2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Or, just as likely, he had the benefit of playing on a loaded college team against inferior opponents. Five teams selected defensemen before the Wild selected Buium.

Maybe he is as talented as you suggest. There is a reason other teams didn't feel the same way.

I usually find the “he played on a loaded team” argument to be a strange one. That’s not a mark against an individual player, that deserves accolades for DU’s recruiting ability. Furthermore, that doesn’t diminish (in any way) Buium’s production. Plenty of defenseman play on stacked teams who don’t produce at the level he has. When you’re getting a point on 25% of your team’s goals, as a defenseman, you’re doing something right.

I see NHL team’s scouting ability to be pretty lacking on the whole. I mean, Yakemchuk was the 2nd defenseman picked in this draft lol. He’s absolutely not the 2nd best defenseman in the draft (that’d be Buium). It could be argued that Buium is on par with Levshunov too.

There’s an odd level of groupthink going on amount among scouting departments & an emphasis of size that’s ultimately unwarranted and beyond bizarre. Especially from this past draft. NHL team’s absolutely have the prerogative to believe that size on the backend wins championships, but as @Appleyard showed a few weeks ago in a series of tweets, Cup winners tend to have d-core of all different sizes. You can win with an average to even below average size d-core. Talent trumps all.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I usually find the “he played on a loaded team” argument to be a strange one. That’s not a mark against an individual player, that deserves accolades for DU’s recruiting ability. Furthermore, that doesn’t diminish (in any way) Buium’s production. Plenty of defenseman play on stacked teams who don’t produce at the level he has. When you’re getting a point on 25% of your team’s goals, as a defenseman, you’re doing something right.

I see NHL team’s scouting ability to be pretty lacking on the whole. I mean, Yakemchuk was the 2nd defenseman picked in this draft lol. He’s absolutely not the 2nd best defenseman in the draft (that’d be Buium). It could be argued that Buium is on par with Levshunov too.

There’s an odd level of groupthink going on amount among scouting departments & an emphasis of size that’s ultimately unwarranted and beyond bizarre. Especially from this past draft. NHL team’s absolutely have the prerogative to believe that size on the backend wins championships, but as @Appleyard showed a few weeks ago in a series of tweets, Cup winners tend to have d-core of all different sizes. You can win with an average to even below average size d-core. Talent trumps all.

Completely agree with your different sizes argument. As I've said earlier, Flyers already have plenty of Buiums - whether in Philadelphia or in Lehigh Valley. And a number of promising wingers. From what I've read about Luchanko he is a heavier two-way center. Definitely fits the MO of the Flyers' organization.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Completely agree with your different sizes argument. As I've said earlier, Flyers already have plenty of Buiums - whether in Philadelphia or in Lehigh Valley. And a number of promising wingers. From what I've read about Luchanko he is a heavier two-way center. Definitely fits the MO of the Flyers' organization.
who are these plenty of Buiums that you speak of? Can't even see one from my vantage point.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
who are these plenty of Buiums that you speak of? Can't even see one from my vantage point.

Drysdale, York and Zamula in Philadelphia. Attard and Andrae with the Phantoms. That's to go along with the healthy veterans.

Somehow think the Flyers will be fine on D for years.

Edit: Did I leave out a player named Bonk?

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Or, just as likely, he had the benefit of playing on a loaded college team against inferior opponents. Five teams selected defensemen before the Wild selected Buium.

Maybe he is as talented as you suggest. There is a reason other teams didn't feel the same way.

It is funny isn't it that most of the recent highest scoring NCAA Dmen ever in terms of draft years... also on good teams... also funny that all of them also turned it great NHLers.

Why? Because teams that are not top 10-20 in the nation are generally not able to recruit guys who are able to play NCAA in their draft year... as usually these guys are high end talents that teams that are not fantastic cant hope to get.

Q. Hughes: 0.78 P/GP (Michigan, 3.4 G/GP, #4 in Nation
Werenski: 0.71 P/GP (Michigan, 3.86 G/GP, #20 in Nation)
McAvoy: 0.68 P/GP (BU, 3.44 G/GP, #11 in Nation)
Hanifin: 0.62 P/GP (BC, 2.8 G/GP, #13 in Nation)
Power: 0.62 P/GP (Michigan, 3.5 G/GP, #9 in Nation)

Buium: 1.19 P/GP (Denver, 4.7 G/GP, #1 in Nation)
Levshunov: 0.92 P/GP (Michigan State, 3.87 G/GP, #5 in Nation)

These 7 guys ranked in terms of direct involvement in team goals:

Buium: 25.3%
Levshunov: 23.8%
Hughes: 22.9%
Hanifin: 22.1%
McAvoy: 19.8%
Werenski: 18.4%
Power: 17.7%

Also funny that despite all of them playing on good teams, and Buium playing on maybe the best team of all... he was more important to that power-house scoring wise than any of the others...

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I really don't think that's in the cards.

Yes seems like a 0% chance

It is funny isn't it that quite most of the recent highest scoring NCAA Dmen ever in terms of draft years... also on great teams... also funny that all of them also turned it great NHLers.

Why? Because teams that are not top 10-20 in the nation are generally not able to recruit guys who are able to play NCAA in their draft year... as usually these guys are high end talents that teams that are not fantastic cant hope to get.

Also funny that despite all of them playing on good teams, and Buium playing on maybe the best team of all... he was more important to that power-house scoring wise than any of the others...

Wow. You can see why the Flyers passed here. Looks to be a future Norris winner

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
It is funny isn't it that most of the recent highest scoring NCAA Dmen ever in terms of draft years... also on good teams... also funny that all of them also turned it great NHLers.

Thanks for posting.
Also, this hurts.
A lot.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Buium also led the entire country in time on ice so the team strength argument kinda goes out the window. He was the most valuable player on that team.
Passing on Buium is just another failure of the ridiculous idiots who run the Flyers. Jett will be a decent player if he turns out to be as good as Laughton. Buium is going to be fighting Quinn Hughes for ice time on the US National teams. A gift from heaven fell to the Flyers and, well, they just could not accept it. Traded back for a 3rd rounder in 2025, the greatest bounty of talent ever, so at least we have that to look forward to.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Passing on Buium is just another failure of the ridiculous idiots who run the Flyers. Jett will be a decent player if he turns out to be as good as Laughton. Buium is going to be fighting Quinn Hughes for ice time on the US National teams. A gift from heaven fell to the Flyers and, well, they just could not accept it. Traded back for a 3rd rounder in 2025, the greatest bounty of talent ever, so at least we have that to look forward to.

Flyers had plenty of company. Five other teams had the opportunity to draft that "gift from the heavens". They chose other defensemen instead.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

My thoughts on draft day were that Buium and Levshunov were the top two defensemen on the board. What was it that dropped him to 12? I don’t get it.

Reactions: BernieParent

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Flyers had plenty of company. Five other teams had the opportunity to draft that "gift from the heavens". They chose other defensemen instead.
Can't speak for others, I do not care what other teams did at this time. Also need to look at context to see why they passed.

Bottom line to me is the Flyers did not take the BPA. They could have drafted him then used the Florid and Avs 1st in 2025 to then move up and get Jett. He would have still been there a few picks after the Flyers. But nah they have JD, York, and even more laughable Andrae (who won't even make the team).

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yeah man, no team has ever regretted passing on a player in the draft, ever.
I mean, obviously.

A GM making a mistake in isolation is fair; they aren't infallible. But it's surprising that everybody's claiming he was most likely the best D-Man available among the 6, but was the last one taken.

I just think there's something more to the story is all.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I mean, obviously.

A GM making a mistake in isolation is fair; they aren't infallible. But it's surprising that everybody's claiming he was most likely the best D-Man available among the 6, but was the last one taken.

Where did the other dman drafted ahead of him end up? All about context. Also, I could be wrong though there wasn't any consensus he was the best dman available. Diff publications had diff rankings.

The issue to me is he was BPA where the Flyers clearly have a need for a potential #1 dman. Maybe Danny said to himself we suck at trying to draft elite level dman so not going to bother.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Where did the other dman drafted ahead of him end up? All about context. Also, I could be wrong though there wasn't any consensus he was the best dman available. Diff publications had diff rankings.

The issue to me is he was BPA where the Flyers clearly have a need for a potential #1 dman. Maybe Danny said to himself we suck at trying to draft elite level dman so not going to bother.
Maybe. And I'm not exactly on the side of management here, as they haven't earned it yet, but I don't think even Briere believes his reason on why they passed.

If we noticed the CG situation, even he didn't provide a good answer there, and was flustered when saying it. We know now why.

He's not exactly a shark poker player.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I mean, obviously.

Probably nothing more than size and he’s a lefty. Maybe Cutter and McGroarty scared teams away from college guys? Idk.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Maybe. And I'm not exactly on the side of management here, as they haven't earned it yet, but I don't think even Briere believes his reason on why they passed.

If we noticed the CG situation, even he didn't provide a good answer there, and was flustered when saying it. We know now why.

He's not exactly a shark poker player.
Briere just doesn't strike me as wise GM so far, Looks like a lost puppy when he speaks. Don't see him oozing confidence.

No good answer to provide as they messed up badly.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad