Injury Report: 2023-24 Injury thread (McGinn out 4 months after back surgery)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Time to showcase Max I guess… can’t see more than a late 3rd round return, but it would be better than nothing if we don’t plan to resign him…

a 3rd? Im a jones fan, but hes not bringing back more than a 6th. And at best I'd say its a swap of 2 struggling young players.

Edit: last bit was a little harsh. He can be a decent bottom 6 if he can stay healthy but hes shown to be a 20 point guy at best so far, who has a motor and inconsistent physical presence. I dont think he files for arbitration, I dont think he will get anywhere near his arbitration number. I do see Anaheim thinking hes a good locker room guy and giving him a couple years at or close to league minimum.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
a 3rd? Im a jones fan, but hes not bringing back more than a 6th. And at best I'd say its a swap of 2 struggling young players.

Edit: last bit was a little harsh. He can be a decent bottom 6 if he can stay healthy but hes shown to be a 20 point guy at best so far, who has a motor and inconsistent physical presence. I dont think he files for arbitration, I dont think he will get anywhere near his arbitration number. I do see Anaheim thinking hes a good locker room guy and giving him a couple years at or close to league minimum.
He is eligible for arbitration and his QO is $1.5M

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Hes eligible. I dont know that hes worth $1.5mil right now. Is he?
To me no but there's also other players I'd rather see fill out depth in the lineup at this point as I think Max is running out of upside. Ready to start seeing what the Tracey/Regenda/Nesterenko/Perreault group can do at the NHL level. He will have a career being a depth forward for other teams but it won't be here.

Last edited:

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
To me no but there's also other players I'd rather see fill out depth in the lineup at this point as I think Max is running out of upside. Ready to start seeing what the Tracey/Regenda/Nesterenko/Perreault group can do at the NHL level. He will have a career being a depth forward for other teams but it won't be here.

Hes seemingly best friends with the entire roster and always upbeat. You have to wonder how far being a hard working locker room guy will take him. $900k or less, does it hurt to have him as a 4th line or 13th forward?

Unless he makes a huge push here at the end of the season, I dont think this goes to arbitration. But I see there being interest in bringing him back.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Hes seemingly best friends with the entire roster and always upbeat. You have to wonder how far being a hard working locker room guy will take him. $900k or less, does it hurt to have him as a 4th line or 13th forward?

Unless he makes a huge push here at the end of the season, I dont think this goes to arbitration. But I see there being interest in bringing him back.

He's not going to make 900k or less with the Ducks though. If they give him a QO he'll take it. If they don't he'll be a UFA and at that point some team will offer him better deal/role.

Reactions: MMC

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
He's not going to make 900k or less with the Ducks though. If they give him a QO he'll take it. If they don't he'll be a UFA and at that point some team will offer him better deal/role.

If they ink a deal before hand, they dont have to make the QO of $1.5mil. He may decide to hit UFA and go that route but I dont think he will be looking at offers near that QO.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Crazy how Max suffers an injury seemingly every year that puts him out for large swaths of games. Have to imagine it's impacted his development a bit over the years, although it's not like he'd be a scorer otherwise or anything like that.

Reactions: Arthuros

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
If they ink a deal before hand, they dont have to make the QO of $1.5mil. He may decide to hit UFA and go that route but I dont think he will be looking at offers near that QO.

True I guess I'm just looking at things how I would view them from his POV. If the outcomes are (1. Sign for 900k with the Ducks. 2. Taking the QO. 3. Hitting UFA and getting 900k with a better team.) I would never go with option 1.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

With the stupid money being issued to 4th liners like Dickinson and Foglino, 1.5 is cheap and what’s an extra 500k overpay for a popular locker room guy. I mean anyone signing with us will be either be extremely desperate or asking for a big overpay like Killorn.

If we get any luck, and we are extremely due… he can pull off a career year like Beleskey and be a trade asset next year. But if we have other targets in mind, Max is a profile playoff teams would want… size/speed/compete like a poor man’s Nick Paul. That’s at least a 3rd.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
True I guess I'm just looking at things how I would view them from his POV. If the outcomes are (1. Sign for 900k with the Ducks. 2. Taking the QO. 3. Hitting UFA and getting 900k with a better team.) I would never go with option 1.

Well #2 likely isnt even an option.

Jones is very close with a few guys on the team, so that support and friendship may entice him to stay. Comtois didnt exactly have an easy go of it on the open market, granted he had a few other issues against him.

Question may come down to... Take the guaranteed option, or bet on yourself and go to the open market, even though you havent proven much at this point?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Crazy how Max suffers an injury seemingly every year that puts him out for large swaths of games. Have to imagine it's impacted his development a bit over the years, although it's not like he'd be a scorer otherwise or anything like that.

Max has suffered injuries after we drafted him in 2016. He's got crazy bad luck with injuries that it's probably derailed his development since being drafted.

D+0 (2016) = 63 reg season games in OHL
D+1 (2017) = 33 reg season games in OHL
D+2 (2018) = 31 reg season games in OHL

=======
Gone Pro
=======

D+3 (2019) = 43 reg season games in AHL and 30 reg games in NHL (mostly healthy all season!)
D+4 (2020) = 8 reg season games in AHL and 59 games in NHL
D+5 (2021) = 46 reg season games in NHL (56 game season)
D+6 (2022) = 2 reg season games
D+7 (2023) = 69 reg season games
D+8 (2024, current season) = 34 games (out of 49 games)

I love Max's "bull in a China shop" heavy game, but he's just made out of glass for so long now.

Verbeek's walked away from Steel and Milano. It looks like Jones might be tracking the same path. Like @MMC cited above, there are other players in the AHL that could take up that NHL roster spot like a Regenda.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com

1706647858537.png

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Max has suffered injuries after we drafted him in 2016. He's got crazy bad luck with injuries that it's probably derailed his development since being drafted.

D+0 (2016) = 63 reg season games in OHL
D+1 (2017) = 33 reg season games in OHL
D+2 (2018) = 31 reg season games in OHL

=======
Gone Pro
=======

D+3 (2019) = 43 reg season games in AHL and 30 reg games in NHL (mostly healthy all season!)
D+4 (2020) = 8 reg season games in AHL and 59 games in NHL
D+5 (2021) = 46 reg season games in NHL (56 game season)
D+6 (2022) = 2 reg season games
D+7 (2023) = 69 reg season games
D+8 (2024, current season) = 34 games (out of 49 games)

I love Max's "bull in a China shop" heavy game, but he's just made out of glass for so long now.

Verbeek's walked away from Steel and Milano. It looks like Jones might be tracking the same path. Like @MMC cited above, there are other players in the AHL that could take up that NHL roster spot like a Regenda.

I dont see Jones in the same camp as Steel or Milano, even though he may suffer the same fate. I think the only wrong thing to do is to give him a QO (or a contract above what a QO would be), everything else I can understand.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

Killorn should take as looooooong as he needs to get to 100%.

He put up points regardless, but I don't think I can watch much more of him labouring around. He's old enough that forcing himself to play will just bring him to the end of his career quicker.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad