Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If we're going to speak things into existence, can we speak something a lot cooler into existence?
@Hodge tried to speak an Askarov trade into existence. Askarov just asked for a trade and says he won't report to the AHL. It's as good a candidate as any, and goalie is the last open check box on the off-season checklist.

EDIT: main boards thread has someone predicting Askarov to Sharks for one of Bystedt or Edstrom.

Nashville fans like it. I kind of like it.

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'd give up any asset in our org not named Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, 2025 1st, or Dickinson for Askarov in a 1 for 1. Musty would hurt, but if that's what it takes so be it.

Outside of one more top-D prospect the rebuild would be close to done.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I'd give up any asset in our org not named Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, 2025 1st, or Dickinson for Askarov in a 1 for 1. Musty would hurt, but if that's what it takes so be it.

Outside of one more top-D prospect the rebuild would be close to done.
I'm not as confident in any of our prospects turning out, or Askarov being a guaranteed thing, but I'm sure Grier will be on the phone in an hour or so.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Do they you think putting a young/prospect goalie behind the worst defense/team in the league hurt their development?? That would be my only concern
This is my concern as well. It seems like asking any young goalie to play for the 24-25 Sharks is going to harm their development. I still think we should wait before adding a goalie and making sure the rest of the team is at least decent before making a young goalie one of our top 2 goalies.

Reactions: Star Platinum

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
So it seems Askarov is basically asking out of Nashville. What could we reasonably afford that Nashville would accept? I'm not totally up on their needs.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
So it seems Askarov is basically asking out of Nashville. What could we reasonably afford that Nashville would accept? I'm not totally up on their needs.
Trade the Vegas 1st, efff ittt

@Hodge tried to speak an Askarov trade into existence. Askarov just asked for a trade and says he won't report to the AHL. It's as good a candidate as any, and goalie is the last open check box on the off-season checklist.

EDIT: main boards thread has someone predicting Askarov to Sharks for one of Bystedt or Edstrom.

That would be tight. As long as the Sharks being garbage doesn't ruin this guy. He's probably 2 years early

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Thought Sergachev was a 2014 draftee, not at 2016 draftee, which is mea culpa, but the rest of my points stand. And Dobson is the clear #1D on his team, while I see Sergachev as a #3.

Dobson has a case to get >$9M because that's the caliber of player he is, plus the righty premium.
Dobson being unsigned and a year away from UFA status is a huge factor in his trade value.

I would do VGK 1st (once it's confirmed out of the lottery), Ferraro, Musty and a late round pick for Dobson if he's willing to sign with us for ~9.5.

Then sign Marcus Pettersson in free agency and we could have our new top pair for the next 5 years or so. Alleviates the pressure on Dickinson and Mukhamadullin to develop into anything more than solid 2nd pairing guys.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

I would do that trade for sure, as Bystedt and Edstrom seem a bit redundant to me.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
As much as I really would love a young goalie with Askarovs potential I am very scared of the cost. Paying a ton for a young goalie has gone bad many times in the NHL
I just dont think the timing makes sense.

You are going to put a young goalie behind this team and hopes he holds it together for the next 5 years until you are ready to compete again?

He wants out because there is no way to play.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I just dont think the timing makes sense.

You are going to put a young goalie behind this team and hopes he holds it together for the next 5 years until you are ready to compete again?

He wants out because there is no way to play.
You put him as the backup for now, but he’s clearly got the inside track to become the starter in a few years.

In Nashville he has no chance to play games and could never become starter, here we should have no problem dumping one of our two goalies to make room considering both are pretty bad.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Seems like goalies traded never quite get the value we associate with them, I'm trying to think of a comparable goalie prospect that was moved and am coming up blank

Bordeleau and/or Gushchin + a pick perhaps?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If Askarov gets blown up in the NHL we can always send him to the Barracuda.

His agent just wants him to be given a legitimate chance to show he's ready but if he gets shelled every game that's not helping anyone.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'll be really curious what Askarov ends up returning in the end. I know they desperately want Will Smith and really need center prospects, but obviously that's not happening.

I'd do Vegas' unprotected 1st (maybe protect it for top-3 with our 2026 as collateral?) and their choice of Bystedt and Edstrom. Not sure if they're likely to have a better center prospect offered, but who the hell knows. Feel like this trade request is kinda unprecedented.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I'll be really curious what Askarov ends up returning in the end. I know they desperately want Will Smith and really need center prospects, but obviously that's not happening.

I'd do Vegas' unprotected 1st (maybe protect it for top-3 with our 2026 as collateral?) and their choice of Bystedt and Edstrom. Not sure if they're likely to have a better center prospect offered, but who the hell knows. Feel like this trade request is kinda unprecedented.
So the value range on our internal boards is
Low: Bords / Gushchin and some other mid-round pick for Askarov
High: Vegas unprotected 1st with some very limited protections, Edstrom/Bystedt for Askarov

Agreed, it will be interesting to see how the actual market values him. I think he's too unproven to be an answer for a contender (NJ, COL, etc), and I'm not sure how many building/rebuilding teams are in that dire a need for a top end goalie prospect (edit). Feels like maybe we can get on the other side of the Kipper situation from eons ago. Personally my top price from this here keyboard is Edstrom or Bystedt but not also the VGK first.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

That’s too much. I would offer Bordeleau and our 2025 2nd. If the Preds want any more than that, just wait them out. Askarov is RFA next summer and a 4.5M offer sheet would be crazy for them to match and only cost a 2nd.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That’s too much. I would offer Bordeleau and our 2025 2nd. If the Preds want any more than that, just wait them out. Askarov is RFA next summer and a 4.5M offer sheet would be crazy for them to match and only cost a 2nd.
Yeah, I don't think Nashville would be getting that offer from us, it's just the max I'd be willing to do. That offer IMO is better than what Cutter Gauthier got. The trade request definitely impacts his value.

I think Bystedt+2nd would be very reasonable though. Basically they know if they don't trade him, he's basically guaranteed to sign an offer sheet next summer. We tell them by moving him now they get Bystedt who is a legit middle-six C prospect but who is quite redundant with Edstrom.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
So the value range on our internal boards is
Low: Bords / Gushchin and some other mid-round pick for Askarov
High: Vegas unprotected 1st with some very limited protections, Edstrom/Bystedt for Askarov

Agreed, it will be interesting to see how the actual market values him. I think he's too unproven to be an answer for a contender (NJ, COL, etc), and I'm not sure how many building/rebuilding teams are in that dire a need for a top end goalie prospect (edit). Feels like maybe we can get on the other side of the Kipper situation from eons ago. Personally my top price from this here keyboard is Edstrom or Bystedt but not also the VGK first.

Trotz owes us Askarov for Edstrom straight up after the whole Ozzy trade. :laugh:

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Can't see him getting much, don't know what the obsession is with having fewer players who are hard to play against.

• Wow

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I wonder...Nashville's window is open right now. If they trade with the Sharks, they will prefer guys who can help the team right now...or a 3rd team needs to get invovled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad