Stuart Skinner, the worst goaler since Michael Leighton in SCF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Oilers did incredible to get as far as they did with no true #1 dman. They arguably had 3 #3 dmen in Bouchard, Ekholm, Nurse (when playing well). No #1 goalie.

It makes what McDavid did that much more incredible. Turned Hyman into a superstar bouncing pucks off of him at the net and when Drai vanished McDavid put the team on his back. He will win a cup someday when he goes to a team with proper depth

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He played great, not his fault the best offence in the league couldn’t muster up 2 goals

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nobody has been close to as bad as Michael Leighton. He was a literal AHL’er, meaning he played most of his career in the AHL and was only in the NHL as a backup. He had no business going deep in the playoffs. Skinner is nothing like that.
I am not saying Skinner is an AHLer, but he is the worst goaler since Leighton. Stuart is below-average as a backup who got a lot of the benefit of the doubt considering an absurd and unsustainable PK and Knoblauch covering up a lot of the mistakes by using a collapsing system in the defensive zone that absorbs a lot of shotblocking.

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
He's great at that price.
Could use that money they save on some excellent defence, but have a 9.25 million skating liability as their most expensive guy in that end.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Nobody has been close to as bad as Michael Leighton. He was a literal AHL’er, meaning he played most of his career in the AHL and was only in the NHL as a backup. He had no business going deep in the playoffs. Skinner is nothing like that.
The hawks won a cup with antti niemi. Only reason is because that team was not only stacked on defense, they had three defensively responsible forwards (Toews, hossa and Bolland) that were in their prime.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
An unsustainable penalty kill probably has a lot to do with that though. Mark Stuart is the true hero of the Oilers since they ain't doing 48 in 50 ever again.
im not a skinner fan but usually the goalie is the best penalty killer

Reactions: zar

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He's proof that you don't need to spend enormous amounts. You need a "good enough" guy for cheap. Obviously they didn't quite pull it off, but he's not the reason they lost.
I'd say he's not the direct reason. But he also extended that Vancouver series. In turn, more miles on tired bodies.

Too many times he let in the first shot.

Best thing I can say for him is he's not the worst goalie to make the SCF.

But if Edmonton is banking on this guy to be their starter going forward, well....good luck.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Skinner outplayed the opposition's goalie in 3 of the 4 rounds, and the round he didn't, he played well in elimination games when it counted and contributed to the Oilers advancing. He outplayed Cam Talbot, who made the all-star game this year (yeah, not that impressive). He outplayed Jake Oettinger, a perennial top 10 goalie. And finally, he outplayed a Vezina candidate in a losing effort in the cup finals.

Skinner isn't the worst goalie to make the finals.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd say he's not the direct reason. But he also extended that Vancouver series. In turn, more miles on tired bodies.

Too many times he let in the first shot.

Best thing I can say for him is he's not the worst goalie to make the SCF.

But if Edmonton is banking on this guy to be their starter going forward, well....good luck.
I don't think he's an issue. He was solid in the SCF. The rest of the team, Draisaitl in particular, let them down. Skinner did what was needed.

Reactions: Coffey

UED

May 2, 2021
Arguably the worst goaler in the entire NHL is a very recent back-to-back cup champion.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He was fine in the SCF. He struggled in some of the earlier series. The star players got outplayed by Floridas stars in game 7. That’s really the difference.
Even then it’s a one goal game. As close as it gets.

Reactions: Coffey

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Skinner was fine. The Reinhart goal wasn't even that weak.
Oilers lost because they couldn't solve Bob in games 1 or 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad