies under him have awful numbers.

We have five new starters on our D right now. Two rookies with top-4 talents, two DFD vets, and two returning injured players. Vaaks playing a bottom-6 role/minutes, returning healthy has been good for him. Also, our PK unit needed 3 regular season games to discover itself. We are currently ranked 17th in PK eff, whereas last year we were ranked with the 2nd worst PK unit. I think defensive roster turnover been a significant difference between last year and this year.

• Starters last year:
    • Beaulieu in Europe (NL - Swiss League)
    • Harrington in Europe (NL)
    • White in AHL.
    • Benoit in AHL.
    • Shattenkirk is a 3rd pairing OFD in Boston. (He was playing top-4 for us last year.)
    • Klingberg is a 2nd pairing OFD in Toronto and has a -5 rating.
    • Kulikov is a 2nd pairing OFD in Florida. (He was our top pairing D last year.)

* note: OFD = offensive d-man; DFD = defensive d-man

We can do splits with the 2021-22 season for Gibby.

Gibson2021-22 Splits
Game SetDescriptionGamesSASVSv%.GAAGA
TotalAll season
56​
1789​
1617​
0.904​
3.07​
172​
1 to 34B4 All-Star Break
34​
1069​
986​
0.922​
2.44​
83​
34 to 56After All-Star Break
20​
720​
631​
0.876​
4.45​
89​

All-Star Break was when Verbeek was hired as GM and when Manson went to IR. Manson on IR caused the Ducks to put three rookies on the ice in Drysdale, Benoit, and Mahura. Manson played only 2 games between All-Star Break and the TDL, missing 12 consecutive games to injury. At the TDL, we lost Lindholm and Manson.

I know many here like to blame Eakins for everything and that Eakins didn't add any worth to the Ducks org, but that really isn't the case. Rebuild rosters get rebuild results. '21-22 had healthy vets and youth meshing together, but the lack of quality depth was too much to overcome.

This season, it feels eerily similar to the start of the '21-22 season, but we have more talent depth as we started off the season without C Lundestrom, LW Killorn, and lost Drysdale after game 2.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
We have five new starters on our D right now. Two rookies with top-4 talents, two DFD vets, and two returning injured players. Vaaks playing a bottom-6 role/minutes, returning healthy has been good for him. Also, our PK unit needed 3 regular season games to discover itself. We are currently ranked 17th in PK eff, whereas last year we were ranked with the 2nd worst PK unit. I think defensive roster turnover been a significant difference between last year and this year.

• Starters last year:
    • Beaulieu in Europe (NL - Swiss League)
    • Harrington in Europe (NL)
    • White in AHL.
    • Benoit in AHL.
    • Shattenkirk is a 3rd pairing OFD in Boston. (He was playing top-4 for us last year.)
    • Klingberg is a 2nd pairing OFD in Toronto and has a -5 rating.
    • Kulikov is a 2nd pairing OFD in Florida. (He was our top pairing D last year.)

* note: OFD = offensive d-man; DFD = defensive d-man

We can do splits with the 2021-22 season for Gibby.

Gibson2021-22 Splits
Game SetDescriptionGamesSASVSv%.GAAGA
TotalAll season
56​
1789​
1617​
0.904​
3.07​
172​
1 to 34B4 All-Star Break
34​
1069​
986​
0.922​
2.44​
83​
34 to 56After All-Star Break
20​
720​
631​
0.876​
4.45​
89​

All-Star Break was when Verbeek was hired as GM and when Manson went to IR. Manson on IR caused the Ducks to put three rookies on the ice in Drysdale, Benoit, and Mahura. Manson played only 2 games between All-Star Break and the TDL, missing 12 consecutive games to injury. At the TDL, we lost Lindholm and Manson.

I know many here like to blame Eakins for everything and that Eakins didn't add any worth to the Ducks org, but that really isn't the case. Rebuild rosters get rebuild results. '21-22 had healthy vets and youth meshing together, but the lack of quality depth was too much to overcome.

This season, it feels eerily similar to the start of the '21-22 season, but we have more talent depth as we started off the season without C Lundestrom, LW Killorn, and lost Drysdale after game 2.
The talent was bad AND Eakins was a horrible coach. Both, not one or the other.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010

probably has more to do with not icing 5- 6/7 defensemen every night.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
McTavish and Strome are top 30 in even strength scoring. Vatrano is around top60. Each of them are also at least PPG. That's our top line so far.

Our middle 6 should be switched around, I'd go for something around:

Killorn-Carlsson-Terry
Rico-Zegras-Silfverberg

I like the balance on these much more. After a loss is a great time to switch the lines a bit

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The talent was bad AND Eakins was a horrible coach. Both, not one or the other.
Come on now, that's crazy talk.

Eakins is an elite NHL coach with an elite NHL record and a 10 game stretch during his 404 NHL game career PROVES that with his outstanding record of 137-210-58.

Who wouldn't want a coach who's lost 268 of his 404 NHL games or in simpler terms, a coach who lost 66% of the NHL games he's coached.

EDIT: I decided to look it up, and only 4 coaches in NHL history that coached 400+ games have a worst points percentage then Eakins (0.408).

Milt Schmidt (1954-1966 ; 1974-1976) - 0.406
Tom McVie (1975-1978 ; 1979-1981 ; 1983-1992) - 0.352
Fred Glover (1968 - 1974) - 0.340

Elite company.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
TheTerry-Carlsson-Zegras line has skill, but they definitely look like a young line.

They actually seem to exit the zone pretty well, making the right pass in transition, but when they cycle it, they are just not strong enough on the puck, and they dont seem to use their speed. It looks very disjointed. I would keep Zegras with Carlsson and try to swap Terry with Kilorn. Put Terry on the Third line so he gets the easier match ups.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
TheTerry-Carlsson-Zegras line has skill, but they definitely look like a young line.

They actually seem to exit the zone pretty well, making the right pass in transition, but when they cycle it, they are just not strong enough on the puck, and they dont seem to use their speed. It looks very disjointed. I would keep Zegras with Carlsson and try to swap Terry with Kilorn. Put Terry on the Third line so he gets the easier match ups.
Agreed, they are all very soft on the puck. Also something else I’ve been noticing lately is a lot of their passes are being picked off (sometimes it’s their fault tho for making low percentage passes)

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad