Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Colorado Eagles and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Aren't the Charlotte Checkers owners the same way?
Not dissimilar. Frankly Martin Lind of the Eagles doesn't have the best rep either. It will be interesting to watch that unfold as the 10 year agreement winds down.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not dissimilar. Frankly Martin Lind of the Eagles doesn't have the best rep either. It will be interesting to watch that unfold as the 10 year agreement winds down.
I think there's a lot of pressure to keep that unity. Would Lind break it and risk of the team collapsing back to the ECHL if they couldn't find an NHL parent? I am not saying they wouldn't find another relationship with another NHL team, but if you can't extend with the Avs who are down the road and where the majority of the players live (Denver), then that could be a red flag for others.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think there's a lot of pressure to keep that unity. Would Lind break it and risk of the team collapsing back to the ECHL if they couldn't find an NHL parent? I am not saying they wouldn't find another relationship with another NHL team, but if you can't extend with the Avs who are down the road and where the majority of the players live (Denver), then that could be a red flag for others.
Yet Charlotte and Chicago keep finding takers... frankly as long as there are not more AHL teams than NHL teams, there will be takers.

Lind is the type to risk it. He's a pretty shrewd businessman and pushes things to their extreme. He's done it before in many other dealings.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Saw someone else say it but I was wondering the same thing about if Aamodt is injured cause I didn’t expect him to be health bombed for other guys. Wondering if David Farrance is hurt too.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Yet Charlotte and Chicago keep finding takers... frankly as long as there are not more AHL teams than NHL teams, there will be takers.

Lind is the type to risk it. He's a pretty shrewd businessman and pushes things to their extreme. He's done it before in many other dealings.
Wouldn't the AHL create a franchise for the Avs if they had enough of the Eagles? Avs could own and operate their farm club. How protective is the AHL of it's franchises knowing they are a servant to the NHL?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

The man is still literally holding the ECHL Trophy hostage years after they departed the league. You really don't think he'd risk losing an affiliation?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wouldn't the AHL create a franchise for the Avs if they had enough of the Eagles? Avs could own and operate their farm club. How protective is the AHL of it's franchises knowing they are a servant to the NHL?
No they wouldn’t… getting a 31st and 32nd club was a bit if an ordeal. Getting a 33rd for fun wouldn’t fly

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
No they wouldn’t… getting a 31st and 32nd club was a bit if an ordeal. Getting a 33rd for fun wouldn’t fly
I find it weird that the NHL has not more power over the AHL. I mean what is the AHL without it's affiliation agreement with the NHL? Maybe things changed when the NHL teams ceased to own their farm clubs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Good luck selling Eagles tix without the affiliation with the Avs.
They’ve done really well without the Avs even in the ECHL.
I find it weird that the NHL has not more power over the AHL. I mean what is the AHL without its affiliation agreement with the NHL? Maybe things changed when the NHL teams ceased to own their farm clubs.
Just a different business model and far less revenue

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I find it weird that the NHL has not more power over the AHL. I mean what is the AHL without it's affiliation agreement with the NHL? Maybe things changed when the NHL teams ceased to own their farm clubs.

Incidentally, did all NHL teams own their own affiliates at one time? That would strike me as odd. Feels like it's a rare case these days where the NHL owner and AHL owner are one and the same (i.e., Buffalo/Rochester, and the Amerks owners were giant pains in the ass themselves before Pegula stepped in and basically bought them off).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Incidentally, did all NHL teams own their own affiliates at one time? That would strike me as odd. Feels like it's a rare case these days where the NHL owner and AHL owner are one and the same (i.e., Buffalo/Rochester, and the Amerks owners were giant pains in the ass themselves before Pegula stepped in and basically bought them off).
I don’t think that has ever happened. There used to be a lot more minor leagues where teams spread that wealth between a few. They all eventually condensed to the AHL as the AAA league and it has always been a separate league. Frankly, with out the Flyers ownership stepping in during the 70s, we may have more of a NFL sort of system.

IIRC it was only 2010 when all NHL teams were directly affiliated with the AHL.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I think back in the 80s-90w the teams owned the AHL affiliates, or at least it felt like it as they moved the teams constantly and seemed to be in charge. IHL was half-affiliated half-independent.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think back in the 80s-90w the teams owned the AHL affiliates, or at least it felt like it as they moved the teams constantly and seemed to be in charge. IHL was half-affiliated half-independent.
That was more market issues than NHL affiliation. It has mostly been independent. This recent boom has lead to the most NHL ownership in the league since the 70s and earlier. The 80s to mid 2000s were especially chaotic with ownership (and I don’t think we are even at half now). The recent agreements and local ties have stabilized things.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I read an article on it, but can't find anything when I search. I believe he also made an apology to the Kelly family. Not 100% sure on that but I do know he gave the cup back, although it was after they had to make a new one. I think he kept it like a year or so.

Please share that article if you find it. I wasn't able to find any articles in the last few years about Lind returning the trophy.

In 2019 there were lots of articles talking about how they supposedly tried to return it multiple times and then "lost the address." Many had quotes from Commissioner Kelly saying they had to make a new trophy but he could still return it anytime. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Please share that article if you find it. I wasn't able to find any articles in the last few years about Lind returning the trophy.

In 2019 there were lots of articles talking about how they supposedly tried to return it multiple times and then "lost the address." Many had quotes from Commissioner Kelly saying they had to make a new trophy but he could still return it anytime. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?
No, I've read all those. I'll try and see if I can find out where I saw that

Found something, but it's behind a paywall:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad