Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Why in the world do we need or want Leddy? We need to get tougher back there not add to the flower shop

Well, here’s why. The Buins don’t just need a tough D. Unless you are content with Gryz playing on the top pair, they need someone who can skate next to McAvoy. The Bruins simply do not have the assets needed to acquire a tough two way top 4 D. At least Leddy has better size, output and a stronger post-season trackrecord.

Again - if you want Gryz to ride the top pair this post-season, fine.

Jacob Middleton isn’t going anywhere for less than a 1st and high-end prospect PLUS. The Bruins will be outbid. More likely he stays put.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
negative on leddy. i'd consider scandella for a depth role if blues are retaining half and asking for minimal return.
Eww. Scandella.
Well, here’s why. The Buins don’t just need a tough D. Unless you are content with Gryz playing on the top pair, they need someone who can skate next to McAvoy. The Bruins simply do not have the assets needed to acquire a tough two way top 4 D. At least Leddy has better size, output and a stronger post-season trackrecord.

Again - if you want Gryz to ride the top pair this post-season, fine.

Jacob Middleton isn’t going anywhere for less than a 1st and high-end prospect PLUS. The Bruins will be outbid. More likely he stays put.
fwiw…I wouldn’t thrilled with a move like this either - but trying to see where a possible, even marginal upgrade could occur. What if STL sends a pick along with Leddy? The cap hit for two more years would suggest something like that.

I dunno.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Feels like Forbort needs to be shut down till game 1 of the playoffs :sarcasm:
I read where someone said Forbort hurt his hand possibly? Along with bad leg reoccurring? He’s probably banged up. Probably not a bad idea.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Eww. Scandella.

fwiw…I wouldn’t thrilled with a move like this either - but trying to see where a possible, even marginal upgrade could occur. What if STL sends a pick along with Leddy? The cap hit for two more years would suggest something like that.

I dunno.
he's actually played pretty well lately, at least the games i've seen. not a great option, but
i think the lack of assets/cap space puts sweeney in a not-great-option spot. unless he goes
on another bender, firing off more future 1st rounders and lysell/lohrei.

as for leddy, i wouldn't tie myself to anything mediocre for term at this point. and if you're
getting a puck mover, may as well get a guy like hanifin who is a legit top 4 guy that's young.
the cost is prohibitive obviously.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
1 Stop shop at he Ducks is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go.
Anaheim Ducks 2024 Free Agents

Anaheim Ducks 2024 Free Agents​

PLAYER (11)TYPEAGEPOS.HEIGHTWEIGHTSHOOTSGPGAPWGAASV%2023-2024 CAP HIT
Adam HenriqueUFA33.9C6' 0"194L49151833$5,825,000
Jakob SilfverbergUFA33.2RW6' 1"210R495813$5,250,000
Ilya LyubushkinUFA29.8D6' 1"204R4744$2,750,000
Sam CarrickUFA31.9C6' 0"197R507310$850,000

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I'm all on board the Vatrano train.
Yea wanna pay a 1st round pick and poitras ? Look what Monahan was paid for and he was waiver wire material with the flames. Heck the way Danton is playing he can fetch a first with that peanut contract to boot.

1 Stop shop at he Ducks is probably the cheapest and easiest way to go.
Anaheim Ducks 2024 Free Agents

Anaheim Ducks 2024 Free Agents​

PLAYER (11)TYPEAGEPOS.HEIGHTWEIGHTSHOOTSGPGAPWGAASV%2023-2024 CAP HIT
Adam HenriqueUFA33.9C6' 0"194L49151833$5,825,000
Jakob SilfverbergUFA33.2RW6' 1"210R495813$5,250,000
Ilya LyubushkinUFA29.8D6' 1"204R4744$2,750,000
Sam CarrickUFA31.9C6' 0"197R507310$850,000
Cheap eh 🤣🤣. Ducks are licking their chops with the overpayment of sean Monahan.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Yea wanna pay a 1st round pick and poitras ? Look what Monahan was paid for and he was waiver wire material with the flames. Heck the way Danton is playing he can fetch a first with that peanut contract to boot.

Cheap eh 🤣🤣. Ducks are licking their chops with the overpayment of sean Monahan.
Pass on the Ducks shopping, and if you can get a first for Heinen, I will pay his plane ticket.......

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Why else would you bring him in, to flip off Jack Edwards?

They don't need skill or scoring.

They need heavy thump. On D, up front.

Otherwise, the same old playoff story.
The Bruins are a complete surprise to many and this was always a reset season until they played so well.The Bruins really could use a quiet deadline to kind of get back on top with some assets.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
he's actually played pretty well lately, at least the games i've seen. not a great option, but
i think the lack of assets/cap space puts sweeney in a not-great-option spot. unless he goes
on another bender, firing off more future 1st rounders and lysell/lohrei.

as for leddy, i wouldn't tie myself to anything mediocre for term at this point. and if you're
getting a puck mover, may as well get a guy like hanifin who is a legit top 4 guy that's young.
the cost is prohibitive obviously.
Agreed - and if Sweeney has any insight as to what Hanifin wants to do after this year, then waiting for him is the way to go. I just can’t see them getting him until the summer and so there is a lack of certainty there - whereas a lesser move with certainty (including cost) will likely be explored as a plan B.

Reactions: Gordoff

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The Bruins will stay away from rentals and will likely be out of the running for premium pieces...and that includes Jacob Middleton.

For some reason, I keep looking at STL's roster. They have five D over 30. Nick Leddy is one of them. He has a NTC, but you have think Armstrong is looking at the roster and wanting to shake things up.

Do we think Nick Leddy is an upgrade over Matt Grzelcyk at $4M through 2025-26? He is still able to skate 20+ per night, can skate like the wind and plays the right way. He's just not the tough hombre everyone is punting the table for. But at least he is bigger than Gryz and has a strong postseason resume.

Curious to hear what folks think.
Nick Leddy is still very good for his age. Can still skate well. Edit Leddy is left handed

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Elliot Friedman thinks the B's will be "in on" Lindholm this summer. They didn't want him as a rental, as an extension was off the table,

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
The Bruins are a complete surprise to many and this was always a reset season until they played so well.The Bruins really could use a quiet deadline to kind of get back on top with some assets.

I wouldn't mind.

But, if they can add someone like Middleton and another physical player, which I believe is doable, they should.

One, for the long-term physicality of the club.

Two, if they fail to do so, they'll likely get pushed around and beaten down in the playoffs, leading to yet another early exit. That's been the case now for at least five years, and with the notable exception of last season, Sweeney has never addressed a problem that is obvious to everyone but him.

For the thousandth time, I don't understand this and I never will. Even if you don't care for a heavy, physical game, which appears to be the case with Sweeney, the results speak for themselves.

To me, it's like repeatedly shooting yourself in the foot and then asking why.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I don't think that sets the price for the upcoming deadline. It all depends on who the buyers are and who's blinking first. Maybe the Ducks get desperate because the offers are low or lack of interest in the player ( wrong fit for buyers happens all the time ). Maybe the teams looking for scoring help on the wing fill their need elsewhere and it makes the Ducks more willing to trade. Maybe the Ducks really covet Merkulov and want to add him to their prospect pool ( using him as an example ).

The opposite of all that can also happen too. I just don't think a trade a month or so from the deadline sets prices the way fans think they do.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Nick Seeler and Brandon Duhaim could good cheap physical additions at TDL for the Bs...they re not going on big guns at TDL for sure...
I mean they were in on both Lindholm and Monahan, if anything that signals that we very much are willing to go after some of the bigger names.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I mean they were in on both Lindholm and Monahan, if anything that signals that we very much are willing to go after some of the bigger names.

And centers too, which I kind of don't agree with. I'd rather find scoring help on the wing, unless they were thinking of moving Zacha to the LW on a line with Lindholm and Pasta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad