Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
As opposed to the hard-nosed, gritty group we have now?
Isn't the entire point to improve this shitty defense?

I can understanding having one of Walman, Fabbro or Liljegren but these are all the same guy.

Trouba, Ekblad, Borgen, Whitecloud and Kesselring could be available next summer. That's the market we should be shopping in.

Reactions: Friday

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I hate the idea of Trouba on the Sharks, because he is a stupid player who should have been banned.

Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

I can understanding having one of Walman, Fabbro or Liljegren but these are all the same guy.

Trouba, Ekblad, Borgen, Whitecloud and Kesselring could be available next summer. That's the market we should be shopping in.
At this point I'm just interested in adding talent to the defense, we only have 3 NHL caliber D men on the roster, if we can add any more I'll take them on regardless of their play style

I'm not gonna turn my nose up at upgrading from Jan Rutta to Dante Fabbro because he doesn't play with enough sandpaper, aquire talent now and worry about fit later

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020

Would love to have any of those free agent defencemen, but I'm afraid we'll be overshadowed by teams that are winning now. That's why I feel like a trade should be the way to go first. If there is someone available @ Free Agency and willing sign, take him as well. The more the better.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

I’ve always loved the idea of Trouba on the sharks, but I worry his rambunctious physicality will ultimately put a target on one of our kids’ backs.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Would love to have any of those free agent defencemen, but I'm afraid we'll be overshadowed by teams that are winning now. That's why I feel like a trade should be the way to go first. If there is someone available @ Free Agency and willing sign, take him as well. The more the better.
Trouba is not a FA and can be acquired as a cap dump. If his wife wants a good hospital to work at Stanford is close by.

Trouba and Ekblad are the 2 D that I want and the Sharks have the cap space to acquire both.

Reactions: Hodge

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
Trouba is not a FA and can be acquired as a cap dump. If his wife wants a good hospital to work at Stanford is close by.

Trouba and Ekblad are the 2 D that I want and the Sharks have the cap space to acquire both.
Hard pass on Ekblad for me unless he would sign for 3 years or less which is not happening. The guys body is breaking down, Look at all the serious injuries he has been through and all the games he has missed. He is going to be 29, his play is on the decline and he is going to be looking for a 7 year contract to a contender, so for him to sign with us we would have to beat out the market in terms of $.

We are hopefully in playoff/cup contention around the 4-5 year mark, and I expect an Ekblad contract is really going to hamper the team. He will be 34-35 and honestly might look similar to what we have in Vlasic today.

Yes Ekblad looks like a good fit in the short term but in those final few years where we want to be competitive I bet his contract will bite us in the ***

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think we need to make a hard push for Theodore in the off-season. Like a 7x$8m deal. He's a little injury prone but his playmaking would transform our defense and he'd easily be a top pairing 1st PP guy for us for the next 5 years.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Hodge

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think we need to make a hard push for Theodore in the off-season. Like a 7x$8m deal. He's a little injury prone but his playmaking would transform our defense and he'd easily be a top pairing 1st PP guy for us for the next 5 years.
I think it makes sense to push for Theodore but I don't see Vegas letting him walk.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think it makes sense to push for Theodore but I don't see Vegas letting him walk.
The problem for Vegas is if they can fill out their roster while keeping Theodore. They only have 12 players signed for next season and about $25m in space. Most of their core is locked up though but I think there's an opportunity there.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think the team is gonna have a hard time signing halfway decent players entering their thirties unless you pay them an outrageous overpay. Shea will have a market so why would he want to waste his last prime years on a team that’s not close to competing?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The problem for Vegas is if they can fill out their roster while keeping Theodore. They only have 12 players signed for next season and about $25m in space. Most of their core is locked up though but I think there's an opportunity there.
Luckily for them, the bulk of their needs to fill out the roster are depth forwards and goaltending. 17 mil to sign seven forwards, a couple goalies, and a defenseman when it's depth pieces outside the starting goalie is doable. They're doing something similar this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad