Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Yet more random speculation: is this because couture might not play again? Trading him away makes no sense if that's the operating assumption. And, we might not even ltir him to make the floor (if that's how it works)?
LTIR doesn't remove a player's cap hit, so if Couture never plays again, it doesn't prevent us reaching the cap floor.

However, there's also no reason to put a player on LTIR unless you are exceeding the cap. We won't, barring some really nice bribes, so Couture probably doesn't see LTIR this year.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Yet more random speculation: is this because couture might not play again? Trading him away makes no sense if that's the operating assumption. And, we might not even ltir him to make the floor (if that's how it works)?
Apparently some speculation (by media member) a few days ago that Sharks might consider trading him.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I think hes just not used to being asked real questions. Sheng can get a little adventurous and Grier hasnt been in a public facing role before hiring.
I mean, there's always a bit of tension with the press. The press is trying to figure out how to get you to say or reveal things you don't want to reveal publicly, including trying to establish moles (sources) in your organization. They are 100% self interested and have no real alignment with your interests as a GM, which is to build a winning organization. There's more alignment with players, who may want positive publicity, and the business side of the org, who may want the same. But the GM only likes the press if the press helps them keep their job, and I'm sure they hate it when the press is constantly trying to create and confirm rumors you're trying to keep private.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I mean, there's always a bit of tension with the press. The press is trying to figure out how to get you to say or reveal things you don't want to reveal publicly, including trying to establish moles (sources) in your organization. They are 100% self interested and have no real alignment with your interests as a GM, which is to build a winning organization. There's more alignment with players, who may want positive publicity, and the business side of the org, who may want the same. But the GM only likes the press if the press helps them keep their job, and I'm sure they hate it when the press is constantly trying to create and confirm rumors you're trying to keep private.
The Marco call out by sheng and then immediately rebuked by Grier in a very cold way (“you mean YOUR report”) made it clear to me he doesn’t appreciate sheng’s roaming for clicks.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Sheng is a fantastic journalist. The best the Sharks have had in the couple decades I've been a fan.
He's definitely very committed, and he's always digging, and seems to be establishing good connections in the industry. The main critique I've seen is that a) his articles can sometimes be not much more than a tweet could have covered and b) he can be long winded in asking questions. Those are minor quibbles and while I agree with both of them, his positives far outweigh them and I pay for a subscription and use him basically as my main sharks news source.

If he's not a little annoying to Grier and Warso, he's probably not doing his job. I just understand why GMs/coaches get prickly at the media. At least he's not an incendiary question asker or article writer like many big markets have to deal with (eg Ray Ratto, Boomer Grump Extraordinaire).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Marco call out by sheng and then immediately rebuked by Grier in a very cold way (“you mean YOUR report”) made it clear to me he doesn’t appreciate sheng’s roaming for clicks.
This to me felt more like Grier joking around with Sheng. They both sort of laughed after. Then later when Sheng asked about offseason plans and Grier said he wanted today to be about Ryan but they’d have a call next week to answer all those questions. It really feels like there’s a mutual respect there.

That was a main answer that I think was misinterpreted. To me it sounded like it wa sWarsofsky, Sturm and others as finalists not just those 2.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
With Celebrini and Smith both having a very good track record, drafted high/acknowledged by the NHL and known to be top players on their team where ever they've played, could bring a healthy internal competition for who is going the number 1 player.

This came to my mind with the press conference for Will Smith having questions bounce around him and Celebrini. I think that will push Will Smith to remind everyone that he wants to be a 1st line center and it showing on the games in the future. It's not a secret that if Sharks org builds and develops this team the right way, we will see Celebrini and Smith on that PP1 scoring like never before.

Ultimately that's only a good thing for us Sharks fans that will be watching them grow.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Let's say we can make a trade for Atkinson and Celebrini signs. What are the main holes in FA? D obviously but:

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Atkinson
X-W. Smith-Kunin
G. Smith-Sturm-X

Ferraro-Benning
Thrun-Rutta
Muhkamadulin-Burroughs
Vlasic

You'd have to hope we get a top-4 D to move everyone else down. It's way too crowded with bottom pairing guys atm. The X's at forward could be free agents or leave spots for guys like Graf, Bordeleau, Guschin, Bystedt, Carpenter, Bailey, Zadina, Studnicka, etc. to fight for.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Let's say we can make a trade for Atkinson and Celebrini signs. What are the main holes in FA? D obviously but:

Kostin-Celebrini-Atkinson
X-W. Smith-Kunin
G. Smith-Sturm-X

Ferraro-Benning
Thrun-Rutta
Muhkamadulin-Burroughs
Vlasic

You'd have to hope we get a top-4 D to move everyone else down. It's way too crowded with bottom pairing guys atm. The X's at forward could be free agents or leave spots for guys like Graf, Bordeleau, Guschin, Bystedt, Carpenter, Bailey, Zadina, Studnicka, etc. to fight for.
I’d hope we could add a top 4 D, add another two way C, and two more wingers that aren’t terrible.

That two way C can just be moving Sturm up to Smith’s line basically hoping to have someone help Smith with the defensive responsibilities but ideally my lineup is

xxx-Celebrini-xxx
Sturm-Smith-Kostin
Kunin-xxx-xxx

Ferraro-xxx
Mukhamadullin-Benning
Thrun-Emberson
Vlasic

Mukh and Thrun are sort of interchangeable here. I’d also be totally fine dropping Eklund to Celebrini’s line. If we are talking pure FA my ideals are Teuvo Teravainen, Tyler Bertuzzi, Brett Pesce, Steven Lorentz, and some high leadership, good in the locker room fourth liner guy.

Reactions: themelkman

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It could still be a possibility. Would give us a veteran right handed shot which is a need. He's scored 41 goals before so while I wouldn't expect that...could be a scorer. 5'8 is the main concern...but who cares given we'd probably be paid to take him.
Seems to go against the Grier comments about getting bigger and grittier to support the rookies in the lineup. Though the interest in him shows a willingness to take on some salary in exchange for assets (something we'd hoped for but I was skeptical of our willingness to do). So many ways things can go in the next 10-14 days. Ready for moves.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
He's definitely very committed, and he's always digging, and seems to be establishing good connections in the industry. The main critique I've seen is that a) his articles can sometimes be not much more than a tweet could have covered and b) he can be long winded in asking questions. Those are minor quibbles and while I agree with both of them, his positives far outweigh them and I pay for a subscription and use him basically as my main sharks news source.

If he's not a little annoying to Grier and Warso, he's probably not doing his job. I just understand why GMs/coaches get prickly at the media. At least he's not an incendiary question asker or article writer like many big markets have to deal with (eg Ray Ratto, Boomer Grump Extraordinaire).
I feel like Boomer Grump is the logical sequel to Forrest Gump. :sarcasm:

"Just win the damn game, Jenny."

"Life is like a box of chocolates, better when I was a kid."

That's all I have to say about that...

Reactions: Pavelski2112

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’d hope we could add a top 4 D, add another two way C, and two more wingers that aren’t terrible.

That two way C can just be moving Sturm up to Smith’s line but ideally my lineup is

xxx-Celebrini-xxx
Sturm-Smith-Kostin
Kunin-xxx-xxx

Ferraro-xxx
Mukhamadullin-Benning
Thrun-Emberson
Vlasic

Mukh and Thrun are sort of interchangeable here. I’d also be totally fine dropping Eklund to Celebrini’s line. If we are talking pure FA my ideals are Teuvo Teravainen, Tyler Bertuzzi, Brett Pesce, Steven Lorentz, and some high leadership, good in the locker room fourth liner guy.
Think it would be best for Smith to play on a line with Granlund as they can both mix in at center and RW and take strong side faceoffs. That would leave a spot for a 3C that could be Couture or Pageau.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Think it would be best for Smith to play on a line with Granlund as they can both mix in at center and RW and take strong side faceoffs. That would leave a spot for a 3C that could be Couture or Pageau.
Personally I’m not a fan of rookies being forced to face top competition. I think Celebrini and Smith should be on separate lines and I think those lines should be 2 and 3 with Granlund taking the hard matchups. Hell I’d even fully support dropping Eklund drown and picking up another defensively responsible winger to put on that line.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Aren’t both Smith and Granlund RH shots? I would think Couture or Pageau woukd be good linemates for Smith.

Edit: I just checked and I was mistaken. I thought because Granlund also played RW that he was a right shot.

More importantly Couture being healthy would be very helpful for the team to have him play wing for one of the kids.

Last edited:

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Personally I’m not a fan of rookies being forced to face top competition. I think Celebrini and Smith should be on separate lines and I think those lines should be 2 and 3 with Granlund taking the hard matchups. Hell I’d even fully support dropping Eklund drown and picking up another defensively responsible winger to put on that line.
Sturm shouldn't be playing 3C though. We'd benefit from having him center a strong energy 4th line.

Couture would be an ideal mentor, here's hoping he'll recover and be healthy next season.

Reactions: themelkman

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sturm shouldn't be playing 3C though. We'd benefit from having him center a strong energy 4th line.

Couture would be an ideal mentor, here's hoping he'll recover and be healthy next season.
Smith would be the 3C, Sturm would be the defensive presence on the third line. I also think you are fine with Sturm at 3C. It’s not like we are a playoff team or close to it.

Keep him with Smith to pump up his value for a deadline trade.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Aren’t both Smith and Granlund RH shots? I would think Couture or Pageau woukd be good linemates for Smith.
Granlund is a LH shot that plays his off side on the wing (when not playing center). Couture would be a LW and Pageau is a fellow RH shot (that is not offensively inclined to play the skill game we want to see with Smith with heavy OZ starts).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad