Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Problem is, good as Musty's season was, the priority of this season is developing Celebrini and Smith and if the idea is that we have to surround those two with veteran forwards to get the most out of their first pro season, then there just isn't enough room to develop Musty as well. We need those guys to be in a place where they can support other young players before we can support an 18 year old kid who is too good for junior, but is gonna struggle even more than Celebrini and Smith are if you force feed him to a major role on an NHL roster.
Bingo! This isn't Hertl coming over and being stapled to Jumbo and Burns on the top line to coach him through the tough transition to the NHL. We simply don't have enough room and leadership to coach 3 rookies through the rigors of the NHL. I don't know if Celebrini will need as much as others, but Musty is just one too many (when we also will have Muk likely as a rookie on D).

That is why the McGroarty thing is tough to discern, but at least he can play in the AHL this year if he struggles in the NHL whereas Musty is NHL or junior.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Bingo! This isn't Hertl coming over and being stapled to Jumbo and Burns on the top line to coach him through the tough transition to the NHL. We simply don't have enough room and leadership to coach 3 rookies through the rigors of the NHL. I don't know if Celebrini will need as much as others, but Musty is just one too many (when we also will have Muk likely as a rookie on D).

That is why the McGroarty thing is tough to discern, but at least he can play in the AHL this year if he struggles in the NHL whereas Musty is NHL or junior.
Yeah. The difference in age and being at different points along the development curve makes them different situations. That said, I'm fairly meh on the McGroarty idea. Wouldn't oppose it, but not super-enthusiastic about it either.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Curious what you've seen from Grier to think that. To me, it seems like a Grier type move as he's gone out and gotten discontent highly regarded draft picks multiple times already in Thrun and Zadina. Dellandrea is another former 1st rounder that he bought low on as well.

I don't think he will give up 14th overall for him, but I think this would be a very Mike Grier move overall. Only hold up is whether he wants to invest more capital into the forward group while the defense remains a black hole.

Relatively indifferent on whether we pursue or not, but could for sure it being a Grier move.
Just the logic that Musty is one of "his guys" and that the 14th was (now that it's been traded) too valuable.

I think getting mcgroaty would be a Grier move for sure, just not at the expense of those two pieces.

Last edited:

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

I won't keep going back and forth re: Musty, we all know where we stand, but I agree that if they were to acquire McG and then sign him to an ELC, that does complicate any notion I have for Musty in the NHL full time in 24-25. Maybe even kills any chance for a 9 game "tryout." While McG can play in the AHL this year, presumably he's signing with a team that trades for his rights, with the expectation that he'll be with the NHL club all year. A trade for McG's rights followed by an ELC signing will virtually guarantee Musty goes back to juniors.

And to be clear, assuming there isn't an overpay for McG's rights, I want that trade to happen.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I won't keep going back and forth re: Musty, we all know where we stand, but I agree that if they were to acquire McG and then sign him to an ELC, that does complicate any notion I have for Musty in the NHL full time in 24-25. Maybe even kills any chance for a 9 game "tryout." While McG can play in the AHL this year, presumably he's signing with a team that trades for his rights, with the expectation that he'll be with the NHL club all year. A trade for McG's rights followed by an ELC signing will virtually guarantee Musty goes back to juniors.

And to be clear, assuming there isn't an overpay for McG's rights, I want that trade to happen.
just have him transfer to BU, problem solved

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Now would you trade Eklund for Reinbacher straight up?
No I would pass on that. I just like Eklund more

The only problem is Mcgroartys whole reason for the trade is he is demanding NHL time.

I don’t remember the last time there was this much activity. I refresh twitter hourly because I’m fairly sure Grier is going to keep Griering. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. I’m FASCINATED by what may happen tomorrow.
love him or hate him you can’t call Mike Grier boring

• Haha
Reactions: bullslugg and DG93

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don’t remember the last time there was this much activity. I refresh twitter hourly because I’m fairly sure Grier is going to keep Griering. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. I’m FASCINATED by what may happen tomorrow.
He's got to. The blue line still needs a lot of work and Celebrini needs wingers. I think the bottom six up front may be pretty much figured out at this stage though.

Reactions: Jargon

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I would argue the opposite. MG should focus as much attention as possible on forwards and supporting Celebrini/Smith. They aren't competing any time soon so there's no need to stress about rounding out the team. Defensemen *truly* are not that important and should NEVER be the focus. I do not understand why so many here feel a need to go out of the way for defensemen. The best defensemen always fall right into your hands. No need to ever target them. Certainly not even think about an Eklund for Reinbacher trade now LOL!

The most important thing for a developing rookie is to have a balanced group around him or them. For example: If you ice the same defence as last year, you are running Celebrini and Smith into a very deep hole. Of course I agree that they need top 6 players to help them offensively, but the defence should be priority since it's the clear weak spot. I'm not saying spend all the money or draft capital on a defensive group, but try to change it as much as you possibly can and try to build one that can help this team to move the puck and be steady when needed.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
No I would pass on that. I just like Eklund more

The only problem is Mcgroartys whole reason for the trade is he is demanding NHL time.

love him or hate him you can’t call Mike Grier boring
It isn’t though. It’s about a path to competing for a job. He could have come in and earned a job in WPG and they’d have played the volume of proven top 9 forwards over him because they already have 10-11 guys in that mold. It’s not about a guarantee as much as it is a real chance. SJ can offer a real chance, even if I think he’d likely spend a good chunk of the year in the AHL after proving he isn’t ready for NHL duty yet.

I don’t care if we deal for him or not, just setting the record straight with what is actually being reported rather than twisting it into something that simply isn’t being said.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Would Nashville do Blackwood + Ferraro + 33 for Askarov?
Don’t see why they’d need Blackwood. I’d definitely work on something around Ferraro though. Not sure I’d go crazy though on an unproven goalie prospect. He was a .911 in Milwaukee which is solid, but Sharks legend Troy Groesnick was a similar .907 behind the same defense and Devin Cooley was a .909 to his .911 the year prior.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
So apparently CBJ asked Philly for #12, #36 and Colorado's 2025 1st to move up to #4 and the Flyers declined.

I think we should get in there with #11, #33 and the Vegas 1st. Guarantees us one of Lindstrom or Silayev.

Jul 10, 2010
So apparently CBJ asked Philly for #12, #36 and Colorado's 2025 1st to move up to #4 and the Flyers declined.

I think we should get in there with #11, #33 and the Vegas 1st. Guarantees us one of Lindstrom or Silayev.
i read it the other way. the Flyers offered that packagae and was declined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad