Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
he's actually played pretty well lately, at least the games i've seen. not a great option, but
i think the lack of assets/cap space puts sweeney in a not-great-option spot. unless he goes
on another bender, firing off more future 1st rounders and lysell/lohrei.

as for leddy, i wouldn't tie myself to anything mediocre for term at this point. and if you're
getting a puck mover, may as well get a guy like hanifin who is a legit top 4 guy that's young.
the cost is prohibitive obviously.

Am I wrong in my feeling that Lohrei’s availability will directly correlate to how confident they are about signing Hanifan this summer?

I can’t see Lohrei being a bottom pair guy starting in 24/25…..and definitely not 25/26.

McAvoy, Carlo, Lindholm, Hanifan in the top 4 gives you options for the 5/6 spot and Lohrei could go a long way to getting a quality guy at this deadline.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I don't think that sets the price for the upcoming deadline. It all depends on who the buyers are and who's blinking first. Maybe the Ducks get desperate because the offers are low or lack of interest in the player ( wrong fit for buyers happens all the time ). Maybe the teams looking for scoring help on the wing fill their need elsewhere and it makes the Ducks more willing to trade. Maybe the Ducks really covet Merkulov and want to add him to their prospect pool ( using him as an example ).

The opposite of all that can also happen too. I just don't think a trade a month or so from the deadline sets prices the way fans think they do.
I do not want to tie cap up longterm until Sweeney has had time to try and get that highskilled centre .( now or later )Once we know what is left then they can address that.But hey who knows what could happen cause Bos might be after Hanifin yet lol

Got the drinking in on the ole hammock so he should be good now :laugh:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I wouldn't mind.

But, if they can add someone like Middleton and another physical player, which I believe is doable, they should.

One, for the long-term physicality of the club.

Two, if they fail to do so, they'll likely get pushed around and beaten down in the playoffs, leading to yet another early exit. That's been the case now for at least five years, and with the notable exception of last season, Sweeney has never addressed a problem that is obvious to everyone but him.

For the thousandth time, I don't understand this and I never will. Even if you don't care for a heavy, physical game, which appears to be the case with Sweeney, the results speak for themselves.

To me, it's like repeatedly shooting yourself in the foot and then asking why.

The last 5 years includes 2019, when they went to the finals. Not an early exit.

2020 they lost to Tampa in 5, clearly the better team.

2021 lost to the Islanders when Tuukka & Carlo got hurt.

2022 did they lose to the Hurricanes because the Canes pushed them around, or because they were much better?

2023 injuries, coaching decisions and bad luck. Never trailed in the series.

Would I like the B's to be more physical? Sure. But I can't blame their playoff losses on it.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The last 5 years includes 2019, when they went to the finals. Not an early exit.

2022 did they lose to the Hurricanes because the Canes pushed them around, or because they were much better?

Would I like the B's to be more physical? Sure. But I can't blame their playoff losses on it.
2019- Once Berube cried in media, they got away with lots of sure penalties.Buy hey they made it to finals which is tough.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Am I wrong in my feeling that Lohrei’s availability will directly correlate to how confident they are about signing Hanifan this summer?

I can’t see Lohrei being a bottom pair guy starting in 24/25…..and definitely not 25/26.

McAvoy, Carlo, Lindholm, Hanifan in the top 4 gives you options for the 5/6 spot and Lohrei could go a long way to getting a quality guy at this deadline.
i think lohrei becomes a piece you could consider moving if you end up getting hanifin as a UFA.
but don't see it as a "have to". i'd rather keep them both and add a gritty RHD that can PK and play with lohrei. unless he's part of a bigger deal for a legit top 6 center you can control for many years.

or maybe you sign both lindholm and hanifin and keep lohrei too :D

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
i think lohrei becomes a piece you could consider moving if you end up getting hanifin as a UFA.
but don't see it as a "have to". i'd rather keep them both and add a gritty RHD that can PK and play with lohrei. unless he's part of a bigger deal for a legit top 6 center you can control for many years.

Bruins would rather just add that centre through free agency no doubt ( guy u mentioned available they will move)but let's say they can pull a trade.What salary goes out do you figure?Hard ask not knowing team you are dealing with and needs.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

But, you also can’t say with certainty that more physicality wouldn't have helped them win either.

If someone on the B’s knocked Svetchnikov out of the series before he leveled Lindholm, maybe that series is different.

If someone or a few guys decide to take it to Tkachuk and Reinhardt, instead of letting them run everyone, maybe that series does as well.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Bruins would rather just add that centre through free agency no doubt ( guy u mentioned available they will move)but let's say they can pull a trade.What salary goes out do you figure?Hard ask not knowing team you are dealing with and needs.
i don't think they'll be making any big trades at the deadline. too many moving parts,
not enough cap space, not enough assets to do anything worthwhile. guessing they
will make 2-3 moves, mostly plugging holes and filling a need/adding depth. the draft and
july 1 is a totally different story, they will be loading up for big moves.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
i don't think they'll be making any big trades at the deadline. too many moving parts,
not enough cap space, not enough assets to do anything worthwhile. guessing they
will make 2-3 moves, mostly plugging holes and filling a need/adding depth. the draft and
july 1 is a totally different story, they will be loading up for big moves.
I agree here and it's what I want as a Bruins fan.Its fits better longterm.:thumbu:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
But, you also can’t say with certainty that more physicality wouldn't have helped them win either.

If someone on the B’s knocked Svetchnikov out of the series before he leveled Lindholm, maybe that series is different.

If someone or a few guys decide to take it to Tkachuk and Reinhardt, instead of letting them run everyone, maybe that series does as well.
Correct, can't say anything with certainty about something that didn't happen.

Don't recall Reinhart running anyone. Didn't even get a penalty in the 7 games.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I just don’t know what to think about Middleton. Wild fans call him a 5D on their board and this board treats him like a top pairing.
Agree, he would be a nice addition, but not giving up a 1st for what is basically a 3rd pairing D, if you could trade a couple B prospects maybe Steen and Beecher, than sure.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I don't think that sets the price for the upcoming deadline. It all depends on who the buyers are and who's blinking first. Maybe the Ducks get desperate because the offers are low or lack of interest in the player ( wrong fit for buyers happens all the time ). Maybe the teams looking for scoring help on the wing fill their need elsewhere and it makes the Ducks more willing to trade. Maybe the Ducks really covet Merkulov and want to add him to their prospect pool ( using him as an example ).

The opposite of all that can also happen too. I just don't think a trade a month or so from the deadline sets prices the way fans think they do.
Prices are set with Monahan a mediocre center a 1st round pick!🤣

Reactions: GordonHowe

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I just don’t know what to think about Middleton. Wild fans call him a 5D on their board and this board treats him like a top pairing.

He's an upgrade over Forbort but how much of an upgrade, I'm not sure. Middleton fights a little more but both average roughly the same amount of hits/blocks per 82 games. One averages 16 points a year, the other 19.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I'm a partisan, but episode 200 of "Bruins Beat," with the Globe's Conor Ryan and eei's Ty Anderson, is packed tight with gold.

Anderson poses a scenario: After the break, Sweeney sits down with Jake DeBrusk and asks a basic, critical question: Do you really want to be here?

The consensus among many Bruins analysts and fans is that the center position, in a transition year with few assets to deal, is no longer the number one need on this team.

Rather, as is also the consensus among almost all Bruins analysts and many fans, the missing ingredient is "heft" and a certified "A-hole" on D and the fourth line.

Ryan and Anderson debate which position is most important to augment at or before the trade deadline.

This in itself is a great topic.

Even better, the two discuss where those needs might be addressed, and land on Minnesota, with at least three options. Pick up @ 18:30.

Finally, though I don't especially care about the Olympics or international play, Ryan and Anderson talk about recent developments, and why participation would be great for hockey in general, hockey fans, and the NHL as well.

Fanboy says, check while awaiting game #50. Good stuff,

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Hungus

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

^ That's using your noodle. :)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He's an upgrade over Forbort but how much of an upgrade, I'm not sure. Middleton fights a little more but both average roughly the same amount of hits/blocks per 82 games. One averages 16 points a year, the other 19.
The 2 are very similar players...Middleton younger but I would say Forbort is the better player, especially PK. Middleton is Forborts replacement should Forbs continue with nagging injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad