Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Obviously, I’ve stepped on toes here.
I’m not saying Givani needs to be here, just that I get it. This game is what it is. Many value the possibility of a guy who will fight. I didn’t make the rule.

Most fans of the Sharks first season will say their favorite player was Link. He didn’t deserve to be in the league but that doesn’t change what many think.
Beyond the merits of having goons on your team (I don't think Smith even really fits that definition of the term; he's simply a sub-4th line player who's willing to fight, but not some heavyweight), I think you have to also consider the other side of it: a young player with upside who's paid his dues in the minors and has shown growth and seems clearly ready for at least a more extended chance in the NHL.

If you're not going to give him a chance, then what kind of message does that send to all the other not-superstar prospects in the system?

Reactions: vortexy

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Beyond the merits of having goons on your team (I don't think Smith even really fits that definition of the term; he's simply a sub-4th line player who's willing to fight, but not some heavyweight), I think you have to also consider the other side of it: a young player with upside who's paid his dues in the minors and has shown growth and seems clearly ready for at least a more extended chance in the NHL.

If you're not going to give him a chance, then what kind of message does that send to all the other not-superstar prospects in the system?
That’s beyond my purview. I can rant and rave to what cause? Grier and Wars aren’t calling me for my opinion.
I’ve not said that Danil doesn’t deserve a shot up here. I’ve watched this game long enough to know and to say that waivers and such are more important than what you or I have to say about it.
Would I be surprised to see Goose sent down in favor of Givani? Not at all. I’d think it’s a wrong choice but I’m not going to spout about rioting over it.

Le Grand Quebecois

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
Obviously, I’ve stepped on toes here.
I’m not saying Givani needs to be here, just that I get it. This game is what it is. Many value the possibility of a guy who will fight. I didn’t make the rule.

Most fans of the Sharks first season will say their favorite player was Link. He didn’t deserve to be in the league but that doesn’t change what many think.
The most talented player on the ice for SJ back then was talented at face punching. Nobody was good at hockey.

That’s beyond my purview. I can rant and rave to what cause? Grier and Wars aren’t calling me for my opinion.
I’ve not said that Danil doesn’t deserve a shot up here. I’ve watched this game long enough to know and to say that waivers and such are more important than what you or I have to say about it.
Would I be surprised to see Goose sent down in favor of Givani? Not at all. I’d think it’s a wrong choice but I’m not going to spout about rioting over it.
You're correct that the most likely path the Sharks will take is the one that doesn't risk losing a player. Right or wrong.

Reactions: coooldude

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Gushchin has earned his NHL spot - sending him to the AHL flies in the face of all talk made before and during preseason about earning spots.

In a game that had 'NHLers' Wennberg, Kostin, Goodrow, Kunin, Smith and Sturm - it was Gushchin that took the lead and drove play.

The club will not improve if they're going to prioritize bad NHLers over young players who outplayed them.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Gushchin has earned his NHL spot - sending him to the AHL flies in the face of all talk made before and during preseason about earning spots.

In a game that had 'NHLers' Wennberg, Kostin, Goodrow, Kunin, Smith and Sturm - it was Gushchin that took the lead and drove play.

The club will not improve if they're going to prioritize bad NHLers over young players who outplayed them.
Kostin took a pass and scored. Kunin caused turnovers and fought in front of the net to deflect for 2 goals. Sturm pulled up and made a pass that led to the winning goal. The others did quite a bit that doesn’t show up on the scorers card or the highlights but they’re crucial as well.
This game needs those “bad” players. They do the banging, fighting for the boards, pressuring the front of the net. Again, they are crucial.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

You mean to tell me a guy fighting for a roster spot performed better in a meaningless exhibition game than the established NHLers on both teams whose main priority was trying not to get injured? Time to induct Gushchin into the HHOF.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
It's highly possible that Granlund or some other top 9 isn't ready on Thursday and Goose gets his start and everyone can calm down.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Someone has to be injured, I Believe in Gushchin. Specifically, I think Warsofsky will play guys who earned it.

You mean to tell me a guy fighting for a roster spot performed better in a meaningless exhibition game than the established NHLers on both teams whose main priority was trying not to get injured? Time to induct Gushchin into the HHOF.

This is exactly what we’re saying, yes.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is a really silly response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad