Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Absolutely, and he's gonna have to continue to force the issue for the rest of his career. There are approximately zero 5'8" NHL players. As unfair as it is, Gushchin is gonna have to scratch and claw to prove he can be one.

I'm rooting for that crazy lil dude though.
Isn't Cole Caufield 5'8?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Isn't Cole Caufield 5'8?
Isn't Cole Caufield like 5'6"?
tbf 1 is approximately zero technically speaking. anyways, i expect gushchin to be the second coming of jiri hudler.
Yes.
Alex DeBrincat 5'8"

Mats Zuccarello 5'8"

Is 3 approximately zero? :laugh:
Yes.
I think Logan Stankoven is a very generous 5’8 as well
4 is approximately zero in a league of 800 players. :)

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
It's so awesome how we don't get any official announcement from the team twitter or even the pr account, instead the president of business ops tweets out a low resolution notes app screenshot for the official roster

The Capital of Silicon Valley, ladies and gentlemen
The team twitter literally posted a graphic for the opening night roster a few minutes before Becher...

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Isn't Cole Caufield like 5'6"?

Yes.

Yes.

4 is approximately zero in a league of 800 players. :)
NHL Theo flurry is only 5.6'' tall and he had a wonderful hockey career with 1008 points and 455 goals. sharks fans remembered him very well for the wrong reason. i hated him whenever he scored against the sharks.

Last edited:

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Smaller players can succeed. It’s hard but they can. Gush is one of those….

His shot is elite. His speed is nhl level. He passing is respectable. His motor is excellent.

He’s improving the defensive side and the positioning side. But, what he brings in transition is sorely sorely missing. Celebrini and granlund are the only two other guys in the team that can transition from d zone to ozone with speed consistently.

I’m just pissed that he seems destined for fourth line duties. That’s a total and complete misuse especially compared with will smith, who isn’t even an nhler right now. Warsofsky also seems to be breaking the Lund line which I think is a mistake.

We’ll see how it plays out on Thursday….

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Smaller players can succeed. It’s hard but they can. Gush is one of those….

His shot is elite. His speed is nhl level. He passing is respectable. His motor is excellent.

He’s improving the defensive side and the positioning side. But, what he brings in transition is sorely sorely missing. Celebrini and granlund are the only two other guys in the team that can transition from d zone to ozone with speed consistently.

I’m just pissed that he seems destined for fourth line duties. That’s a total and complete misuse especially compared with will smith, who isn’t even an nhler right now. Warsofsky also seems to be breaking the Lund line which I think is a mistake.

We’ll see how it plays out on Thursday….
Will Smith had a better year in the NCAA than a lot of prospects that were immediately good in the NHL. Why you keep insisting that having a prospect like that in the top 6 is a mistake is ridiculous.

Also have no idea why you think he isn't an NHLer right now.

The Lund line got caved in 5v5 last season. The got some points thanks to an unsustainable shooting percentage to end the year. This point hot streak also happened during a stretch of games that the Sharks played the worst they did all season in a season they were the worst team of the millennia. No reason to go out of their way to keep that line together.

I've got a feeling you're going to be doing a lot of whining this season when they aren't magically competing for the playoffs.

Reactions: Patty Ice and Hodge

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Will Smith had a better year in the NCAA than a lot of prospects that were immediately good in the NHL. Why you keep insisting that having a prospect like that in the top 6 is a mistake is ridiculous.

Also have no idea why you think he isn't an NHLer right now.

The Lund line got caved in 5v5 last season. The got some points thanks to an unsustainable shooting percentage to end the year. This point hot streak also happened during a stretch of games that the Sharks played the worst they did all season in a season they were the worst team of the millennia. No reason to go out of their way to keep that line together.

I've got a feeling you're going to be doing a lot of whining this season when they aren't magically competing for the playoffs.
I completely agree that Smith had a fabulous year in the NCAA. I also think he will be an excellent NHler in short course. I'm definitely a fan and very excited for him. In no way am I insinuating that he is some kind of bust...

However, he is also 19 years old, and in the preseason games, he looked a step behind. He did not look like an NHLer to me at either end of the rink. His nuetral zone and D zone play was just not up to par, and he looked overmatched by the speed. Like Musty and Dick, he just didn't look ready. I think he needs a stint in the A as a transition, just like cooch, pavs, meier, and the vast majority of other up and coming stars-to-be. That stint could be as short as 10-20 games if he crushes it, or longer depending on when he looks ready to come up.

I would be very happy to be wrong and watch Smith come out of the gate like gangbusters. I just didn't see it in the games I watched him, and I dont think its useful to have him in the NHL off the bat going pointless in the first 5-10 games. I'd rather he crush it in the AHL, build confidence, and come up a bit more accustomed to the pro game.

As for the lund line, they were literally the only line that could score, so they always matched up against the opposition's best, and every line was overmatched last year. This year, they would be the second line, and thus have a much easier time playing against opposition 2nd pairings nd alot less pressure to carry the team. I thought they were getting better and better working together as the year went on. I also like the roles each plays with granny as the puck carrier and distributor, Ek can pass or score, and Zetts has the rifle shot, finishing skill, and toughness. I'm not overly attached to keeping them together, just that's what I woulda done and give Gush the wing with toffoli and celebrini as I think Gush fits well there with his speed, quickness, and both shooting and passing ability.

I won't be whining, and I'm not whining now. I'm just stating my observations, which some may agree with, and others might not, and thats OK! I fully expect them to suck, but I do want to see good efforts, team structure, and improvement. I also want to see a meritocracy that reward players who are playing well, rather than slotting people in on the basis of their last name or pedigree.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't the Lund line only play like 8-10 games together last season (if that)?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I completely agree that Smith had a fabulous year in the NCAA. I also think he will be an excellent NHler in short course. I'm definitely a fan and very excited for him. In no way am I insinuating that he is some kind of bust...

However, he is also 19 years old, and in the preseason games, he looked a step behind. He did not look like an NHLer to me at either end of the rink. His nuetral zone and D zone play was just not up to par, and he looked overmatched by the speed. Like Musty and Dick, he just didn't look ready. I think he needs a stint in the A as a transition, just like cooch, pavs, meier, and the vast majority of other up and coming stars-to-be. That stint could be as short as 10-20 games if he crushes it, or longer depending on when he looks ready to come up.
Im not going to disagree with this but I think one of the main differences is that the NHL team at the time of those players entering the league was in a very different place. If you think play time > practice time, then sure. If you think he can get there by practicing and training with NHLers, then he should stay in the NHL because its not going to hurt the NHL team. Combine that with the questionable staff that the Cuda continues to have and I dont know that I would want him in the AHL for more than a conditioning stint.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't the Lund line only play like 8-10 games together last season (if that)?
According to moneypuck the Lund like was together 37 games, but not sure how accurate that is because the actual minute total was fairly low.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Just out of curiosity - what's the benefit of not putting Logan on the LTIR? I know we don't need the space, but what if we could use it in the future? (I understand it's unlikely we pick up that huge of a cap dump mid season)
LTIR doesn't actually create any extra cap space. It allows teams to exceed the cap by the amount of the injured player's cap hit. Since we're well under the cap it doesn't help us.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

At least according to Natural Stat Trick, Lund Line only played 122 minutes together last year, and here are the stats:
  • CF% 45%
  • GF% 43.75%
  • xGF% 39.21%
  • HDCF% 37.25%
So indeed, it would seem that they got caved in at 5v5 last season, point to LilLeeroy. EDIT: FWIW, the rest of the team when none of them was on the ice in the games they played together ... was 28% GF% and 41.6% xGF%... woof.

I agree...

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
According to moneypuck the Lund like was together 37 games, but not sure how accurate that is because the actual minute total was fairly low.
Looks like they spent 122 5v5 minutes together per Natural Stat Trick. Assuming 15 minutes per game, that's ~8 games. I'm guessing the MoneyPuck number means they shared the ice for parts of 37 games.

Reactions: jarr92

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
The Sharks priority this season is to develop Celebrini and Smith. You need some or all of the Lunds to play on their wings. With the Lund line together, the wings for the teenagers are Toffoli, probably Gushchin ( a rookie which is not ideal) and who? Wennberg? Goodrow? Kunin? Kostin? Pick two. It’s much better to support the future top 6 centers for your franchise with the best wingers you have to help them assimilate to the NHL.

Regarding Smith, I expected him to start the season on Granlund’s wing. The Sharks, at least for now, are keeping him at center with an experienced center on his wing. There are going to be more growing pains with him at center. If they think he is overwhelmed, they will move him to wing before they send him to the AHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad