OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Juuuuust did enough. And there is a good chance, if I understand it correctly, that we will be facing Venezuela in the next knockout round. They should be the winners of Group B. Not a known soccer power, obviously playing well this tournament and beat Mexico, but still not the worst possible draw by any means!

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Absolute dreadful performance by the Azzurri. In almost 30years of watching them, that's one of the worst games I've ever seen. They gave up at half time. No pace, no urgency, no creativity.

Dogcrap strikers and midfielders too.

Donnarumma, Calafiori and Chiesa are the only ones worth being on the team. The rest are just crap.

Full marks to Switzerland, they deserved it.
So funny lately. This flop. Missing 2018 and 2022. Yet right in the middle of all this failure go and win a weird Covid Euro outta nowhere.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I thought Canada played a pretty depressing game, got lucky that Chile was a man down. Did well to use speed along the wings to create space, but actually making plays or getting the balls into the middle was a mighty struggle. Hopeless at connecting on crosses or using the man advantage to beat defenders. Then a lot of turnovers and mishandled balls without much pressure that gave Chile good possession they shouldn't have had.

Oh well, just enough to squeezy by...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I thought Canada played a pretty depressing game, got lucky that Chile was a man down. Did well to use speed along the wings to create space, but actually making plays or getting the balls into the middle was a mighty struggle. Hopeless at connecting on crosses or using the man advantage to beat defenders. Then a lot of turnovers and mishandled balls without much pressure that gave Chile good possession they shouldn't have had.

Oh well, just enough to squeezy by...
They scored one goal in the group play (which was one more than Peru and Chile). Squeeze by indeed.

Reactions: ziploc and Bubbles

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It sucks that crooked refereeing is built in and apparentry has a romantic charm to it in the World's Game, because Canada is not in the club of those allowed to benefit from it. Never will be. Cannot come out and punch the bully in the face first cause we will just get sternly rebuked by refs. f*** man. Feels bad.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It sucks that crooked refereeing is built in and apparentry has a romantic charm to it in the World's Game, because Canada is not in the club of those allowed to benefit from it. Never will be. Cannot come out and punch the bully in the face first cause we will just get sternly rebuked by refs. f*** man. Feels bad.
Well, Canada did play two matches against teams that went down a man due to a red card ...

Reactions: ziploc and TruKnyte

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Shoulda been multiple both games I thought
It's true though. This tournament in particular is being played according to the "well they can't red card us all!" philosophy.

It's been the tactic for years against Argentina. Smother Messi and foul him at every opportunity. If you foul often enough then each individual foul kind of gets lost in the wash (certain politicians operate with this M.O. as well).

This is how headbutts get passed over.

Reactions: LandfiII

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
England has a legit path to the Euro finals that bypasses Germany, France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Italy.

And they are going to fumble it to Slovakia, aren't they?

WOW! Literally the last minute!

And now KANE in extra time!

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
crying for slovakia :(
Knew it was inevitable when they were given 6 minutes of injury time. Horrible clearances by Slovakia. Zero real plan to carry the ball into the English half. Their team was barely able to stand at the 92 minute mark.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Knew it was inevitable when they were given 6 minutes of injury time. Horrible clearances by Slovakia. Zero real plan to carry the ball into the English half. Their team was barely able to stand at the 92 minute mark.
Yeah but that's what they needed to do. Park the bus. Literally the only way for smaller nations to beat these powerhouses.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Completely un-deserved win. They played 5 minutes the entire match. They've played 4 terrible games.

Cheering for Switzerland fully. It'll be a completely different game.

Southgate only managed to extend his job by 4 days.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Completely un-deserved win. They played 5 minutes the entire match. They've played 4 terrible games.

Cheering for Switzerland fully. It'll be a completely different game.

Southgate only managed to extend his job by 4 days.
Swiss should be the favourites I think. But that whole side of the draw is weak in comparison to the other side. Romania v Netherlands or Austria v Turkey - The Netherlands haven't really looked good, and none of the rest are historic powerhouses. Austria has probably looked the best so far.

While the other side has Spain, Germany, France, Portugal, and Belgium. Weird how that all worked out.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Swiss should be the favourites I think. But that whole side of the draw is weak in comparison to the other side. Romania v Netherlands or Austria v Turkey - The Netherlands haven't really looked good, and none of the rest are historic powerhouses. Austria has probably looked the best so far.

While the other side has Spain, Germany, France, Portugal, and Belgium. Weird how that all worked out.
The Netherlands may have looked mediocre, but they still outplayed Austria for most of the match and if it wasn't for Dumfries offside they could have beaten France. They could have ended up with 9 points if things go differently. I don't know what Portugal or Belgium have done in their group stage performance that would put them ahead of the Netherlands tbh.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Southgate saved by a miracle.

He’s such a shit coach. Completely negative tactics all the time.

I could care less about how they do the rest of the way, he has to go.

Reactions: Bubbles

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Has there been an improvement in sportsmanship in international soccer? I don't watch a lot. It seems to me in these Euros that there's been less milking of injuries, more respect between players (pats on the back even after hard tackles, that sort of thing).

I understand that there's been a crackdown on dissent, which makes for better viewing. It's irritating watching half a dozen players surround the referee after calls.

And ... Spain ties it up.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Belgium aren’t very good anymore.

France should have been on the other side but screwed up.

Portugal can be incredible or garbage.

It’s really down to Spain, Germany or France.

Austria has played phenomenal so I would not write them off either.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Has there been an improvement in sportsmanship in international soccer? I don't watch a lot. It seems to me in these Euros that there's been less milking of injuries, more respect between players (pats on the back even after hard tackles, that sort of thing).

I understand that there's been a crackdown on dissent, which makes for better viewing. It's irritating watching half a dozen players surround the referee after calls.

The sportsmanship has been a lot better over the years. I think the culture football culture in Europe has drifted against diving and unsportsmanship. If you are playing for the pride of your nation as one of the smaller nations I think there is more pressure to not embarrass your nation.

I'd expect things to get a little more dirty if big rivals play against each other.

Copa America however... Is a complete shitshow..

Reactions: ziploc and Lindgren

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Man, what a good summer for entertainment though, Copa America, Euros, Wimbledon, Tour De France, Olympics, Cricket WC, Canucks playoff run, and F1.

Some good shows too like The Boys, Bridgerton, and House of the dragon.

Absolute banger of a summer.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

In Europe most of the players know each other from their club teams, so there's a lot less mutual hatred. VAR has stopped a bit of the diving, but it's still there.

If you're talking about wasting time with the lead, every European team big or small still does it. Shithousery at it's finest.

CONMEBOWL, that's not even football, lol. It's almost it's own sport.

Reactions: Lindgren and WTG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad