2023-24 Hart Memorial Trophy finalists: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Connor McDavid | Winner: Nathan MacKinnon

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well-deserved win for Mac. Congratulations.

Panarin receiving 3 first place votes is puzzling. I'm guessing New York media pulled that stunt - very self-absorbed. Flip Pastrnak (more valuable player on his team) and Panarin and the overall rankings would look a little better.

Reactions: TheStatican

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
It was Kucherov who should won this Hart.

But you can't give your Hart to the Russian. Even if Kucherov was the only reason why Tampa was play off team, without any real support, in the time when Colorado had much better roster and more productive "support". +100 passes season, plus points leadership.

It's okay, it's not NM who played 3 finals in a row and won two. Even if he won in the third one. League should price their puppies even with by paper trophies and chocolate medals.

Pathetic? Yes. Its not the first time, its not the last time.
If they can't give the hart to Russian players then who won it in 2019? Who won it in 2008, 2009 2012, and 2013? Weird that 5 of the last 20 hart trophies were won by nobody since the winners clearly don't exist.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I said it in the “who should win” topic, but based off the definition of the trophy it should have been Kuch who wins it. Kucherov was the most valuable to his team’s success last season. Tampa might have been selling off assets early this season if it wasn’t for Kucherov.

However knowing the way that the trophy is voted on, where it’s who is the best player in that given season, I predicted MacKinnon. MacKinnon was borderline unstoppable for almost the entire season. Did he have a better supporting cast? Absolutely. However that shouldn’t take away from his deservedness of this award.

I’d be excited to see the voter breakdown. I can imagine it was very close for both this and Lindsay voting.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Just checked and...nope he sure wasn't.
He sure is. Points, weaker team, weaker partners, 100 assists season. He is the most important player for his team.

But yeah, you can believe in fair Hart this year.

If they can't give the hart to Russian players then who won it in 2019? Who won it in 2008, 2009 2012, and 2013? Weird that 5 of the last 20 hart trophies were won by nobody since the winners clearly don't exist.
And btw Shestyorkin was robbed too.

• Haha
Reactions: Regal

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
I know the refalanche fans are use to being favored like their game 6 against the Stars

But lets face the facts, Kucherov >>> Mackinnon all day, every day. Somehow the guy who scored less points on a better team won the Hart. What a joke.

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: Turbonium

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
No doubt did Mackinnon have a great season.. but to me, I feel Kucherov had a better season and was more valuable to his team than Mac was.

Doesnt matter, I like Nathan to and have he won it to - he's been one of the best in the league for many years now and winning it over peak Kuch and McDavid is truly amazing.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I mean considering you’re so adamant on the definition of the Hart Trophy, you might want to look up the definition on “fictitious”.
It will change the merit of this award. Or I used “merit” word in the wrong way? Please teach me. Looks like you are joining things like that or well deserved NM Hart. It is absolutely making your point more truthful. You have convinced me, thank you.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He sure is. Points, weaker team, weaker partners, 100 assists season. He is the most important player for his team.

But yeah, you can believe in fair Hart this year.
More points isn't that big of a deal when it's all empty net points. Not to dismiss their value, but you could also say MacKinnon had 7 more goals (10 more even strength) and goals are more valuable than assists. It's like taking a magnifying glass over an 82 game season. Both guys were insanely productive.

Weaker team and no support. Sure, the Avs finished higher in the standings, but did you forget about guys like Point, Stamkos, Hagel, Hedman?

Don't get me wrong, Kuch absolutely led the way and Tampa wasn't that impressive. But the problem is you're overrating the Avalanche team. Colorado had 2 forwards scoring over 60 points - MacK and Rantanen, as Nuke and Lehkonen missed a combined 65 games. Tampa had 3 forwards scoring over 80 points, and Duclair was a big boost offensively post-TDL. Makar outproduced Hedman, but Victor was still near PPG.

Just like Tampa, the Avs bottom 6 wasn't some luxurious thing either. Both teams were top heavy.

Aside from numbers, personally I love the way MacKinnon drives the play and draws the opposing team back creating room for his team, it's invaluable. Not many players in the history of the game can gallop through the neutral zone like he does. He also plays center that's inherently the more valuable position and includes some responsibilities that wingers don't have.

Kuch's 100 assist season was a great story and a great accomplishment, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think this was a toss-up. Did MacK not having a Hart to his name affect the voting, amongst other things? Probably. But honestly at the end of the day watching these guys for the past 7 years or so playing at the level they have, I think it's fitting both guys have won the trophy now.

The fact that MacK also won the Lindsay speaks about what his competition think of him.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Both choices are more than dserving to win this award. I don't trust the voters as much as the players though these days. So maybe they got it right this year.

Admittely as a Canadian, I do feel there may have been some off ice considerations with this award. But you can't argue either it was so close.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
More points isn't that big of a deal when it's all empty net points. Not to dismiss their value, but you could also say MacKinnon had 7 more goals (10 more even strength) and goals are more valuable than assists. It's like taking a magnifying glass over an 82 game season. Both guys were insanely productive.

Weaker team and no support. Sure, the Avs finished higher in the standings, but did you forget about guys like Point, Stamkos, Hagel, Hedman?

Don't get me wrong, Kuch absolutely led the way and Tampa wasn't that impressive. But the problem is you're overrating the Avalanche team. Colorado had 2 forwards scoring over 60 points - MacK and Rantanen, as Nuke and Lehkonen missed a combined 65 games. Tampa had 3 forwards scoring over 80 points, and Duclair was a big boost offensively post-TDL. Makar outproduced Hedman, but Victor was still near PPG.

Just like Tampa, the Avs bottom 6 wasn't some luxurious thing either. Both teams were top heavy.

Aside from numbers, personally I love the way MacKinnon drives the play and draws the opposing team back creating room for his team, it's invaluable. Not many players in the history of the game can gallop through the neutral zone like he does. He also plays center that's inherently the more valuable position and includes some responsibilities that wingers don't have.

Kuch's 100 assist season was a great story and a great accomplishment, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think this was a toss-up. Did MacK not having a Hart to his name affect the voting, amongst other things? Probably. But honestly at the end of the day watching these guys for the past 7 years or so playing at the level they have, I think it's fitting both guys have won the trophy now.

The fact that MacK also won the Lindsay speaks about what his competition think of him.
Kucherov has more value for Tampa. He has more points than NM. He has 100 assists season and it’s more important than 7 more goals. Tampa is weaker team with weaker roster and weaker partners. It’s not a debate. As it’s not a debate at all for people who made votes. So it’s clear who won and why.

And I don’t have something against NM. He is clearly one of the best and I like his overall game little more than McDavid.but it was just a huge season from Kucherov. Colorado would be playoff team if NM was injured. Tampa wouldn’t without Kucherov.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Why are you confused and how is it odd…? They’re voted on by two entirely different groups. Also, clearly there was some unanimity amongst both writers and players that MacK was the best, which means maybe it wasn’t as close as some fans imagined in the first place.
The same criteria that was used to get Hall the hart (point gap over teammates) is suddenly irrelevant with Kucherov this year.

And it's more egregious considering Hall was nowhere close to the Art Ross unlike Kucherov who won it.

Im not saying it's some anti Russian bias or anything, I don't even have a strong stance on the "production gap over linemates" argument. But it goes to show how fickle Hart trophy narratives are. Again, I just expected a trophy split with how close the race was. (I do think Mackinnon had the better season if I had to choose)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Kucherov has more value for Tampa. He has more points than NM. He has 100 assists season and it’s more important than 7 more goals. Tampa is weaker team with weaker roster and weaker partners. It’s not a debate. As it’s not a debate at all for people who made votes. So it’s clear who won and why.

And I don’t have something against NM. He is clearly one of the best and I like his overall game little more than McDavid.but it was just a huge season from Kucherov. Colorado would be playoff team if NM was injured. Tampa wouldn’t without Kucherov.
But that's your personal opinion. MacK had 89 assists. Personally if I really had to choose, 10 ES goals over 11 more assists is probably what I would go with, especially when the point difference was through empty net points. Not that it really makes a big difference anyway. Certainly not enough to slam dunk decide a trophy. It's apples to oranges, some people prefer the other.

I will say though, again I think you overrate Colorado's team without MacKinnon. They didn't even have a 2C coming into the season after Johansen flopped. Combined with the teams tendency to have other injuries, MacK done for the season early would've been an utter disaster. I don't care what the teams reputation is, making the playoffs without a single top 6 C and at times half your top 6 injured is a hell of a task and you can't really say they would've traded for someone in this hypothetical since the player wasn't part of the team to begin with helping him get the trophy.

22-23 they won 2 games in regulation of the 11 he missed and that was with Compher who played big minutes all year long and performed well. It would've been a lot more coin flip games/games where they can't score, and that's not sustainable long-term.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020

100 assists is a made up barrier. Selfish Mr LTIR can't make players around him better while everyone thrives when MacKinnon is around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad