Prospect Info: 2023-24 #1: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Do yourself a favor go watch the world championships last year.... against men...he's good

I'll preface this by saying I like Gauthier as a prospect (judging by the posts more than most on here).

That being said, using the World Championship as a gauge doesn't tell much about a prospect.

With the exception of the top line or two the rosters are mostly AHL or lower caliber players.

And outside the top four or five teams, much of the rosters are filled with players who will never come close to competing in the NHL.

A few years ago the Devils had a defensemen from Notre Dame playing for the USA and he acquitted himself well. He was never signed by the Devils (nor any other NHL club); signing an AHL deal with the Marlies and splitting time between the AHL and ECHL.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Can someone explain the Phantoms to me. They should be better than their record. Tonight they have a whole seven shots on goal so far. Whenever i watch them there seems to be no type of system. Is IL really that horrible a coach? I'm guessing yes

Record-wise the Phantoms are about where they should be.

There are two approaches to AHL franchises. You can stock up on AAAA players in hopes of winning a league title or, as the Flyers have done, place your younger prospects in top roles and live with the mistakes and lessons that these players make to eventually develop NHL players.

That the Phantoms are winning as much as their losing shows that while they are learning they are also competitive.

And as for Laperriere and the rest of the Phantoms staff - that would seem to indicate they are doing the job for which they were hired.

Reactions: captainpaxil

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Does this guy have Frost’s upside? Maybe that’s why the org is a bit lukewarm to him, perhaps lining to the fact that they might sign him this year?
TL/DR - I have no idea what his upside is because no one has really done this before.

One of the reasons I'm so intrigued by Rizzo is I have no idea what the hell is happening with him from a development standpoint.

I stumbled upon him when DU was playing BC this season when watching Cutter, and was more drawn to Rizzo than Cutter (it was a particularly bad game for Cutter). From the viewings that I have, and the highlights that have been posted, one thing is absolutely clear - this kid has serious skill. High levels of skill. When you watch him, it's also clear that he's not a passenger, ie - it's not someone else doing the work, and he's just benefitting.

With that being said, he's 22 right now, drafted in 2019. In his draft season in the BCHL, his scoring was pedestrian. As an example, Alex Newhook scored 102 points in 52 games and in the same league and year where Rizzo scored 40 points in 37 games. And to be honest, his scoring totals were pedestrian until last season...Even that wasn't phenomenal, just decent.

This year Rizzo's scoring has gone to even another level, scoring around 1.78 points per game, which for college is crazy high. 1.5 points per game is awesome and can be projected to NHL scoring, but usually the guys who score at that rate and have projectable top-line NHL talent are much younger than Rizzo, say 18-20. Doing it at 22 isn't a red-flag, but it's not as impressive as when a 19 year old does it.

So then the questions are: Is this season just a flash in the pan? Has this kid always had this talent? Is he a late bloomer? And it goes back to the point that when you watch him, he's the guy. He's not benefitting from someone else's play. He's the dude making things work.

Finally, I often wondered why Carolina traded him away. I always thought it was because they knew he was going to go to free agency. But, now I'm not so sure. Purely from a Stats standpoint, until this season, Rizzo didn't do anything to warrant an ELC. I can see a scenario where they just didn't think he was going to be a player and traded him away. Not sure if that's the case, but I can see it happening.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
TL/DR - I have no idea what his upside is because no one has really done this before.

One of the reasons I'm so intrigued by Rizzo is I have no idea what the hell is happening with him from a development standpoint.

I stumbled upon him when DU was playing BC this season when watching Cutter, and was more drawn to Rizzo than Cutter (it was a particularly bad game for Cutter). From the viewings that I have, and the highlights that have been posted, one thing is absolutely clear - this kid has serious skill. High levels of skill. When you watch him, it's also clear that he's not a passenger, ie - it's not someone else doing the work, and he's just benefitting.

With that being said, he's 22 right now, drafted in 2019. In his draft season in the BCHL, his scoring was pedestrian. As an example, Alex Newhook scored 102 points in 52 games and in the same league and year where Rizzo scored 40 points in 37 games. And to be honest, his scoring totals were pedestrian until last season...Even that wasn't phenomenal, just decent.

This year Rizzo's scoring has gone to even another level, scoring around 1.78 points per game, which for college is crazy high. 1.5 points per game is awesome and can be projected to NHL scoring, but usually the guys who score at that rate and have projectable top-line NHL talent are much younger than Rizzo, say 18-20. Doing it at 22 isn't a red-flag, but it's not as impressive as when a 19 year old does it.

So then the questions are: Is this season just a flash in the pan? Has this kid always had this talent? Is he a late bloomer? And it goes back to the point that when you watch him, he's the guy. He's not benefitting from someone else's play. He's the dude making things work.

Finally, I often wondered why Carolina traded him away. I always thought it was because they knew he was going to go to free agency. But, now I'm not so sure. Purely from a Stats standpoint, until this season, Rizzo didn't do anything to warrant an ELC. I can see a scenario where they just didn't think he was going to be a player and traded him away. Not sure if that's the case, but I can see it happening.

Thanks!

Development isn’t linear, and there are times where players don’t figure it out until 22 - whatever league they are in. Maybe his tempered growth allowed us to acquire him, because as I understand even last year, he was targeted by the Flyers pre-trade. I doubt the Canes trade him now, especially since TonyD is still a bust there.

Would be nice for us to be on the receiving end of a prospect that blows up for once.

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Idk who Rizzo is or what he's doing but for him to come out of nowhere to be a steal by accident is such a Flyers move I have no idea. Flyers are gonna luck through this "rebuild" and think their process isn't broken.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Idk who Rizzo is or what he's doing but for him to come out of nowhere to be a steal by accident is such a Flyers move I have no idea. Flyers are gonna luck through this "rebuild" and think their process isn't broken.
The process stinks but there is nothing wrong with being lucky. Rather that then thinking you hit a HR with a prospect and he ends up being a dud

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Record-wise the Phantoms are about where they should be.

There are two approaches to AHL franchises. You can stock up on AAAA players in hopes of winning a league title or, as the Flyers have done, place your younger prospects in top roles and live with the mistakes and lessons that these players make to eventually develop NHL players.

That the Phantoms are winning as much as their losing shows that while they are learning they are also competitive.

And as for Laperriere and the rest of the Phantoms staff - that would seem to indicate they are doing the job for which they were hired.
If you have no idea about what you are talking about, sometimes its more worth to stop talking about it!

Your stance is as vanilla as it gets. And it shows you haven´t follow the Phantoms 1 minute in the last 10 years. You dont know what they have done and not done! But you want to troll this community with such positive vibes!

This is the last reply from me on any of your posts. Have a nice one!

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
We need to Luck into a 1D and 1C and maybe I'll be able to be happy. Still mad about Giroux.
This is EXACTLY the problem. You very rarely luck into a 1C or a 1D, especially if you’re drafting in the middle of the 1st rd or later. They picked 5th and 7th the last 2 years and picked wingers, unless Gauthier can be a C. Good picks but unless Michkov is Kucherov 2.0, they don’t have the elite talent they will need to run with the good teams. The rebuild is going nowhere without adding top C and D prospects.

This was the year to tank for Celebrini or one of the top D prospects. They are going to miss them, unless there is a big drop off.

Rebuild delayed = perpetual mediocrity = Flyers Hockey.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
This is EXACTLY the problem. You very rarely luck into a 1C or a 1D, especially if you’re drafting in the middle of the 1st rd or later. They picked 5th and 7th the last 2 years and picked wingers, unless Gauthier can be a C. Good picks but unless Michkov is Kucherov 2.0, they don’t have the elite talent they will need to run with the good teams. The rebuild is going nowhere without adding top C and D prospects.

This was the year to tank for Celebrini or one of the top D prospects. They are going to miss them, unless there is a big drop off.

They did luck into the top prospect in all of hockey.....I hear ya though

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017

Flyers love t-shirts. This should definitely be a t-shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad