Stuart Skinner, the worst goaler since Michael Leighton in SCF?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
He was fine in the SCF. He struggled in some of the earlier series. The star players got outplayed by Floridas stars in game 7. That’s really the difference.
Yea.
In the last 4 games of the finals, he had a GAA of 1.75 with a 0.933 SV%.
Definitely gave the team a chance to win if the offense was there in game 7.

OP just well known Oiler detractor, there are many receipts. Bias is clear as day.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Bob let in 55 goals on 583 shots. Given Skinner's save percentage - he'd have let in 57.9 (call it 58) goals on the same number of shots.

I find it mildly amusing that some believe 3 goals over two dozen games can be the difference between the Conn Snythe and "the worst goalie since Leighton".

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
I like the bloke, but putting any bias aside, he has to be the worst goaler since Michael Leighton in 2010 to make the Stanley Cup Finals, no?

Change my mind concerning this because there have been a lot of bad ones, but even Kuemper with the Avs in 2022 is better than Skinner in 2024.
I’d say not even close. Kuemper won the cup with horrible stats. Skinner was pretty decent in the finals.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought he was awful at times and put them in a hole against both Vancouver and Florida. He wasn’t the reason they were down 2 games to 0, but he had a good part in them being down 3 games to 0 after a horrible game 3. And the game winner in game 7 was trash.

Still, I think Kuemper just in 2022 was probably worse.

I definitely don’t think he was the worst since Leighton, though I do think he was pedestrian at best.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
The Oilers were foolish not to address goaltending after last years playoffs.
Skinner wasnt the problem during the finals. He played well outside the vancouver series which they still won.

The Oilers did incredible to get as far as they did with no true #1 dman. They arguably had 3 #3 dmen in Bouchard, Ekholm, Nurse (when playing well). No #1 goalie.

It makes what McDavid did that much more incredible. Turned Hyman into a superstar bouncing pucks off of him at the net and when Drai vanished McDavid put the team on his back. He will win a cup someday when he goes to a team with proper depth
Ekholm is way better than a #3. He doesnt have elitenoffensive skills but his defense is top tier.

Nurse honestly was like their 5th best defenseman sadly. That contract is a problem.

Mar 26, 2010
Yup. He sucks. Straight up. Without McDavid, the Oilers would not have even made the playoffs.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Oilers miss the playoffs next season.

• Haha
Reactions: MessierII

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He was 11-1 with nearly a .940 save pct. in Games 4-7. Finished 2nd in Calder voting last season, somehow had a .905 save pct, after a dreadful start under the old coach this season backstopping the team to the best record in the league once Knoblauch took over.

Not saying that Skinner is an elite goalie or anything like that but certainly an above average #1 that was really clutch in the playoffs late in series for the most part, kind of soft Reinhart goal notwithstanding.

As usual, some people have no clue when it comes to Oiler players.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
He is. Heck, basically a one line team made it to the Cup. Warren Foegele on a cup participant roster is funny as are many others.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Skinner stopped sucking after he let in two softies against Dallas.
Unfortunately for the Stars.
And Skinner led the the rally in the SCF.
Without him McD wouldn’t have 40+ points and no Conn Smythe…

The Avs won despite Kuemper.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers did incredible to get as far as they did with no true #1 dman. They arguably had 3 #3 dmen in Bouchard, Ekholm, Nurse (when playing well). No #1 goalie.

It makes what McDavid did that much more incredible. Turned Hyman into a superstar bouncing pucks off of him at the net and when Drai vanished McDavid put the team on his back. He will win a cup someday when he goes to a team with proper depth
I have never seen a d-man get 83 points and be considered a "#3" d-man ! Nonsense ! People just hate it when players they used to treat as their b*tches suddenly aren't anymore and clearly Skinner and Bouchard have risen above being support players!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Hill is legit when healthy. Problem is, it seems like he can't stay healthy.

I think it's been shown that a team can win the Cup with a solid, but not elite goalie. Hill, Kuemper, Binner, etc. all fall into that category and Skinner may well have been enough if the team had played up to its full potential (credit to Florida as well for holding them off). EDM had to like their chances in Game 7 holding the Panthers to two goals.

Perhaps the deciding factor was the injuries to Connor and Drai, who surely didn't look like themselves by the end of that series, similar to Tkachuk last year for Florida. Tough to win if your best players can't get it done, and it's obvious the injuries took a lot out of the Oilers' top two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad