Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Procedural question.

When Poitras‘ junior team is eliminated from the playoffs, is he eligible to play in the AHL playoffs?

Reactions: Gordoff

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I feel like if we add physical D, our next step will be complaining we need D that are puck movers.....
Physical D =/= can't skate

I would argue the Bruins' breakout scheme this season is more beneficial for physical D to play in than puck movers. I say look at the season Forbort and Grzelcyk have been having this season as examples. Forbort has had a bit of a resurgence while Grzelcyk has struggled as well as Lindholm up until recently.

Breakouts from defensemen isn't as common or needed this season since Montgomery's system in the defensive zone is dependent on defensemen retrieving pucks and passing it to a forward for the breakout.

Middleton by no means is a puck-moving defensemen, but he can still jump in the play and keep up. He had a consistent playoffs last year, and him bringing a physical presence on the back-end, the ability to block pucks, and to eat tough minutes would help a lot on defense. It would lessen the tough minutes Lindholm has been playing so the Bruins can get more out of him. Just because the Bruins are looking for a Middleton-type of player, it doesn't mean the Bruins won't still have plenty of puck-moving defensemen on the team.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Ok so I know a lot of the talk on here recently has been about our defense, but I think we're one forward away from a legitimately complete top 9. As of now our top 2 lines by xGF/60 with a minimum of 50 min played are the new top line of Marchand-Coyle-Pasta and the third line of Freddy-Geekie-JVR. Find a guy that can play well with Zacha and Debrusk on the 2nd line and all of a sudden we have 3 legit lines that Monty can role out confidently come playoffs.

Who that guy is idk, but they'd need to come cheap cause I still think top pair LD needs to be the place they spend big, if they do at all. Find whatever this years version of the Marcus Johansson addition in 2019 is. Or maybe give Lysell a cup of coffee and see if he can do something with it, can't hurt to try at least. Believe he's up to 21 points in his last 20 games, he's earned it anyway.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
They are on Middleton and should be

But they can only get one and I’d get Hanifin

I know it’s not popular but OBrien is a psycho and would be a great pick up

I got him on my SIM team so anytime I’m watching Arizona (my only guy on that team) I’m looking for him and he’s a pain in the ass runs the best players and reminds me of a rodeo rider/stunt man

Maroon would fit because he’s been around great players and fit well and knows how to do it

I’m Donny major run at Hanifin and grab OBrien

If not Wild got Middleton & Maroon
How about Hanifin, O'brien, and Maroon? Scratches both itches.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Merkulov + mid round pick for Vatrano ( as long as we can resign him )

I'm not the biggest Merk fan but he has potential with that shot and his AHL stats pop.

Ducks fans seem to want 1st+. With him having an extra year and them looking to break more kids into the lineup, having a vet (makes me feel old saying that) has value to them.

I’m not sure it would take a 1st+, but Merkulov isn’t going to entice them.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ducks fans seem to want 1st+. With him having an extra year and them looking to break more kids into the lineup, having a vet (makes me feel old saying that) has value to them.

I’m not sure it would take a 1st+, but Merkulov isn’t going to entice them.

And you need to throw in Debrusk, Forbort or Gryz in to make the money work.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I’d be fine with maroon as long as they let him bully

Why else would you bring him in, to flip off Jack Edwards?

Ok so I know a lot of the talk on here recently has been about our defense, but I think we're one forward away from a legitimately complete top 9. As of now our top 2 lines by xGF/60 with a minimum of 50 min played are the new top line of Marchand-Coyle-Pasta and the third line of Freddy-Geekie-JVR. Find a guy that can play well with Zacha and Debrusk on the 2nd line and all of a sudden we have 3 legit lines that Monty can role out confidently come playoffs.

Who that guy is idk, but they'd need to come cheap cause I still think top pair LD needs to be the place they spend big, if they do at all. Find whatever this years version of the Marcus Johansson addition in 2019 is. Or maybe give Lysell a cup of coffee and see if he can do something with it, can't hurt to try at least. Believe he's up to 21 points in his last 20 games, he's earned it anyway.
They don't need skill or scoring.

They need heavy thump. On D, up front.

Otherwise, the same old playoff story.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Will the Bruins make a move before the deadline?

What do they need most, a top six center, or another defenseman?

Reactions: bbfan419

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The Bruins will stay away from rentals and will likely be out of the running for premium pieces...and that includes Jacob Middleton.

For some reason, I keep looking at STL's roster. They have five D over 30. Nick Leddy is one of them. He has a NTC, but you have think Armstrong is looking at the roster and wanting to shake things up.

Do we think Nick Leddy is an upgrade over Matt Grzelcyk at $4M through 2025-26? He is still able to skate 20+ per night, can skate like the wind and plays the right way. He's just not the tough hombre everyone is punting the table for. But at least he is bigger than Gryz and has a strong postseason resume.

Curious to hear what folks think.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
The Bruins will stay away from rentals and will likely be out of the running for premium pieces...and that includes Jacob Middleton.

For some reason, I keep looking at STL's roster. They have five D over 30. Nick Leddy is one of them. He has a NTC, but you have think Armstrong is looking at the roster and wanting to shake things up.

Do we think Nick Leddy is an upgrade over Matt Grzelcyk at $4M through 2025-26? He is still able to skate 20+ per night, can skate like the wind and plays the right way. He's just not the tough hombre everyone is punting the table for. But at least he is bigger than Gryz and has a strong postseason resume.

Why in the world do we need or want Leddy? We need to get tougher back there not add to the flower shop

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

negative on leddy. i'd consider scandella for a depth role if blues are retaining half and asking for minimal return.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I wish they'd want to shake things up enough to move Schenn. Unfortunately being they just named him captain this off-season I don't see it happening.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad