Injury Report: 2023-24 Injury thread (McGinn out 4 months after back surgery)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022
Why would he not be legitimately hurt? He hasn’t played since January 27th. I’m just surprised they didn’t do this sooner
Verbeek doesn't seem to like putting people on IR until/unless he absolutely has to, IIRC there were a couple of similar moves last year.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Why would he not be legitimately hurt? He hasn’t played since January 27th. I’m just surprised they didn’t do this sooner
Because according to Lee, he'd been practicing regularly even though he hasn't been playing. He'd been on a line with the healthy scratches (like Leason) or guys coming back from injury (like Killorn).

There are no practice reports on the road, but before they left Anaheim, he was on the ice every time. I suppose it's possible he injured himself working out on the road, but it's not like it's uncommon to find a reason to IR someone in any sport when you need a roster spot.

Last edited:

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Because according to Lee, he'd been practicing regularly even though he hasn't been playing. He'd been on a line with the healthy scratches (like Leason) or guys coming back from injury (like Killorn).

There are no practice reports on the road, but before they left Anaheim, he was on the ice every time. I suppose it's possible he injured himself working out on the road, but it's not like it's uncommon to find a reason to IR someone in any sport when you need a roster spot.
I feel like it is fairly uncommon… I’d have to imagine that any player forced onto IR when they’re not injured would be getting their agent and the NHLPA on the phone ASAP.

Seems more likely that McGinn has a concussion or something that is nagging

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I feel like it is fairly uncommon… I’d have to imagine that any player forced onto IR when they’re not injured would be getting their agent and the NHLPA on the phone ASAP.

Seems more likely that McGinn has a concussion or something that is nagging
I think when you're an over paid 4th liner, IR is preferred to passing through waivers and then riding the buses to collect your check.

Reactions: McDonald19 and ADHB

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I think another 3 weeks he comes back.. Ankle Surgeries are the worst.
I can confirm ankle surgeries are an absolute horror, and to be quite frank, my experience was that it was much more difficult to come back from an ankle surgery compared to an ACL surgery - and I had to get an artificial ACL from a tendon in my thigh (ligamentum ex semitendinosus), which complicated things in the knee surgery.

But it's not just surgeries that suck like a Blackhawk, it's injuries in general. I tore two ligaments in my right ankle (for the fifth time, granted) five months ago and STILL have recurring pain in this joint.

tl;dr
Zegras will most likely be cleared to practice without contact in 1-2 weeks, but might need up to four more weeks before actually being an alternative for a roster spot. He most likely won't be at 100% before next training camp.

• Wow
Reactions: Ducks DVM and Kalv

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
I can confirm ankle surgeries are an absolute horror, and to be quite frank, my experience was that it was much more difficult to come back from an ankle surgery compared to an ACL surgery - and I had to get an artificial ACL from a tendon in my thigh (ligamentum ex semitendinosus), which complicated things in the knee surgery.

But it's not just surgeries that suck like a Blackhawk, it's injuries in general. I tore two ligaments in my right ankle (for the fifth time, granted) five months ago and STILL have recurring pain in this joint.

tl;dr
Zegras will most likely be cleared to practice without contact in 1-2 weeks, but might need up to four more weeks before actually being an alternative for a roster spot. He most likely won't be at 100% before next training camp.
This seems really accurate . I wonder if z’s fracture is just one of the long bones near the ankle or at the actual joint.

Even if not at the joint I’d imagine it would be not a simple recovery as ice skating would put so much pressure on the surgical repair.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
This seems really accurate . I wonder if z’s fracture is just one of the long bones near the ankle or at the actual joint.

Even if not at the joint I’d imagine it would be not a simple recovery as ice skating would put so much pressure on the surgical repair.
Problem with the ankles are the ligaments all around it. It's a bitch to recover from.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
IMG_5015.jpeg

Brace/splint on his ankle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad