Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I'm sure that Hasso limited the retention, I also agree with the posters who have said that a) PIT didn't have much to give on roster or in the prospect pool and b) they probably wouldn't have paid future draft picks for the extra retention. Sure, we could have retained 100%, but is a GM going to give up their next 4-5 first round picks for a free EK? IN theory it sounds good but in practice there's a realistic overlap in a negotiation and it's not clear there was a much bigger return PIT was willing to pay for more retention. Any claim there could have been us pure speculation, so who cares, is my opinion.

So far the trade looks pretty good.
2 lazy 2 look it up but I do recall GMMG making some comments after the trade that implied he had to work within certain restrictions from Hasso, so I assume that partially meant Hasso could only stomach retaining so much on a player who could have potentially been the missing piece on winning ANOTHER cup for Pittsburgh

Also maybe Hasso had no choice but to establish dominance in fixing a previous mistake where he let his GM go a little too far in the past

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I’m not interested in offer sheeting anyone. Team is gonna have a lot of interesting decisions to make in 4-5 years and a lot of RFAs will be dangled. Teams don’t forget.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
an interestingly aggressive move by the blues
In some ways yes, but it's a very "safe" move from the Blues. A 2nd-round pick isn't much, and if Broberg flames out, his contract is over in two years. On the other hand, if he does well and shows he can be a top-level defenseman, then the Blues are going to have to pay him through the nose in 2027. If they signed him to a long-term deal, they'd have that potential upside.

Of course, Edmonton is in a tough spot either way. No short-term flexibility for them...

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
In some ways yes, but it's a very "safe" move from the Blues. A 2nd-round pick isn't much, and if Broberg flames out, his contract is over in two years. On the other hand, if he does well and shows he can be a top-level defenseman, then the Blues are going to have to pay him through the nose in 2027. If they signed him to a long-term deal, they'd have that potential upside.

Of course, Edmonton is in a tough spot either way. No short-term flexibility for them...
I am glad at least one team decided Broberg and to do it the same time with Holloway is also smart. I really wanted the Sharks to take the gamble on Broberg since cap space for the next two years is not an issue but with the Sharks already overloaded with LD options it wasn’t the best fit.

I can’t wait to see the reaction on the Oilers board. They were convinced they could get both for $1.1 each.

Yeah, an exciting opportunity for Grier to acquire Cody Ceci!
Yes, Ceci would be a perfect fit as the Sharks need more legit NHL defenders on the Right side. Now I would make Edmonton pay to move him to the Sharks if they are so desperate to keep Broberg.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yes, Ceci would be a perfect fit as the Sharks need more legit NHL defenders on the Right side. Now I would make Edmonton pay to move him to the Sharks if they are so desperate to keep Broberg.
Does not compute...

Seriously, acquiring Ceci for anything less than a 1st, which Edmonton doesn't have for 2025, would undo a lot of the good will Grier has built up for me. Not because there isn't a worthwhile deal somewhere (send us Sam O'Reilly!) but because I hate watching Cody Ceci from the bottom of my heart.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Does not compute...

Seriously, acquiring Ceci for anything less than a 1st, which Edmonton doesn't have for 2025, would undo a lot of the good will Grier has built up for me. Not because there isn't a worthwhile deal somewhere (send us Sam O'Reilly!) but because I hate watching Cody Ceci from the bottom of my heart.
When the fan base has watched Burroughs and Addison play all last season it is a little much to say Ceci is not a NHL caliber player. Similar to Vlassic it is important not to let the player being overpaid cloud judgement. Ceci would probably be the Sharks best option on the right side of defense.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
To say Ceci is not legit NHL defenseman is just wrong. Dude just played 19+ minutes a night in the playoffs for a team that won 15 playoff games. Getting him without having to pay an asset would improve the team and help the development of the young forwards.

Ceci + 3rd round pick for Benning would save Edmonton some money but still give them an option on the right side.

Reactions: Hodge

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
When the fan base has watched Burroughs and Addison play all last season it is a little much to say Ceci is not a NHL caliber player. Similar to Vlassic it is important not to let the player being overpaid cloud judgement. Ceci would probably be the Sharks best option on the right side of defense.
Vlasic is also not an NHL player!

To say Ceci is not legit NHL defenseman is just wrong. Dude just played 19+ minutes a night in the playoffs for a team that won 15 playoff games. Getting him without having to pay an asset would improve the team and help the development of the young forwards.

Ceci + 3rd round pick for Benning would save Edmonton some money but still give them an option on the right side.
You cannot seriously tell me that you watched the Edmonton Oilers in the playoffs last spring and came away with the notion that Cody Ceci is a legit NHLer. He's a passable #7. I'd take Benning, Emberson, and even Rutta above him.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Vlasic is also not an NHL player!

You cannot seriously tell me that you watched the Edmonton Oilers in the playoffs last spring and came away with the notion that Cody Ceci is a legit NHLer. He's a passable #7. I'd take Benning, Emberson, and even Rutta above him.
Ceci definitely had a better year than the previous few and did play OK in the playoffs. I think that boost is skewing some minds.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I didn't know what Cody Ceci looked like until I looked up his Athletic player card, so I'm no expert, but at least in the regular season this is what it looks like. He's middle of the road offensively and middle of the road defensively.

Usual caveats, this model (and most of them) doesn't account well for team effects, etc etc... Ceci looks to be on par with Tyler Myers (a little better than Myers offensively, a little worse defensively), Adam Larsson (a lot better offensively, much worse defensively). But net rating is +3.

1723574875382.png

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Ceci would've been a great target last offseason when the goal was to get Macklin. That goal has now been accomplished, no thank you.

• Haha

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
So does everyone really think we have 3 options that are better than Cici on the right side of D this season?

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I mean there’s no one on that oilers roster that’s tradeable that really fits the sharks and where they are at right now, maybe they could be a third team in a trade but only if they get a 2nd or better for the trouble

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Ceci would immediately be our best defenseman and would likely fetch at least a 2nd round pick at the deadline.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I didn't know what Cody Ceci looked like until I looked up his Athletic player card, so I'm no expert, but at least in the regular season this is what it looks like. He's middle of the road offensively and middle of the road defensively.

Usual caveats, this model (and most of them) doesn't account well for team effects, etc etc... Ceci looks to be on par with Tyler Myers (a little better than Myers offensively, a little worse defensively), Adam Larsson (a lot better offensively, much worse defensively). But net rating is +3.

View attachment 900809
My take is that these models don't seem to account for team strength. Edmonton was very good, so this is a huge blind-spot for this particular player. Ceci is also the type of player who looks much better on good teams than bad teams, because the more time he spends in the offensive zone the less opportunity there is for the patented Ceci defensive poop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad