Prospect Info: 2023-24 #1: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Even if tuomala never pans out I will take that kind of high end miss every time . Kid is FAST
Tuomaala is the first project for this development team. Hes got the skating, all they have to do is teach him a few things about pushing defenders back and how to initiate give and goes when hes got the puck in the offensive zone and where to go to get open after, a kid that skates like him should have no trouble finding open ice if everyones being coached an actual system

Reactions: captainpaxil

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Was Tuomaala good, bad or decent? I missed the preseason games.
He's fast. We've known this for a while. Like elite game changing speed. Other than that, he didn't look like he belongs in the NHL right now. He's a project. And not one I'd say is particularly close. But it's worth the gamble.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you accept Tuomaala is a bottom six candidate who lacks playmaking skills and vision for a top six role, he's got a promising future as a fast forechecker who can be disruptive. Phantoms will have some speed for once with Tuomaala, Brown, Avon, Desnoyers, Lycksell, Gendron.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
If you accept Tuomaala is a bottom six candidate who lacks playmaking skills and vision for a top six role, he's got a promising future as a fast forechecker who can be disruptive. Phantoms will have some speed for once with Tuomaala, Brown, Avon, Desnoyers, Lycksell, Gendron.
As long as cro-magna coach plays them over AHL lifers becasue we still have a decent number of those....

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As long as cro-magna coach plays them over AHL lifers becasue we still have a decent number of those....
Actually, we don't anymore. They've moved out the over 30 guys in favor of Marody (26), Brooks (27), Gardner (27), Furry (24), Gaucher (24), Zmolek (24), Brown (24), Mete (25), Belpedio (27). Karashik (25).

Checking the preliminary roster, Wilson (32) is the only over 30 player, Kile (29) is a marginal player, same with Polei (27) and Brady (27). Need extra bodies for both injuries and call-ups.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Replaced Armstrong with Snowden:

John Snowden, 41, joins the Phantoms after spending the previous two seasons as an assistant coach with the Toronto Marlies. Snowden won a Kelly Cup Championship in the ECHL in 2019 as head coach of the Newfoundland Growlers after stepping in as head coach mid-season. He spent two seasons with Newfoundland following a three-year stint as an assistant with the Orlando Solar Bears.

Reactions: captainpaxil

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
why do you keep pushing this agenda? Flyers do not see him as a bottom 6 at this time.

Now how cement head helps his game I do not know. See how long he last in the top 6 in LHV

Actually, we don't anymore. They've moved out the over 30 guys in favor of Marody (26), Brooks (27), Gardner (27), Furry (24), Gaucher (24), Zmolek (24), Brown (24), Mete (25), Belpedio (27). Karashik (25).

Checking the preliminary roster, Wilson (32) is the only over 30 player, Kile (29) is a marginal player, same with Polei (27) and Brady (27). Need extra bodies for both injuries and call-ups.
just because you are not over 30 doesnt mean you aren't an AHL lifer like marody, brooks, and the like.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
why do you keep pushing this agenda? Flyers do not see him as a bottom 6 at this time.

Now how cement head helps his game I do not know. See how long he last in the top 6 in LHV

just because you are not over 30 doesnt mean you aren't an AHL lifer like marody, brooks, and the like.
I think his issue is more a hockey iq thing. It might click for him give enough time. Some of the best bottom six guys are top six guys at the ahl level .

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I think his issue is more a hockey iq thing. It might click for him give enough time. Some of the best bottom six guys are top six guys at the ahl level .
Do not disagree. All I am saying is they still believe in him as a top 6 player. He may very well end up elsewhere in the lineup. He just keeps on sayin the plan or what not is bottom 6.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All you have to do is look at Tuomaala play and know his future isn't in the top six in the NHL. Just doesn't have the skill package. But it's rare for a forward taken after #40 to be a top six forward.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017

Well that is good to know....

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Not trying to be an asshole with this comment, but why would you (or anyone for that matter) expect to see someone improve an area of weakness at a higher standard of play if they shown they can’t do it at lower standard of play?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not trying to be an asshole with this comment, but why would you (or anyone for that matter) expect to see someone improve an area of weakness at a higher standard of play if they shown they can’t do it at lower standard of play?
I think you push them to improve in those areas at a lower level, not to fill that role at a higher level of play, but to be a better player in a lesser role in the NHL.

So you play Desnoyers in a top six role in LHV to work on his offense, so he's a more valuable bottom six forward in the NHL.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Some guys have the instinct to be where the play is and others benefit from a more structured system. Tuomala had a haphazard year in his d+1 so I feel time on the ice will be good for him

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I mean yeah, it's probably gonna end at bottom 6 if he ever even reaches the NHL. But... Besides his speed he does actually have a decent shot as well.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
I havent seen enough of Samu to conclude anything other than he's a fast skater, he doesnt seem to be a particularly great puck handler and hasnt shown an ability to weave through traffic just around it. If Lappy is worth is anything he can draw up plays with that, when Tuomaala takes the puck for a walk around the o zone show the kids how to get the defensemen crossed up or time some back door plays, or cross ice stuff idk but theres a ton of potential once everyone is on the same page. Every time he's carried the puck around the horseshoe the play has just died because they havent been working on systems in camp, nobody was ready. Gendron and Desy should both be able to finish those plays and get open in Lehigh, Avon and Wisdom too have been offensive junior guys, its really the only argument for Bob/Tyson to start with the Phantoms, they'll have a lot more support this year and it looks like a team that can go absolutely bonkers. If these guys can put it all together in the A this year and after another training camp next year they'll be cold blooded killers

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Speed did not matter much in Liiga...

where he was just always behind the play. Hard to forecheck when the puck has gone the other way 3 seconds earlier!

Just very poor hockey IQ.

I thought the pick was okay as a swing, but kind of shocked he is still in camp... he has not exactly done anything much in games or in scrimmages from what I saw.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Speed did not matter much in Liiga...

where he was just always behind the play. Hard to forecheck when the puck has gone the other way 3 seconds earlier!

Just very poor hockey IQ.

I thought the pick was okay as a swing, but kind of shocked he is still in camp... he has not exactly done anything much in games or in scrimmages from what I saw.
how much have you seen?

maybe just keeping him in camp as a confidence booster before he is sent down.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
does anybody here pay for ahltv? i wanna know if preseason games are broadcast, i didnt get it last year until halfway into the season so Idk if they had the feeds

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Phantoms have 2 shots; WBS has 2 goals. Seems like Cro-magna coach has started where he left off....We suck at all levels....
i think theres still like 10 phantoms in main camp, we dont even have 4 centers in lehigh right now its training camp
and penguins made their cuts early because of the sydney games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad