Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don’t think the Sharks would’ve needed to go out and pay the picks/pieces for another quality top 6-9 forward. They could’ve just signed another quality FA to go with Toffoli and Wennberg.

Kunin + Goodrow = $6.35m

So if you take those two away, that’s another Toffoli that could’ve been signed while clearing up some of the logjam they now have in the bottom 6.

And I agree about avoiding a situation where there’s two young guys on one line, but I’d rather have two of Celebrini, Eklund and Smith playing together instead of one of those kids having to play with Goodrow and Kunin.
You realize the Sharks are currently $13 million under the salary cap, right? Forget another Toffoli, we could have signed two more Toffolis while keeping Goodrow and Kunin. Hell, put Couture on LTIR and we could have signed three more Toffolis.

The reason we didn't do that is it would have been malpractice for a rebuilding team to hand out that much term and money to old wingers. We never needed more than one Toffoli. We do need veteran bottom six sin-eaters who can do all the dirty work so Celebrini and Smith don't have to.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don’t think the Sharks would’ve needed to go out and pay the picks/pieces for another quality top 6-9 forward. They could’ve just signed another quality FA to go with Toffoli and Wennberg.

Kunin + Goodrow = $6.35m

So if you take those two away, that’s another Toffoli that could’ve been signed while clearing up some of the logjam they now have in the bottom 6.

And I agree about avoiding a situation where there’s two young guys on one line, but I’d rather have two of Celebrini, Eklund and Smith playing together instead of one of those kids having to play with Goodrow and Kunin.
You realize players still have to want to play here.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
We had to pay Wennberg of all people twice market value to get him to come here.

Cam Atkinson, he of the 28 point variety making almost 6 million would have rather been bought out and sign for basically the league min with TB than come to SJ for his full salary.

Filling out a roster of capable NHLers on this squad is probably a harder task than most people seem to think.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
We had to pay Wennberg of all people twice market value to get him to come here.

Cam Atkinson, he of the 28 point variety making almost 6 million would have rather been bought out and sign for basically the league min with TB than come to SJ for his full salary.

Filling out a roster of capable NHLers on this squad is probably a harder task than most people seem to think.
Which is why the #1 objective of this season is to develop Celebrini and Smith into good NHL forwards as fast as possible and every single decision you make about your roster and your line combos has to be with that single objective in mind. The sooner those guys become guys other players would like to play with, the easier it becomes to build out your roster.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Which is why the #1 objective of this season is to develop Celebrini and Smith into good NHL forwards as fast as possible and every single decision you make about your roster and your line combos has to be with that single objective in mind. The sooner those guys become guys other players would like to play with, the easier it becomes to build out your roster.
The greatest trick Mike Grier and his staff can pull is developing a Stanley Cup contending top 6 and top 4 comprised entirely of draft picks.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
What do you all think of G Arturs Silovs? Think he's a future #1 NHL netminder? Obviously wasn't too bad in the 23-24 playoffs, even though facing Edmonton in Round 2 was being thrown into the deep end of the pool.

I ask because he's an RFA, and currently the Canucks do not have the cap space to afford him. Currently they have $240k in cap space. His QO is $813,750. He hasn't signed it yet, probably because he wants a bit more.

Is he worth a no compensation offer sheet? Like 2 years x $1,511,701 (The current max, to the dollar, for no draft pick compensation). I'm guessing he might have interest in an offer sheet that nearly doubles his QO.

Of course the Nucks can match, even if it puts them over the cap because of the 10% offseason buffer. But then they'll have to figure out how to get under the cap by the time the season starts. Either way, you can put the screws to a division rival.

Since there's been a lot of discussion re: Askarov, wanted to see what people thought of Silovs. I have a soft spot for Latvian goalies named Arturs. :D

EDIT: NVM! Did some digging and apparently Silovs is not eligible for an offer sheet.

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
This is actually a great idea. Mods, can we start a few key player-specific threads to sequester all interminable, repetitive discussions for those who take pleasure in them? Kind of helps for the prospect threads...
What about the thread about Kunin signing. ?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
On the personal side, Kunin may have a lot more going for him.

His wife retired from playing. She was with PWHL Minnesota last season. Now she'll be with him in SJ.

A more intimate homelife may give him a better emotional base to play from.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Dude hasn't topped 40 points since Vegas' first year in the league and never scored more than 17 goals. He's a 3 million AAV player AT most.
He got less then he was projected to get because of us only giving him 2 years. Most players are going to follow the money. It could be a good team or bad team overpaying them.

Reactions: Bartcal

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Rethinking my forward lineups, maybe it looks better and more realistic with something like this:

Kunin-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Toffoli
Eklund-Wennberg-Smith
Goodrow-Sturm-Dellandrea

Gives both Mack and Smith a true skill winger to play with, still shelters Smith from defensive responsibilities, and feeds Kunin shit shoveling duty instead of Eklund

Without another big addition this might be how I'd rush lines at the first real practice

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Rethinking my forward lineups, maybe it looks better and more realistic with something like this:

Kunin-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Toffoli
Eklund-Wennberg-Smith
Goodrow-Sturm-Dellandrea

Gives both Mack and Smith a true skill winger to play with, still shelters Smith from defensive responsibilities, and feeds Kunin shit shoveling duty instead of Eklund

Without another big addition this might be how I'd rush lines at the first real practice
I hate you so much for putting Kunin on the top line.

For me, I buy into the idea of insulating Celebrini but it’s hard to see them dropping Eklund down for Smith. I think part of his job will be to help insulate both rookies.

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Toffoli
Wennberg-Smith-Goodrow
Grundstrom-Sturm-Kunin

They’re going to want to get the most out of those they’re spending money on.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
F*** it why not. I do wanna see Celebrini and Smith together at evens at some point just for fun.
I actually think that would be a good line. Wennberg is crazy defensive, and could help them out, and then just drive the net while Celebrini and Smith doing spins and stuff.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I hate you so much for putting Kunin on the top line.

For me, I buy into the idea of insulating Celebrini but it’s hard to see them dropping Eklund down for Smith. I think part of his job will be to help insulate both rookies.

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Toffoli
Wennberg-Smith-Goodrow
Grundstrom-Sturm-Kunin

They’re going to want to get the most out of those they’re spending money on.
I hate it too, but to me it's not so much the "top line" as it is the "gets killed by opposing top lines line"

I just think we need to strike a delicate balance and have enough talent on there so that opposing coaches don't just ignore it and deploy their best players against Mack or Smith, but also, selfishly, I just don't want Kunin on either of their wings either, lol

Your lineup makes sense too, but I was just looking for a way to get an extra quality winger to play with Smith in Eklund, I don't mind Goodrow as the forechecking third wheel on one of their lines but I think if he's gonna play with Wennberg I'd like to help him out with someone that has a little more offensive creativity as well

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
You realize players still have to want to play here.
No. I had no idea that was part of the equation.

Like Goodrow, there might not be many players that want to play in San Jose. But Toffoli did. Wennberg did. Sounds like Walman is excited about it, too.

Regardless, clearing two roster spots from a suddenly cluttered 4th line and opening up more financial flexibility would’ve been my preferred route.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
You realize the Sharks are currently $13 million under the salary cap, right? Forget another Toffoli, we could have signed two more Toffolis while keeping Goodrow and Kunin. Hell, put Couture on LTIR and we could have signed three more Toffolis.

The reason we didn't do that is it would have been malpractice for a rebuilding team to hand out that much term and money to old wingers. We never needed more than one Toffoli. We do need veteran bottom six sin-eaters who can do all the dirty work so Celebrini and Smith don't have to.
I appreciate the insight but I am aware of the Sharks current salary cap situation. Still, I’d prefer them to have $20m in cap space rather than $13m + Goodrow & Kunin. And I’d prefer another Toffoli contract on the books rather than Goodrow’s even though Toffoli’s is one year longer and more expensive.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad