Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's crazy some of these guys like Pearson getting PTOs while Barb and Labanc haven't had a single shred of interest from anyone.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Gotta love the main boards. Dubas went from hero again to zero again in between Friedman posts.

I suppose Pickering+2nd could be hoped for, but Yager was the only equivalent prospect Pitt had to offer. I'd rather have McGroaty, particular for Pitt. He'll likely step into a middle 6 role, and may end up flanking Crosby.

For some reason, fans get it in their head that a team has zero options. If they don't move McGroaty to their team for a 2nd today, he's just going to graduate and sign with the Bruins/Rangers.

I thought Edmonton was in worse shape on the Ceci deal with the expectation they likely wanted to retain Broberg and/or Holloway. I was hopeful we (or another team) would have gotten a 2nd, but at the end of the day, aside from giving up Emberson (I'd have preferred Grier hold the line at Benning), I was glad we were picking up Ceci+3rd.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Obviously, but Matty Beniers getting a $50M contract with 100 career points feels insane to me. Like I totally get it from Seattle's perspective, you have to lock your 1C down as soon as you can, that's not the player to nickel and dime, it just feels crazy to get that much money with effectively one good season to your name.
Yeah this is potentially worse the Jack Johnson and Bobby Ryan’s contracts not quite Dipeitro bad though

Reactions: Sandisfan

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Huge prospect swap today and the Jets did excellent with the return. Thinking about Askarov after I heard the trade went down. Nashville will probably want Musty or one of our top center prospects in return. If that's the asking price, I'd walk away quickly.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Huge prospect swap today and the Jets did excellent with the return. Thinking about Askarov after I heard the trade went down. Nashville will probably want Musty or one of our top center prospects in return. If that's the asking price, I'd walk away quickly.
I don't think Trotz would be so arrogant as to even bring up the names "Celebrini" or "Smith", but Bystedt and Edstrom are perfectly reasonable names to bring up as the base of a deal. I'd rather move one of them than Musty.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I don't think Trotz would be so arrogant as to even bring up the names "Celebrini" or "Smith", but Bystedt and Edstrom are perfectly reasonable names to bring up as the base of a deal. I'd rather move one of them than Musty.
Agreed. Smithh or celly are obvious non-starters. I too like what Ive seen fro musty and would be reticent to move him. Aside from dickinson, I think musty is our 4th best prospect and a future legit NHLer.

Bystedt and Edstrom seem more destined to be middle six guys at best, so far more digestable to trade one of them and far less risky if askarov tanks.

TBH, looking at Askarovs numbers, hes not THAT good. Clearly a guy you wanna get if you can, but not one to sell the farm for. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have a goalie prospect worth watching and its not a great strategy to rely on finding other teams' throwaways.

Its definitely worth thinning the forward prospect ranks. After all, you can only have so many young guys in top 6 spots. Eklund, Smith ,Celly, Musty, Edstrom, Bystedt, Haltunnen, Chernyshov... not to mention Cardwell, Gushkin, Graf, and Bordy.... Thats a lot of NHL potential forwards, so trading some for a top goalie prospect is a good pla and a worthwhile risk.

I wonder if Bordeleau might have good value? I mean, 11 pts in 27 games as a 21/22 yo. You have to overlook the -18, but he appears laregly done in SJ, so I wonder if grier can get value for him.

Maybe Bordy+Bystedt+3rd rounder for askarov? Gives Trotz a guy who has shown the ability to play in the NHL, a top 1st round prospect and a mid pick... for a guy who lowered his own value by being unwilling to report, and his AHL numbers arent off the charts. I think its a deal that meets both teams' needs.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't know how else to say it, but if Nashville, with its track record of developing goaltending talent, doesn't want to hold on to Askarov, then it seems unlikely that he's going to be a top-tier goaltender.

At this point in the rebuild, there should be no rush from the Sharks; they can afford to wait for the best opportunity while continuing to accumulate assets.

I also get worried when teams get a hyped goaltending prospect; he gets put on a pedastal and penned in as the GOTF, and for 3-5 years the team ignores the other opportunities.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't know how else to say it, but if Nashville, with its track record of developing goaltending talent, doesn't want to hold on to Askarov, then it seems unlikely that he's going to be a top-tier goaltender.

At this point in the rebuild, there should be no rush from the Sharks; they can afford to wait for the best opportunity while continuing to accumulate assets.

I also get worried when teams get a hyped goaltending prospect; he gets put on a pedastal and penned in as the GOTF, and for 3-5 years the team ignores the other opportunities.
Yeah there are certain teams in the NHL that you look at for certain positions and have to question why they are already giving up on a certain player they are top at developing.

Reactions: vortexy

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

It's more of a clash of attitudes between Trotz and Askarov. Trotz has Korn so he isn't worried about a headache for him that he didn't even draft. He can pick his own guy for Korn to develop.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
I was looking at the remaining RFA list today and started to wonder...Anyone else think that maybe the 2nd Stevie Y sent us along with Walman was as part of some crazy agreement that GMMG wouldn't offer sheet Moritz Seider? I know it sounds wild but that trade still baffles me. And Seider is just sitting there...

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Counterpoint - Nashville is trying open a championship window now with their signings, and when those signings are older players, you can't risk time with a unproven goalie.

Aside, i totally agree with the hesitancy. there could just be more to the story as to why they are going with Saros now

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Counterpoint - Nashville is trying open a championship window now with their signings, and when those signings are older players, you can't risk time with a unproven goalie.

Aside, i totally agree with the hesitancy. there could just be more to the story as to why they are going with Saros now
Sure, but if they think Askarov is the real deal, then they shouldn't move him, at least right now, for anything less than a standout proposal.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Selling high on Musty could be a smart move. See if you can even get the Preds to send back a pick along with Askarov.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
So bringing in 2 nhl level backup goalies had nothing to do with askarov wanting out?

If nashville was really thinking askarov was that good they would not have brought in matt murray and scott wedgewood this offseason.
I'd say signing Saros to an 8 year extension weighed more to his thinking. I'm sure the Preds knew he was unhappy befohis agent made it public knowledge

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
I'm concerned about what his value will be a year from now if he goes back to Sudbury and his production regresses which is very possible.
its also possible he becomes a dominant NHL player in a few years. Askarov has the same potential and risk as Musty at the moment. Neither are proven. Why give up on potential for one while swapping for the other? It doesn’t make sense.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm concerned about what his value will be a year from now if he goes back to Sudbury and his production regresses which is very possible.
It's going to be like Logan Couture; the D+2 junior year means nothing. His D+3 season will be the key; does he tear up the AHL or make the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad