Prospect Info: 2023-24 #1: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Haven't heard much about him, but Jonathan Fauchon is interesting.
5/11 176, turns 19 in Jan, went undrafted.

Played on the same team with Gendron before he was traded, leading scorer with 65 points in 53 games on a weak offense. Supposedly has speed and creativity.

Sam Sedley is the other interesting prospect, 20 year old D-man, listed on EP at 5'10 154, listed on Flyers rookie roster at 6'0 184, either someone is wrong or EP is working off his numbers at 18 and he's had a growth spurt.
I would absolutely roll the dice with a contract for him, especially given some of the crap they have given contracts to in the past - Willman, J Cates, Marody, Brooks, ND, Gardner....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one jumped out at me, but it's hard to in these games.
But one thing did stand out, was overall team speed, they're just faster than previous years, and that's without Avon, probably the fastest player in the organization.

Bonk - really composed, broke up numerous entries, not a dynamic player, but you can see why they like him, just a smart player who plays under control, and uses that long reach.

Tuomaala - looked like a real player, he's not the most skillful puck handler, but solid body, very good speed, good shot, future could be an energy player who scores goals.

Brink - simply sees the ice at a different level, didn't quite connect but created numerous "almost" plays.

Ciernak - had a nice shot for the goal but wide open at point blank range.

It's hard to judge players like Foerster and Desnoyers in a game like this, both know that these games really don't matter for them, it'll be practice and exhibition games that decide where they end up this season.

One thing that stood out to me was a number of CHL players tried to make plays that probably worked at lower levels but were thwarted.

The lack of structure makes it hard to see more than raw skills, someone like Southeran stood out, but was it b/c he has talent or b/c he was gambling on offense?

Reactions: sregdoor

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Staal, while his advanced metrics sucked, played 18:50 at ES in the playoffs over 21 games for Florida, Gudas 14:45, Mahura 12:40.

Now either the GM and HC on Florida are total idiots, or advanced metrics don't accurately reflect player value in all cases. I mean when you're going for the Cup, you don't play veterans for sentimental reasons.

While Seeler has played RHD, he's better suited at LHD, and Staal has been pretty much a LHD.
York will probably be paired with Walker initially, Sanheim and Risto.
So I see one of Seeler/Staal playing most nights with a young D-man.

By the TDL, Walker, Seeler and Staal will be potential trade bait for teams with injuries that want defensive depth for the playoffs.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Just finished watching the game....
1. So glad we wasted draft capital by trading up in the 2nd only to waste it on that goalie. Good news is no need to learn how to spell or pronounce his name
2. It seems not only do we suck now but we are on track to suck in both the near and distant future
3. Foerster, Brink and Desnoyer were invisible so looks like a heathy dose of the scrub ass vet-tran presence for the foreseeable future
4. And, of course, Avon injured yet again

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
1. So glad we wasted draft capital by trading up in the 2nd only to waste it on that goalie. Good news is no need to learn how to spell or pronounce his name
2. It seems not only do we suck now but we are on track to suck in both the near and distant future
3. Foerster, Brink and Desnoyer were invisible so looks like a heathy dose of the scrub ass vet-tran presence for the foreseeable future
its just a rookie game, and we were missing our best rookies and best rookie goaltenders, whereas NY rolled their studs both games, 12 of their guys played in the AHL last year whereas the majority of our guys played junior leagues, i wouldnt get this dramatic over it

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Dude....it's just a rookie game

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
That Matt Brown was probably the best player in both games this weekend for the rookie squad.

Would like to see more of Matt Brown when the regular training camp opens next week.

Avon is out 4-6 weeks with a knee sprain…

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
That Matt Brown was probably the best player in both games this weekend for the rookie squad.

Would like to see more of Matt Brown when the regular training camp opens next week.

Avon is out 4-6 weeks with a knee sprain…
ya he was flying, if he can keep that pace up through the pre season he definitely gets a shot with the Phantoms, his saving grace is being a left wing and we're short there as far as depth goes.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I only saw game 1 but Foerster was looking polished, despite not having much to show for it. His skating looks better by a little bit as well. He needs to be playing with someone who can carry the puck and make entry plays, he comes to life with established ozone possession. Looked good on the PP with Bonk and Brink a bit, although it with the other unit that capitalized. Came up a day late and buck short a few times by not using his body to create a moment or inch to complete a shot or pass. You can see it coming together well, though.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Emil Andrae had a few good chances early in the game but couldn’t find the net.

Alex Ciernik looked good as well as he seems to have a knack for finding the quiet spots on the ice when he doesn’t have the puck in the offensive zone for good shooting opportunities.
Those three that I listed were the best at being consistent. Brink, with extremely limited help, was the only consistently threatening player - 4 or 5 shots, dangerous looks, smart passes… would have been nice to see a goal scored or an assist, but he was the only player who consistently was offensively competent. He looked decent defensively as well imo. Used his body a few times to knock the puck loose, created a few turnovers. He was their best imo.

Ciernik, first time seeing him play, looked very good, always knew what to do with the puck. Made lots of really smart plays, always in the right position. I liked the way he played.

Andae was good in transition. Very good at making smart passes getting out of the zone.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Dude....it's just a rookie game
Well, we could agree to disagree. In fairness, I went back and re-read each of my 4 points and they still seem very valid. It was also just a rookie game for the Rangers, but based their performance, their future seems a little brighter......

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad