Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Toews for Nylander makes some sense from a value POV both being pending UFAs. Toews would probably be a touch more valuable due to playing the more valuable position. Wouldn’t like to trade him if a C solution isn’t coming back though.

Tbh Toews should be worth a considerable amount more. Dman versus winger alone is a pretty hefty nod in Toews favor. Then the fact he makes $2.8M less as well for the last year of each deal. If it was Toews for Nylander I'd want Bostons 1st in the deal as well.

I think that would depend on the GM situation in Toronto. If they bring back Dubas I think that’s a deal that could materialize, but some GM’s are very much old school in their thinking that dmen need to be big.

True. Depends on the GM situation for sure.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Byram definitely comes across as having the same sort of pride/confidence that Zadorov has, so I agree with others that he will always be tough to negotiate. The problem is if he's too prideful to see if he deserves a lot for playing an absolute bare minimum of games thus far in his career.

Backlund is my target for a centre, especially over MS55. Scheifele absolutely helps on the PP and 5v5 scoring, but there is so much more that is required to win hockey games and Backlund does that "so much more" stuff.

I'd trade Newhook and Girard for an extended Nylander.
Nylander probably costs Byram because why would Leafs take anybody worse than him?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Byram definitely comes across as having the same sort of pride/confidence that Zadorov has, so I agree with others that he will always be tough to negotiate. The problem is if he's too prideful to see if he deserves a lot for playing an absolute bare minimum of games thus far in his career.

Backlund is my target for a centre, especially over MS55. Scheifele absolutely helps on the PP and 5v5 scoring, but there is so much more that is required to win hockey games and Backlund does that "so much more" stuff.

Nylander probably costs Byram because why would Leafs take anybody worse than him?
Because they want to blow it up and try something different. He might be cap casualty if they plan on keeping Matthews and Marner.

Didn't Dubas come out and say He's seeking something like the Tkachuk trade?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just say no to Mark Scheifele. Guy is one of the very worst defensive centres in hockey and goes full "me me me" mode all the time.

Want nothing to do with him.

I don't care for him either. Same with Dubois. Both have proven to be divas who fold the very moment they face adversity or tough talk from their coach.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Because they want to blow it up and try something different. He might be cap casualty if they plan on keeping Matthews and Marner.

Didn't Dubas come out and say He's seeking something like the Tkachuk trade?
You probably know more than me since I haven't been aware of rumours for the past couple of months, but I would add that Dubas might be there to make those changes. I thought his moves were a failure at the TDL and he also signed Tavares who has been a failure. Not in terms of production, but in terms of destroying your cap structure.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
You probably know more than me since I haven't been aware of rumours for the past couple of months, but I would add that Dubas might be there to make those changes. I thought his moves were a failure at the TDL and he also signed Tavares who has been a failure. Not in terms of production, but in terms of destroying your cap structure.
From what I'm hearing it's highly unlikely the core 4 in Toronto will all be there to start next season. Tavares is untradeable so it's gotta be one of the 3 and I think Nylander is the most likely to be moved.

Pierce Hawthorne

Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It does feel like this could be a pretty wild summer tbh. A lot of teams that are boned for cap space, a lot of team that went all in this year and have absolutely nothing to show for it, and a lot of teams that have fallen below expectations for years now that are likely looking at big shakeups.

The Avs are kind of in that same situation in terms of cap space... But knowing Landy's situation and knowing we have that $7M of space to work with does put us in a position to where we have some room to wiggle around and work with.

All that to say it will be extremely disappointing and frankly unacceptable by CMac if we come out of this summer without a legit solution to the 2C spot at the bare minimum. And really, we should have some improved depth from last year as well.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The Matthews scenario should be interesting. His NMC kicks in July 1. If he makes it past that date his leverage with Toronto is pretty nuts. Gotta feel like the decision with him is going to have to be made here soon.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Alright here me out....

- Girard for Nylander
- Newhook + '23 1st + Ranta for PLD

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Nylander - PLD - Nuke

With about $11M left in cap space to re-sign Byram and Meyers, fill out a 3rd line, and 3rd Defense pairing.
I mean, the Avs would be fools not to do these. The Leafs would have to be a bit dim to trade Nylander for Girard though. The Leafs' problems won't be fixed by just tinkering...and I don't mean that in a derogatory way to Girard, I mean that Dubas has actually made a lot of moves over the past few years in terms of shifting around his defense and depth forwards. It's abundantly clear at this point that their core is the problem -- and Nylander is arguably the least problematic of the lot come playoffs. The Leafs either need to do something quite drastic with Matthews/Tavares/Marner, or they need to just keep running it back as Washington once did.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Alright here me out....

- Girard for Nylander

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Nylander - PLD - Nuke

With about $11M left in cap space to re-sign Byram and Meyers, fill out a 3rd line, and 3rd Defense pairing.
I hate the idea of trading Girard, Newhook, 1st and Ranta, all 4 cost controlled assets with at least medium term value, and we get back only 1 year value players. No medium term solutions.

The Avs have cost control for 2 more seasons, with the exception of Toews, (and we’ll see what happens with Byram, but I expect a short term bridge)

But Nuke, Lehkonen, Makar, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Girard, Georgiev and prob Byram are all locked in for 2 seasons. We should targeting that length.

I’m not sure it’s the best use of assets to do an all in for 1 season, and then literally be stuck with the same problems the next season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Doubt Toronto is all that interested in Girard. I wonder if there's much of a market for him at all. I mean, I'm as big a supporter of his as anyone, but the last two seasons have been a rough slog for him. Defensively he rebounded pretty well this year, but the offense has been conspicuously absent for a while now, and it's not like he piled up the points to begin with.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Alright here me out....

- Girard for Nylander

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Nylander - PLD - Nuke

This would be nice, get a 3c around 2-2.5. fill the wings with 1m players

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I hate the idea of trading Girard, Newhook, 1st and Ranta, all 4 cost controlled assets with at least medium term value, and we get back only 1 year value players. No medium term solutions.

The Avs have cost control for 2 more seasons, with the exception of Toews, (and we’ll see what happens with Byram, but I expect a short term bridge)

But Nuke, Lehkonen, Makar, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Girard, Georgiev and prob Byram are all locked in for 2 seasons. We should targeting that length.

I’m not sure it’s the best use of assets to do an all in for 1 season, and then literally be stuck with the same problems the next season.
Tbf if PLD came here it’d be with a signing essentially done.

Reactions: Bender

Pierce Hawthorne

Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

IMO they should be trying to have as little cap tied up beyond next year as possible right now, because there's so much uncertainty around this team beyond next year.

If they made those moves for example, on July 1st 2024 we'd only have 8 players signed at that point. Those 8 being Mackinnon(12.6M), Rantanen(9.25M), Nuke(6.125M), Lehky(4.5M), LOC(1.05M), Makar(9.0M), Manson(4.5M), and Georgiev(3.4M). Probably a Byram bridge deal with 1 year left for around 4M as well.

Then there's the unknown around Landy and his $7M which is a huge factor. But its for this reason that I really think they should be strictly targeting guys with just 1 year left on those deals. Or at the most, 2 years like Kuznetsov.

Having lots of cap space is a huge weapon. We saw it a bunch last year and we're likely going to see it again this summer that cap space is extremely valuable and teams will practically give away good players for dirt cheap because of the cap crunch. I dont think we should be tying ourselves down with a bunch of money beyond this year. The core guys are signed, that's the main thing.

Maybe you work an extension into one of PLD or Nylander when they get here.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
Alright here me out....

- Girard for Nylander

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Nylander - PLD - Nuke

I feel like this would be pretty close to an absolute best case scenario summer for the Avs. The one year left on both players makes me a little squeamish, but it might make them slightly more realistic to acquire.

I agree with those who are saying field the best possible team next year and worry about the Landy cap implications later though. I can't shake the feeling we are in for another summer of "tweaks" unfortunately though. If that's the route they go and we avoid the bigger names we really need to uncover some gems a la Toews, Nichuskin & Burakovsky.

Reactions: The Moops

Pierce Hawthorne

Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I feel like this would be pretty close to an absolute best case scenario summer for the Avs. The one year left on both players makes me a little squeamish, but it might make them slightly more realistic to acquire.

I agree with those who are saying field the best possible team next year and worry about the Landy cap implications later though. I can't shake the feeling we are in for another summer of "tweaks" unfortunately though. If that's the route they go and we avoid the bigger names we really need to uncover some gems a la Toews, Nichuskin & Burakovsky.

Yeah until CMac proves otherwise, this is unfortunately what we should expect.

Hopefully he smartens up though. Hopefully he saw his failures this year and will learn from them. We literally just needed to make one big move at the trade deadline and we're probably in the Conference finals again at the very least. We took Seattle to 7 games despite the ridiculously weak depth we had, and Seattle has subsequently taken Dallas to 7 games. The West was easily ours for the taking yet again if CMac had done anything worthwhile at the deadline.

This summer we know for a fact we've got the $7M from Landy to work with and we know 2C is a huge need... It also seems like a lot of teams are going to be active, there's going to be good players up for grabs, we need our GM to do his job.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Leafs want to be hard to play against in the playoffs. They don't want Girard.

They'd listen for sure if we offer Toews though.

The thing is we need a center. Nylander played center before but I don't think he can play 2C. Also he'll want a lot of money.

I don't care for him either. Same with Dubois. Both have proven to be divas who fold the very moment they face adversity or tough talk from their coach.

PLD is about as close as a perfect fit for the Avs 2C spot that you'll find. Age, size, plays a Bednar's style of hockey... name it. He's a much better fit in Colorado than in Montreal.

He isn't the first player who didn't want to commit long term to Winnipeg or Columbus but he's probably the first one who gets that much shit for it.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Girard for Nylander let it be said let it be done :sarcasm:

I know Nylander is better than Girard, but if the Leafs look to retool, maybe they take a G and a 1st, or 2nd.

Girard has more term than Nylander, which gives some extra value. Realistically though, they’d probably be looking for Byram.

The Leafs defence is pretty slow and plodding tbh, they could use someone who can add a little extra dynamic.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I know Nylander is better than Girard, but if the Leafs look to retool, maybe they take a G and a 1st, or 2nd.

Girard has more term than Nylander, which gives some extra value. Realistically though, they’d probably be looking for Byram.

The Leafs defence is pretty slow and plodding tbh, they could use someone who can add a little extra dynamic.
Leafs don't need Girard's contract.

G has value for a team that is having a hard time to sign/keep their players, so basically any unattractive market that needs a top 4 dman with term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad