Stuart Skinner, the worst goaler since Michael Leighton in SCF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Here's the thing, Skinner would most likely look significantly better on literally any other playoff team this year. Edmonton's defensive systems aren't exactly goalie-friendly, and haven't been for a *long* time. There's a reason almost any goalie (mostly backups) developed or playing in Edmonton look significantly better on other teams. The last time Edmonton had a home-grown starting goaltender was Devan Dubnyk, who upon leaving basically had 2 different teams (Nashville and Montreal) both say "he needed to be re-taught the basics of goaltending because of how he had to adapt to be able to play in Edmonton". Within a couple years he was literally considered an all-star (one 2nd team, and 3 ASG appearances, all with the Wild). And I feel like Skinner would probably have the same kind of situation happen if he went somewhere else
Sorry this is just nonsense. If you're going to spew that crap at HFBoards do yourself a favour and look at the analytics for Edmonton's D. They were one of the best defensive units in the league, and it wasn't because of their hapless goalie who saves below the expected value every single game.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Skinner had some bad games but he also had some very good games, Oilers don't make the finals without him IMO. Give the guy a little respect, he's not a top goalie but he played just fine including in the highest pressure games, he got better as he games got tougher. If the Oilers want to dump him I'd gladly take him at 2.6M cap hit.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m very hard on Skinner, but he’s like the average NHL goalie.

The joke is on Edmonton starting him. They’d have won the Cup if they had an NHL starting goalie.

Hard to fault a guy who isn’t one that he’s being forced into being one and then getting all this crap for his team thrusting him into a role he’s not good enough for.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Kelly

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I am a Flyer fan.....Michael Leighton was way worse then Skinner....at least Skinner had some solid games....Leighton was putrid throughout those playoffs.

Reactions: zar and DaveG

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
It's a true shame Ken Holland couldn't find a better goaler no matter how hard he tried. A better goaler might have been the difference in beating Florida's goaler.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I like the bloke, but putting any bias aside, he has to be the worst goaler since Michael Leighton in 2010 to make the Stanley Cup Finals, no?

Change my mind concerning this because there have been a lot of bad ones, but even Kuemper with the Avs in 2022 is better than Skinner in 2024.

Aiden Hill literally won the cup last year what a dumb post

Reactions: Coffey

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Its not just Skinner. This had to have been one of the worst goaltending sets for both teams in SCF history.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Kelly

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I think Skinner played far better than he is given credit for doing. He made key saves that counted, and as a whole, stopped a lot of pucks that would have otherwise have turned out to be rebounds. He can't save everything and a number of goals were off bad bounces, went off his players, etc. I would stick with him next year. He is still young, has a good attitude and has a lot of upside.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
It's a true shame Ken Holland couldn't find a better goaler no matter how hard he tried. A better goaler might have been the difference in beating Florida's goaler.
Outside of throwing money at Cujo or Hasek, Ken Holland isn’t known for finding goalies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He was just as good as Bob in the finals. So is Bob the worst goalie in the finals since Leighton?
Bob can be very good and very bad including this year playoffs

We have yet to see Skinner very good side

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
It's all on Skinners hands now. He can build on this and work to get better, or live off this moment and watch his career slide into obscurity.

He got it together at the best possible time on a middle of the road team and nearly carried them to a cup.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Skinner after round 1 and halfway of round 2 vs the Nucks was the best goalie in all of the playoffs and was elite . The guy is getting shet on for no reason. He was phenomenal.

Someone pull up his numbers from game 6 in round 2 til game 7 of the SCF and be shocked .
If I've counted right, in 11 of his last 14 playoff games this year, Skinner allowed 2 goals or less, and he even won one of the games where he allowed 3, and, finally, he only gave up 2 in game 7 of the final.

So think about that: as an Oiler fan, at the start of the season, show them that stat line, tell them they're going to play in game 7 of the final and their starting G is only going to allow two goals. You'd easily think, damn, we got this, no way in a game 7 with the Cup on the line are McDrai going to score less than two!

C'est la vie.

Reactions: MessierII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad