Prospect Info: 2023-24 prospect information - BUT WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO PLAY?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prospect polls starting on 2/3 - what to do with #1?

• Get the formality over with and give Nikishin #1

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Start at the #1 prospect vote and give room for debate at the spot

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We are 14 teams in and 10 of the teams are eastern conference foes, including the Debils who dropped to 22.

5 Atlantic teams: Boston, TB, Florida, Ottawa and Toronto

5 Metro: NYI, Pittsburgh, NJ, Washington, and NYR

4 western teams: Vegas, Edmonton, Colorado, and Dallas.

6 eastern teams remain: Carolina, Philly, Detroit, Columbus, Montreal, and Buffalo.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We are 14 teams in and 10 of the teams are eastern conference foes, including the Debils who dropped to 22.

5 Atlantic teams: Boston, TB, Florida, Ottawa and Toronto

5 Metro: NYI, Pittsburgh, NJ, Washington, and NYR

4 western teams: Vegas, Edmonton, Colorado, and Dallas.

6 eastern teams remain: Carolina, Philly, Detroit, Columbus, Montreal, and Buffalo.

If we aren’t the next eastern team off the board, I’ll be surprised.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I was writing a really long post about our team but it boils down to me realizing how difficult it is to get a franchise player in this league. Teams can lose for years and not get one like Arizona or Columbus (although Fantilli has a shot at getting there.) The Red Wings have gotten hosed like crazy in the draft but they still got Seider. Colorado didn't get #1 with Ottawa's pick and they still got the best player in that draft.

We were extremely lucky to get Svech and Aho in my opinion is a top 10 C. But otherwise we're too good to tank and it's incredibly expensive to trade for one like M. Tkachuk. I just think it would be cool to one day have a top player in the league type player to root for.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I get that there's a "you reap what you sow" for drafting that has bitten some Metro teams, but it's nevertheless still pretty cool for where we stand prospect-wise. A lot of draft capital shifted hands from contenders to lower teams last deadline, moreso than usual. Truthfully, we're still in an unknown phase with our weird model for drafting as no one is quite like the Canes management. But I think we're all pretty pleased to be in the position our farm is in given that we're 5 years into the contention window.

In sum, you can't count your prospects until they make it, but on the other hand we can at least get a little excited about a Nadeau + Morrow as a reward for not landing Meier last year. We didn't eat our cake last year, so at least we still have it.

FWIW, Braun started college a year later for his age, and played 4 seasons, 150 games. Pretty cool for Morrow to break that record in 98 games.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
During tonights SHL game lineup between Färjestad and HV71, Joel Nyström announced that he signed with Färjestad the next two years. He can of course sign with Canes also but since he is under 24 years old and was drafted late in the draft, he needs to be on the NHL roster if he signs and if not, he is to be returned to the SHL and not the AHL. The SHL team could decline the return of that player, but that will rarely happen.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
During tonights SHL game lineup between Färjestad and HV71, Joel Nyström announced that he signed with Färjestad the next two years. He can of course sign with Canes also but since he is under 24 years old and was drafted late in the draft, he needs to be on the NHL roster if he signs and if not, he is to be returned to the SHL and not the AHL. The SHL team could decline the return of that player, but that will rarely happen.
another draw back to not having an AHL team. Nystrom didnt want to wait and find out.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
another draw back to not having an AHL team. Nystrom didnt want to wait and find out.
He would not have been eligible for AHL no matter if you had an AHL team or not.
But sure, he signed since he probably didn't get any updates on what the plans for him was and that he was not signed either.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
He would not have been eligible for AHL no matter if you had an AHL team or not.
But sure, he signed since he probably didn't get any updates on what the plans for him was and that he was not signed either.
if he signed with us and not his SHL team, he would be. We would own his exclusive rights and would loan him to his SHL team if we wanted. Like we did with our Euro prospects who we sent back.

its moot though.

Last edited:

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
if he signed with us and not his SHL team, he would be. We would own his exclusive rights and would loan him to his SHL team if we wanted. Like we did with our Euro prospects who we sent back.
Yes, sorry, misunderstood you first. I think, looking at his development that Canes made a mistake by not signing him if only to have him as trade bait or keep control of their asset.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Yes, sorry, misunderstood you first. I think, looking at his development that Canes made a mistake by not signing him if only to have him as trade bait or keep control of their asset.
who knows. Without knowing where he would play next year. Im sure the canes said he wouldnt have much of a chance of making the roster without playing in the system first. I dont know that Nystrom would have signed unless we guaranteed loaning him the SHL. Which seems counterproductive if we are going to start his clock.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Looking at cap friendly this morning it states that we have 41 of 50 slots used.

Nystrom window is getting close. Any ideas on who they will sign in upcoming months?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well we don’t know at all that he didn’t talk to the team. Until they have an AHL team everything is in limbo, if anything they likely told the player to protect himself and get the best deal he could knowing they could still sign him. The Canes, likely because of the AHL situation have been drafting almost exclusively overseas the last couple of years, it buys them some time for figuring this mess out. It’s certainly an interesting choice, and it’s hard to imagine they haven’t done some damage to the development process through that decision but that’s something different than avoiding those prospects and not talking to them.

I would hope the lines of communication are open.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well we don’t know at all that he didn’t talk to the team. Until they have an AHL team everything is in limbo, if anything they likely told the player to protect himself and get the best deal he could knowing they could still sign him. The Canes, likely because of the AHL situation have been drafting almost exclusively overseas the last couple of years, it buys them some time for figuring this mess out. It’s certainly an interesting choice, and it’s hard to imagine they haven’t done some damage to the development process through that decision but that’s something different than avoiding those prospects and not talking to them.

I would hope the lines of communication are open.
Yep. Heavy dose of Europe, USHL, and some BCHL. Which is fine with me because it still feels like all 3 areas are under-scouted and you get their rights for a minimum of 3 years... and get them indefinitely for the Russian players due to the lack of a transfer agreement. It's probably the smartest thing the team could do with as dicey a partner as Chicago has proven time and time again to be, before taking it to the next level with us.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
BC vs UMass game is pretty good so far. Gauthier for BC has 2 goals but both are fortunate bounces on distance shots. Mercuri scored for Umass on the PP

UNH is basically playing m2m defense on both Nadeau’s to try to shut them down. It’s working so far.

Reactions: geehaad

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Needless to say our two prospects weren’t overwhelming in last nights performance. They’re ded to me.

But seriously Blake is generally as advertised. At this level he’s explosive with quick hands and feet, always/immediately dangerous with the puck. His first instinct is to push forward asap, he’s a bit immature and borderline brattish about it. Charges into the fray with the puck over and over, always trying to take a mile where he’s given an inch. When you’re there you see all the little details like after a play fails and the whistle blows he repeatedly did full head eye rolls to the sky and slumped his shoulders exaggeratedly as he went for the bench. A little bit of dramatics that made him look like a kid playing with his buddies not a guy about to step into the nhl. That’s not a criticism at all, it brought a smile. it’s just a reminder that they’re kids. He still has the air of one. He can’t change a bad game by himself. He went long stretches where the puck wasn’t coming to him and he pulled himself out of position to get it but it still wasn’t enough possession. He was quiet in the end, but in the moments he got the puck in scoring areas it was obvious what he’s capable of. A legit prospect who needs time and some maturity in his game, I don’t see someone who will jump right in at this point. He’s undersized, though he has the feel of his dad who was a small guy who made it. There’s enough well rounded about him to see a tenacious penalty killer.

Perron effectively disappeared most of the game. My friends were chatty and we were drinking so I chocked it up to not paying enough attention. In the third I saw him step on the ice and take a quick spin after a whistle and then he was in so I’m guessing he was hurt for a bit. I only saw him a couple of times after, though one time was a rush where he sprinted up the ice trying to beat everyone and failed right at the end, a brilliant effort but it had no real chance. He’s tiny. NCAA is generally full of small guys, Blake is small but he looks normalish at this level, Perron looked like someone’s kid brother. He’s a water bug that will have to really exceed to be the one that makes it at that size but he has the raw tools needed to try. Didn’t see enough to say more.

I love college hockey. They play like it matters every night, they hit everything that moves. They play for pride and team. Davey can beat Goliath any night and it happened here. There was a huge momentum swing in the second, and CC rode that wave to an insurmountable lead and could sit on it for the third. Scored a couple more off ND’s mistakes which are inevitable when you’re pushing to get back in the game. They play again tonight and I suspect ND will not take the loss well. Hopefully I can find that on tv.

Robson arena is amazing. Just a lower bowl and at the top of the bowl there’s a bar top level that wraps all the way around. There are tons of bar stools for each section and those are paid seats, you can’t just walk up to one and I imagine they sell quick as I had no chance to buy one. Not a bad seat in the house and everything is brand new. If ever visiting I recommend it, though Magness arena for DU is also a great venue.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Needless to say our two prospects weren’t overwhelming in last nights performance. They’re ded to me.

But seriously Blake is generally as advertised. At this level he’s explosive with quick hands and feet, always/immediately dangerous with the puck. His first instinct is to push forward asap, he’s a bit immature and borderline brattish about it. Charges into the fray with the puck over and over, always trying to take a mile where he’s given an inch. When you’re there you see all the little details like after a play fails and the whistle blows he repeatedly did full head eye rolls to the sky and slumped his shoulders exaggeratedly as he went for the bench. A little bit of dramatics that made him look like a kid playing with his buddies not a guy about to step into the nhl. That’s not a criticism at all, it brought a smile. it’s just a reminder that they’re kids. He still has the air of one. He can’t change a bad game by himself. He went long stretches where the puck wasn’t coming to him and he pulled himself out of position to get it but it still wasn’t enough possession. He was quiet in the end, but in the moments he got the puck in scoring areas it was obvious what he’s capable of. A legit prospect who needs time and some maturity in his game, I don’t see someone who will jump right in at this point. He’s undersized, though he has the feel of his dad who was a small guy who made it. There’s enough well rounded about him to see a tenacious penalty killer.

Perron effectively disappeared most of the game. My friends were chatty and we were drinking so I chocked it up to not paying enough attention. In the third I saw him step on the ice and take a quick spin after a whistle and then he was in so I’m guessing he was hurt for a bit. I only saw him a couple of times after, though one time was a rush where he sprinted up the ice trying to beat everyone and failed right at the end, a brilliant effort but it had no real chance. He’s tiny. NCAA is generally full of small guys, Blake is small but he looks normalish at this level, Perron looked like someone’s kid brother. He’s a water bug that will have to really exceed to be the one that makes it at that size but he has the raw tools needed to try. Didn’t see enough to say more.

I love college hockey. They play like it matters every night, they hit everything that moves. They play for pride and team. Davey can beat Goliath any night and it happened here. There was a huge momentum swing in the second, and CC rode that wave to an insurmountable lead and could sit on it for the third. Scored a couple more off ND’s mistakes which are inevitable when you’re pushing to get back in the game. They play again tonight and I suspect ND will not take the loss well. Hopefully I can find that on tv.

Robson arena is amazing. Just a lower bowl and at the top of the bowl there’s a bar top level that wraps all the way around. There are tons of bar stools for each section and those are paid seats, you can’t just walk up to one and I imagine they sell quick as I had no chance to buy one. Not a bad seat in the house and everything is brand new. If ever visiting I recommend it, though Magness arena for DU is also a great venue.
I loved growing up in CT/RI and going to Yale, PC, and Brown games. I went to a BU game back when Grier played for them and that was an electric atmosphere. College hockey is so much fun to attend. That’s what I miss most about living up there. I wish NC State and chapel hill would lean into it, I think it could really take off here.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I loved growing up in CT/RI and going to Yale, PC, and Brown games. I went to a BU game back when Grier played for them and that was an electric atmosphere. College hockey is so much fun to attend. That’s what I miss most about living up there. I wish NC State and chapel hill would lean into it, I think it could really take off here.
Even going to lower tier games like the Div 3 team I lived near in Elmira is an absolute blast. In a lot of ways it's similar to minor league baseball in that the games at that level are just flat out more fun to attend. I'd love to see more places like UNC, Duke, NCSU, UVA, WVU, etc get into the NCAA hockey game, but there's a variety of reasons that they don't unfortunately. And even then the talks of getting a team going at that level at a smaller school they almost always going with something else instead: Kennesaw State, High Point, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad