Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
No, all I was saying is keeping DeBrusk with no deal in place is the equivalent of a deadline deal where you bring in a pending free agent but in this case you don't have to give any picks and prospects away.
So you could trade DeBrusk for a pick since he didn't sign to your number (whatever that was for Sweeney) and then trade a pick(s) for some other guy that is likely also a free agent like a Bertuzzi last year but why not just keep the guy familiar with the system?
Personally I would not pay Jake a ton of money because he's too streaky and unreliable. Sure, he's playing well lately, but he goes through real dry spells and down periods and I think we could do better unless it's a lower value.
Same for Gryz.
Soon as Jake got involved he got hot, but the downside is his body is not built for that type game and he needed rest for aches and pains.I like Jake I really do, but Sweeney cannot let him gain control over the situation here .Just my opinion is all and I respect yours and understand what your saying.I just don't like doing buisness that way.Saw Loui Eriksson walk after scoring 30 and still missed playoffs so that was final straw of that type stuff for me.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Middleton on the top pair. Is this a good idea?
Better than Grizz. Ideally that 2 spot is Lindholm and you have a puck mover with some size and grit with Carlo and Middleton as a PK and 6th D. But Middleton, to me, is a significant upgrade to Grizz, Forbort, Shattenkirk and Wotherspoon.

And he does fight and has a grade A moustache

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
An even better question is is it worth the cost (1st+ or Lysell+) to acquire Middleton to play on the first pair in the playoffs.

I think we have to get over the first hump first. Because if he can play that role, I’d happily give up a lot to acquire.

I worry that the deployment is a little over his head. But I don’t know. We saw Chara carry a partner for years here. Can McAvoy help elevate Middleton’s game to where they can be an effective pair?

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think we have to get over the first hump first. Because if he can play that role, I’d happily give up a lot to acquire.

I worry that the deployment is a little over his head. But I don’t know. We saw Chara carry a partner for years here. Can McAvoy help elevate Middleton’s game to where they can be an effective pair?
Yeah I guess I look at it the other way. With him signed for another year cheap, Minnesota doesn’t have to trade him now. So even if he can play that role, it would be pretty expensive. If we would pay that for Middleton, why not add a bit more and get Hanifin?

Unless people think you’re getting Middleton for Grizz+Harrison+4th or something. Because that’s just not reality.

Reactions: wintersej

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Jets paid a conditionsl 1st for Monahan I read.Things are happening in West .

I like Lindholm, but giving him a long term deal would be foolish. Paying players into their late 30s is exactly what the bruins should stay away from.
Yea I get what you laying down you're not wrong but he is only 30 so you could still get 3 or 4 good years out of him one would think.But signing him past 35 I agree.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

Yeah I guess I look at it the other way. With him signed for another year cheap, Minnesota doesn’t have to trade him now. So even if he can play that role, it would be pretty expensive. If we would pay that for Middleton, why not add a bit more and get Hanifin?

Unless people think you’re getting Middleton for Grizz+Harrison+4th or something. Because that’s just not reality.
I guess I just don’t see Hanifin as being the more valuable asset.

Middleton at half Hanifin’s current salary for two seasons. Plus he provides a nasty game that Hanifin doesn’t.

If we traded with the Flames instead, I think we’d still be in search of someone with Middleton’s presence for the third pair. Whereas if it’s Grizz out/Middleton in, we have the potential to round out the defense in one move.

But only if Middleton doesn’t suck in that first pair role. Which (in my viewing) I think he probably would. I’m hoping someone could convince me otherwise.

As for Hanifin, I’m a straight up nah. I think trading for him this season would require too many assets and signing him in the offseason would absorb too much cap. Perhaps if we didn’t have someone like Lohrei to look forward to, I’d be more inclined

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Already got one Lindholm on track for an albatross contract down the road and the Bruins seemingly want to go for the Double Lindholm Albatross.
Man, I just don’t agree on Hampus. His deployment this year has been absolutely brutal. And he’s been excellent defensively. The offense is starting to come back a bit too. From Ty Anderson’s column today:

“At the All-Star break, did you know that Lindholm has been out there for the third-most defensive-zone faceoffs in hockey, with 521? That means that with 33 games remaining on the schedule, Lindholm is only 136 defensive-zone faceoffs away from matching last year’s total. If Lindholm remains on this pace, he’ll finish this season with over 870 defensive-zone faceoffs. Brandon Carlo led all Bruins with 702 defensive-zone faceoffs a year ago, and no NHLer had more than Darnel Nurse and his 867 defensive-zone faceoffs last year. It’s a truly taxing ask, and Lindholm is not doing that against third and fourth lines. The Bruins are putting him against the other team’s top talents every single night.”

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Man, I just don’t agree on Hampus. His deployment this year has been absolutely brutal. And he’s been excellent defensively. The offense is starting to come back a bit too. From Ty Anderson’s column today:

“At the All-Star break, did you know that Lindholm has been out there for the third-most defensive-zone faceoffs in hockey, with 521? That means that with 33 games remaining on the schedule, Lindholm is only 136 defensive-zone faceoffs away from matching last year’s total. If Lindholm remains on this pace, he’ll finish this season with over 870 defensive-zone faceoffs. Brandon Carlo led all Bruins with 702 defensive-zone faceoffs a year ago, and no NHLer had more than Darnel Nurse and his 867 defensive-zone faceoffs last year. It’s a truly taxing ask, and Lindholm is not doing that against third and fourth lines. The Bruins are putting him against the other team’s top talents every single night.”

Like most players his caliber, I don't see him being effective when he gets to age 34-35-36. He's still solid today.

Elias Lindholm wants to come here on a 4-5 year deal. Fine.

6-7-8 years he can go elsewhere.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I’m next to Andover, I feel like I could have more influence over personnel decisions than I currently do if I can work my way into the inner circle.
Sounds good. If this happens let me know I have some suggestions. :D

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax

Really? So Minny is allowed to speak with Gryz and there's a desire on both sides to extend on a 3-4 year deal + Harrison + a 4th.........that doesn't get you Middleton? You sure make it sound like you have an insider knowledge on the price of Middleton or how GM's value other players. You're "reality" vs "opinion" is cloudy at best

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Really? So Minny is allowed to speak with Gryz and there's a desire on both sides to extend on a 3-4 year deal + Harrison + a 4th.........that doesn't get you Middleton? You sure make it sound like you have an insider knowledge on the price of Middleton or how GM's value other players. You're "reality" vs "opinion" is cloudy at best

It doesn't sniff Middleton because of how good his contract is. Plus, MN already has Spurgeon, how many small D can one team run?

Reactions: G Backup

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I mean ok. There’s no value to being allowed to speak with Grizz early. He’s not that level of FA. He’s a cap dump in any deal to a non-contender to make the money work. Not to mention the Wild already have Spurgeon, so they’re not going to sign Grizz long term anyway.

Harrison and a 4th is going to get you Middleton? Come on.

Reactions: G Backup

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
It doesn't sniff Middleton because of how good his contract is. Plus, MN already has Spurgeon, how many small D can one team run?
Ok I'll bite......what do you think Middleton costs:
1) in general terms?
2) from the Bruins organization?

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I mean ok. There’s no value to being allowed to speak with Grizz early. He’s not that level of FA. He’s a cap dump in any deal to a non-contender to make the money work. Not to mention the Wild already have Spurgeon, so they’re not going to sign Grizz long term anyway.

Harrison and a 4th is going to get you Middleton? Come on.
Middleton's shooting percentage is 247% better than last season and over 100% better than his career average. Bruins fans (including me) talk about Middleton because he's a type of player we're lacking on the blueline.........plus our fanbase love guys who can play hockey and punch faces. I don't really see Middleton costing the farm by any means and I would not be including anyone named Lysell or Lohrei in any deals for him.

Mr. Make-Believe

Middleton's shooting percentage is 247% better than last season and over 100% better than his career average. Bruins fans (including me) talk about Middleton because he's a type of player we're lacking on the blueline.........plus our fanbase love guys who can play hockey and punch faces. I don't really see Middleton costing the farm by any means and I would not be including anyone named Lysell or Lohrei in any deals for him.
Oh Middleton will cost.

Because here’s the thing - the Wild have no reason to move him. He’s cheap and signed through next season. He’s skating top four minutes. He’s the type of player Guerin covets.

The only reason the Wild would have to move him would be because they believe they’re out of the playoff picture and value the haul they could receive as a deadline return. Otherwise, he’s back there next year for another kick at the cat.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Like most players his caliber, I don't see him being effective when he gets to age 34-35-36. He's still solid today.

Elias Lindholm wants to come here on a 4-5 year deal. Fine.

6-7-8 years he can go elsewhere.

Exactly where I’m at on Elias Lindholm, unfortunately I think 4-5 years takes us out of the running for him and if so I’m fine with that.

With that said this team desperately needs a true #1 center. That should be top priority this offseason somehow.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Exactly where I’m at on Elias Lindholm, unfortunately I think 4-5 years takes us out of the running for him and if so I’m fine with that.

With that said this team desperately needs a true #1 center. That should be top priority this offseason somehow.

Yup. If they can find that player with the right contract.

What I wouldn't want to see is giving 7-8 year deals to a guy just because he is the best available in that particular off-season but truly isn't the caliber of player who warrants it. They capitalize on weak UFA class because their will be GMs out there who are desperate to quickly improve their squad.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad