B-Sens 2023-24 Belleville Senators

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
As "bad" as our prospect pool is, Kleven and Ostapchuk will be players, plus we have 2 goalies with high potential in Sogaard and Merilainen. Then there is Jarventiie who could be a Top-6 player if he keeps progressing like he has.

Plus, we have some possible sandpaper for the 4th line in Crookshank, Reinhardt and Boucher. Oh and I forgot Guenette who could be a decent 3rd pairing 2-way D-man

We need to add some skilled forwards and keep a guy like Boko as the policeman. Sucks that Daoust just can't stay healthy, I think he could be near PPG in the AHL.

One of Staios mandate is to restock the pool because after the guys I mentioned graduate, we won't have much left.
I have Crookshank as more than a sandpaper guy but agreed, it is thin but there are some pieces.

The good news is that because our NHL roster is so young we don't 'need' more than depth to graduate up for the next 4-5 years with the exception of the odd player. Not ideal but it's passable and all teams go through ebbs and flows, our ebb just happens to not be coming on the heels of playoff success. But we have a lot of capital at the NHL level that SS might be able to parlay that into a flow of prospects at a time when we are competitive and sustain our window deep into the future. Maybe it's better that Dorion's incompetency delayed our window until new management was ready to take over...? Now it can be stretched out further under new leadership (silver lining?)

Also, we are seeing Ridley evolve into a bit more than expected right before our eyes so some players could always exceed expectations. Not something you should account for but there is always the possiblity that you get bigger contributions than you expected. Tampa was emerging nicely before anyone accounted for Brayden Point, for example. Nobody expected Brad Marchand to become the player he did and push the entire Bruins franchise forward. Roope Hintz in Dallas etc... We don't have a player like them but our next second round (or higher) star could be closer at hand than we think.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Any regular watchers can comment on Boucher? It’ll take him 15-20 games to really assess but still what do we see? He’s missed a lot of time. Stay healthy and get game speed would be my only objectives. Next year push for a call-up

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Any regular watchers can comment on Boucher? It’ll take him 15-20 games to really assess but still what do we see? He’s missed a lot of time. Stay healthy and get game speed would be my only objectives. Next year push for a call-up
Nothing special so far. Replacement level AHL bottom 6 player at his current level. He's missed a lot so still wait and see.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I've watched the last two games and plan on watching more now that I've forked out $49.00 on a single team AHLtv account. I'm going to withhold any real opinion until I watch more.

I will say this, it appears to me he is being asked to work on his pro game and to not worry about point production or high event stuff etc... With that in mind the assessments of him may be a little less sexy than people want.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Roster Notes:

There have been no transactions for the Senators in between Saturday night’s game vs Laval and tonight. The injured list includes forwards Phil Daoust, Cole Reinhardt, Graham McPhee and Roby Jarventie. Full lineup information, including tonight’s alignment, will be available before the puck drop.

Who to Watch:

Belleville rookie blueliner Tyler Kleven is on the most productive stretch of his AHL career, points wise. The Fargo, North Dakota native has points in four straight games (one goal, three assists) and starting to show more confidence on the offensive side of the puck that led him to score 20 times over his NCAA career with the University of North Dakota. Angus Crookshank also has assists in back-to-back games, as well as nine shots on goal over his last two contests.

The Admirals have two players riding three game point streaks into tonight’s contest in Mark Jankoski (three goals, five assists) and Zach L’Heureux (three goals, two assists), but the real key to their recent success has been in net. Both Troy Grosenick (four games) and Yaroslav Askarov (six games) are on personal winning streaks, with the tandem combining for four shutouts throughout the Admirals current win streak.

Follow the action:

Today’s game starts at 8:00 p.m. (ET) and can be seen on AHL TV and heard on the Belleville Sens Entertainment Network.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have Crookshank as more than a sandpaper guy but agreed, it is thin but there are some pieces.

The good news is that because our NHL roster is so young we don't 'need' more than depth to graduate up for the next 4-5 years with the exception of the odd player. Not ideal but it's passable and all teams go through ebbs and flows, our ebb just happens to not be coming on the heels of playoff success. But we have a lot of capital at the NHL level that SS might be able to parlay that into a flow of prospects at a time when we are competitive and sustain our window deep into the future. Maybe it's better that Dorion's incompetency delayed our window until new management was ready to take over...? Now it can be stretched out further under new leadership (silver lining?)

Also, we are seeing Ridley evolve into a bit more than expected right before our eyes so some players could always exceed expectations. Not something you should account for but there is always the possiblity that you get bigger contributions than you expected. Tampa was emerging nicely before anyone accounted for Brayden Point, for example. Nobody expected Brad Marchand to become the player he did and push the entire Bruins franchise forward. Roope Hintz in Dallas etc... We don't have a player like them but our next second round (or higher) star could be closer at hand than we think.

Agreed with most of this. Thankfully we have many very valuable young assets so the need for ready prospects is not super high right now. But we need to make our drafting great again because we'll need it down the road.

Note that I was one of the few to be very high on Greig, I voted him over Pinto in the prospects rankings 3 years ago

Reactions: PlayersLtd

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
BELLEVILLE SENATORS SHOOTOUT
MILWAUKEE ADMIRALS SHOOTOUT

BSENS lose 4-3
Tyler Boucher

2nd
Tyler Boucher (#16)
Belleville Senators
G: 1 | A: 0

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
BELLEVILLE SENATORS SHOOTOUT
MILWAUKEE ADMIRALS SHOOTOUT

BSENS lose 4-3
Tyler Boucher

2nd
Tyler Boucher (#16)
Belleville Senators
G: 1 | A: 0

Oh yeah Baby Bou is coming through! It will take a minute as he needs mileage, but Boucher can be molded into an effective bottom 6 winger.

Last edited:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Good comeback by the BSens. They outplayed a good Milwaukee team for 40 minutes and eventually got rewarded by forcing overtime. Askarov was very good and wasn't going to be beat clean but they kept plugging away and managed to get the greasy goals they needed.

Outside of Crookshank Tyler Kleven is the most noticeable BSen from the games I've watched. He extended his point streak tonight with an assist on Boucher's late clutch goal. There are a couple rushes per game by Kleven that give a nice glimpse into just how good he is going to be.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boucher also wired one off the post just outside the circles off the rush in the 1st.
Milwaukee has a team stacked with recognizable prospects and lead their division with a .708 pts %. Belleville almost doubled their shots in the 2nd but were down 3-1 after 2. They never gave up and tied it with 2 goals in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I really like Kleven and am really pulling for him. IMO if Kleven just up his intensity/desire to take a game over a little and maintained it he could be a dominant player in the AHL. He would knock down the door and be up in Ottawa. He has the tools and can play and think the game it just has to happen all the time. Maybe its time. He's really never been "the guy" for a while at least. I think his coach should push him to be that player and I think he has it in him.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
#9 Angus Crookshank (11) ASST: Egor Sokolov (14), Matthew Highmore (12) POWER PLAY 15:58

#16 Tyler Boucher (2) ASST: #10 Zack Ostapchuk (6), #25 Tyler Kleven (11) 18:09
Nice for Crookshank get back on the board but that 3rd goal makeup is what I like to see all day!

See, even though I am not completely optimistic about Boucher I am HAPPY to see him get a chance on the top line, happy to see him score and hope he can stay healthy and keep progressing. Just like almost everyone.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Boucher also wired one off the post just outside the circles off the rush in the 1st.
Milwaukee has a team stacked with recognizable prospects and lead their division with a .708 pts %. Belleville almost doubled their shots in the 2nd but were down 3-1 after 2. They never gave up and tied it with 2 goals in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd.

What goes missing with Boucher is his skill level & NHL shot, injuries have derailed his career so far but he has the tools to be a good bottom six forward. He's also a decent playmaker but he needs to work on his intensity & determination, he's also got decent wheels.

There are a few prospects in Belleville that should be knocking on the door next yr in Kleven LD, Ostapchuk C/LW, Sogaard G & maybe Sokolov RW/LW & Guennette RD. Ottawa could use another RD/RW & Sokolov & Gunnette could fill those roles.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
What goes missing with Boucher is his skill level & NHL shot, injuries have derailed his career so far but he has the tools to be a good bottom six forward. He's also a decent playmaker but he needs to work on his intensity & determination, he's also got decent wheels.

There are a few prospects in Belleville that should be knocking on the door next yr in Kleven LD, Ostapchuk C/LW, Sogaard G & maybe Sokolov RW/LW & Guennette RD. Ottawa could use another RD/RW & Sokolov & Gunnette could fill those roles.
Not sure if it goes missing but his best skill in his skating imo. He is a phenomenal skater and it's noticeable the moment he steps on the ice. I also feel like the general athleticism that he was lauded for shows in his game. He is good along the boards and has nice hands, can trap the puck well etc thanks to his athleticism alone.

And then yeah his shot.

His tool set really shouldn't be in question, he has standout skills. It's simply whether he can pull it all together and if he has the hockey iq to apply it all to an NHL role.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Damn, now that's a bad goal... but I liked how Boucher brought the puck with authority, that's the player he needs to be

And yeah, Kleven will be a beast, if he ends up a Top-4 LHD, we'd have 4 of them lol

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Damn, now that's a bad goal... but I liked how Boucher brought the puck with authority, that's the player he needs to be

And yeah, Kleven will be a beast, if he ends up a Top-4 LHD, we'd have 4 of them lol
4 left handed top-4 D, what could go wrong? ;)

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Staios was asked about players in Belleville on tsn 1200 yesterday. He highlighted Kleven and Ostapchuk as standouts, and said it was nice to see Boucher healthy. He added Guenette in later too.

But he also made a point to say he wants to ensure they take their time with them and let them develop so that when they come up they’re ready. Only one I thought we might see as a regular next year is Kleven but even him I could see them holding off on.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Staios was asked about players in Belleville on tsn 1200 yesterday. He highlighted Kleven and Ostapchuk as standouts, and said it was nice to see Boucher healthy. He added Guenette in later too.

But he also made a point to say he wants to ensure they take their time with them and let them develop so that when they come up they’re ready. Only one I thought we might see as a regular next year is Kleven but even him I could see them holding off on.

Nice, it's important to develop prospects properly, although this is not something I'd criticize Dorion for, as pretty much everyone paid their dues in the AHL except Stutzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson who were all Top-5 picks and NHL ready at 19-20

And nothing on Jarventie? Probably just forgot him as he's been injured. Sogaard was a standout when he was down there too

4 left handed top-4 D, what could go wrong? ;)

Young-ish cost controlled Top-4 D-men are rarely available for trade, we could be in a good postilion to get a great return. We'd be forced to choose between Chabot and Chychrun

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Nice, it's important to develop prospects properly, although this is not something I'd criticize Dorion for, as pretty much everyone paid their dues in the AHL except Stutzle, Tkachuk and Sanderson who were all Top-5 picks and NHL ready at 19-20

And nothing on Jarventie? Probably just forgot him as he's been injured. Sogaard was a standout when he was down there too

Young-ish cost controlled Top-4 D-men are rarely available for trade, we could be in a good postilion to get a great return. We'd be forced to choose between Chabot and Chychrun
Pinto too. But yeah I agree, we haven’t really mishandled anyone. I think it’s just a bit different now too, because if you’re trying to compete, the standard is a bit higher. You could put Kleven on the team next year if you didn’t care about wins and just live with whatever growing pains, but maybe not the best idea if you want a playoff spot.

No mention of Jarventie but he did say there were more, I think those were just the first names that came to mind.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad