Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Alright here me out....

- Girard for Nylander
- Newhook + '23 1st + Ranta for PLD

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Nylander - PLD - Nuke

With about $11M left in cap space to re-sign Byram and Meyers, fill out a 3rd line, and 3rd Defense pairing.

1684187796948.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the Avs pursuing Nylander that hard this off season, because he'll be a UFA in a year. Maybe if he had two years left.

Only guy that would make sense to trade for him is Toews, since he also is a year away from UFA. Seems doubtful they'd trade Girard and especially Byram for a one year rental who will be looking for a raise on his near $7M deal that they can't afford.

Also they'd be wasting their only high end assets on a winger, with a weak center market in UFA.

If they trade for Nylander, I think Toews goes the other way, and they sign a cheap center, or bring back Compher.

But I think Miller, PLD, Bennett, and Pinto will be their center trade targets instead, and probably involve Girard going the other way.

Then they'll look to fill out the wings in UFA. They've been successful at leveraging cheap deals on buy low wingers in recent years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Girard for Nylander is foolish lol. I mean yeah obviously we’d all like that but there’s zero chance Toronto does it. The Avs already embarrassed Dubas with the Kadri trade. Nylander is better than Kadri was at the time of the trade and Barrie was better than Girard is.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Girard for Nylander is foolish lol. I mean yeah obviously we’d all like that but there’s zero chance Toronto does it. The Avs already embarrassed Dubas with the Kadri trade. Nylander is better than Kadri was at the time of the trade and Barrie was better than Girard is.
Yeah, they need Toews. Which means they have to send Matthews to Arizona, so Arizona can send us Hayton and Crouse (2M retained). Dubas gets to keep Nylander. We don't have to ever worry about Toews burning us in the playoffs. Arizona starts their rise to compete with this year's draft haul and a new captain who happnes to be a a local boy. Everyone wins.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Alright here me out....

- Girard for Nylander
- Newhook + '23 1st + Ranta for PLD

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Nylander - PLD - Nuke

With about $11M left in cap space to re-sign Byram and Meyers, fill out a 3rd line, and 3rd Defense pairing.
Not horrible but if the Avs get either Nylander or PLD, a hedge like Backlund would be nice. Backlund is probably easier to keep if that’s something that’s wanted.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, they need Toews. Which means they have to send Matthews to Arizona, so Arizona can send us Hayton and Crouse (2M retained). Dubas gets to keep Nylander. We don't have to ever worry about Toews burning us in the playoffs. Arizona starts their rise to compete with this year's draft haul and a new captain who happnes to be a a local boy. Everyone wins.
IMO if Matthews goes to AZ then Crouse, Hayton and the 6 OA pick are part of the package going back to Toronto.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Leafs are much more likely to trade for players like Josh Anderson and Lawson Crouse than Girard and RNH. They want to change their DNA.

I would argue that they’ve tried to change their DNA the last two seasons to more of a tough slow group. It hasn’t worked.

Girard is not the kind of player they’ve been targeting the last couple years though, so it would require a change in philosophy.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's the superstar softies that don't produce. The sandpaper they brought in mostly did the job.

I think Matthews and Marner not producing when it matters is the big issue. That and I think they lack some mobility on the back-end.

Separately… the Avs need more skill up-front. Outside of MacKinnon and Rantanen, there’s really not much high-end skill in our forward group. Nylander would be an incredible add from that stand point.

Not saying they need to get him specifically, but I really hope they do add some skill to the forward group this off-season.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's defense in Toronto. It's always been defense. Just like it's been in Edmonton. Just like it was in Colorado.

Avs learned. Toronto and Edmonton did not.
Their defense was fine. Reilly was an absolute stud and played like a real #1 in those playoffs.

Their problem is Matthews, Marner and Tavares just aren't producing. When your best players aren't your best players you can't win, period. Leafs averaged 2 goals a game for the whole 2nd round. Tough to win when you only score 2 goals.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Their defense was fine. Reilly was an absolute stud and played like a real #1 in those playoffs.

Their problem is Matthews, Marner and Tavares just aren't producing. When your best players aren't your best players you can't win, period. Leafs averaged 2 goals a game for the whole 2nd round. Tough to win when you only score 2 goals.

Disagree. Toronto's D core is crap. They may not have been the problem in this particular series, but they have been in the past, and they weren't the solution in this one.

Rielly is too one dimensional, and outside of of him, the offense totally dropped off in the playoffs.

Rielly - 4 goals 12 points
Brodie - 0 goals 3 points
McCabe - 0 goals 2 points
Giordando - 0 goals 2 points
Gustaffson - 0 gaols 1 point
Holl - 0 goals 1 point
Schenn - 0 goals 1 point
Liljegren - 0 goals 0 points

They've got a terrible combination of guys that are too one dimensional offensively, and defensive guys that aren't good enough defensively. Very similar to the Avs in the Barrie era.

Pierce Hawthorne

Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Matthews and Marner not producing when it matters is the big issue. That and I think they lack some mobility on the back-end.

Separately… the Avs need more skill up-front. Outside of MacKinnon and Rantanen, there’s really not much high-end skill in our forward group. Nylander would be an incredible add from that stand point.

Not saying they need to get him specifically, but I really hope they do add some skill to the forward group this off-season.
Yeah the Leafs major issue is pretty clearly the forwards. The star players just disappear when things get difficult. Tavares is also clearly regressing pretty quickly.

The defense is pretty solid, and it doesn't need to be elite to win the cup. Maybe replacing McCabe with a better puck mover in the Top 4 and giving Liljegren proper minutes next year would help them.

I also still dont think they've found the solution in net either. Samsonov wasn't terrible but he got outplayed by Bobrovsky ultimately in the 2nd round.

I really do think the Leafs need to make a big shakeup with the forwards. Tavares, Marner, Matthews and Nylander. 1 of those guys needs to go and probably replaced with a two-way guy. I think the Avs two-way forwads is the big difference over the Leafs in the playoffs. That and despite how good Reilly was this year he's still nowhere near Makar level, but nobody is really.

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
A name I keep seeing as available is Ross Colton due to TBL's own cap crunch. In terms of re-establishing the depth at center, he'd be a great get if we could acquire a legit 2C as well.

What do you think it would take to pry him away from Tampa and could we squeeze his new contract in?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Matthews and Marner have been a problem in the past, but they were both ppg and ppg+ in the playoffs.

Your stars are going to get shut down occasionally. Happened to MacKinnon last year. Mikko also was pretty inconsistent.

The difference was the Avs had other guys step up last year, most notably their defense, who were good defensively, while still contributing offensively.

Makar - 8 goals 29 points
Toews - 5 goals 15 points
Byram - 0 goals 9 points
Manson - 3 goals 8 points
EJ - 1 goal 5 points
Girard* - 1 goal 3 points

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's defense in Toronto. It's always been defense. Just like it's been in Edmonton. Just like it was in Colorado.

You can't have a guy like Morgan Rielly or Darnell Nurse leading your team in ice time.

Avs learned. Toronto and Edmonton did not.
Huh? They gave up what 13 goals in 5 games(and 2 OT's) against Florida? That's not that problematic at all. The problem is their Mackinnon equivalent scoring 0 goals in a 5 game series and only scoring 10 goals in a 5 game series. The defense is fine.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Maybe, but even as a 1 year rental he would be a great target. And maybe you convince him in that year playing with a top contender and on a(hopefully) deep run he decides he wants to stay. Winnipeg fans seem to be pretty on board with a 1st + Newhook + prospect like Ranta package for him.

That just seems crazy cheap. Is he a UFA at the end of next season? Also he's playing center regularly now?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Matthews and Marner have been a problem in the past, but they were both ppg and ppg+ in the playoffs.

Your stars are going to get shut down occasionally. Happened to MacKinnon last year. Mikko also was pretty inconsistent.

The difference was the Avs had other guys step up last year, most notably their defense, who were good defensively, while still contributing offensively.

Makar - 8 goals 29 points
Toews - 5 goals 15 points
Byram - 0 goals 9 points
Manson - 3 goals 8 points
EJ - 1 goal 5 points
Girard* - 1 goal 3 points
Matthews and Marner were fine against a Lightning team who was chalk full on injuries especially on the backend. Matthews had what 0 goals and 2pts against the Panthers? What he did in round 1 matters a lot less when he's a literal non factor in round 2.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Leafs want to be hard to play against in the playoffs. They don't want Girard.

They'd listen for sure if we offer Toews though.

The thing is we need a center. Nylander played center before but I don't think he can play 2C. Also he'll want a lot of money.

PLD is about as close as a perfect fit for the Avs 2C spot that you'll find. Age, size, plays a Bednar's style of hockey... name it. He's a much better fit in Colorado than in Montreal.

He isn't the first player who didn't want to commit long term to Winnipeg or Columbus but he's probably the first one who gets that much shit for it.
If they could pull off both deals, I'd swap Toews for Girard and still make that deal.

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
A name I keep seeing as available is Ross Colton due to TBL's own cap crunch. In terms of re-establishing the depth at center, he'd be a great get if we could acquire a legit 2C as well.

What do you think it would take to pry him away from Tampa and could we squeeze his new contract in?
He's been on my mind as well. I think they slotted him more at wing last year, so I wonder if they'll let Killorn walk and aim to keep him longterm.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The Matthews scenario should be interesting. His NMC kicks in July 1. If he makes it past that date his leverage with Toronto is pretty nuts. Gotta feel like the decision with him is going to have to be made here soon.
I don't expect the leafs to make the right decision in this case because quite frankly, they just haven't made the right decision up until this point.

The correct and ONLY way to proceed is to negotiate an extension with Matthews right up to the draft. They'll probably have to pay him $13M x 8 years to keep him and that's IF he's willing to re-up for 8 years in Toronto. Otherwise, if he's not locked-up then they HAVE to trade him because there is a market out there that will massively overpay to get that guy to come 'home' AND they have high picks in this year's draft + a variety of young players and prospects. That's when the Leafs bite the bullet and take a big step backwards to be able to take a step forward. Otherwise, there is a big chance that Matthews pulls a Tavares next summer anyhow and they get nothing.

I'm expecting them to make the wrong choice and get screwed over.
Disagree. Toronto's D core is crap. They may not have been the problem in this particular series, but they have been in the past, and they weren't the solution in this one.

Rielly is too one dimensional, and outside of of him, the offense totally dropped off in the playoffs.

Rielly - 4 goals 12 points
Brodie - 0 goals 3 points
McCabe - 0 goals 2 points
Giordando - 0 goals 2 points
Gustaffson - 0 gaols 1 point
Holl - 0 goals 1 point
Schenn - 0 goals 1 point
Liljegren - 0 goals 0 points

They've got a terrible combination of guys that are too one dimensional offensively, and defensive guys that aren't good enough defensively. Very similar to the Avs in the Barrie era.
Yeah, for me it's about slotting and both Toronto and Edmonton are terrible at evaluating their own players and where they should slot in.

Toronto
#1 -
#2 - Rielly
#3 -
#4 - Brodie / McCabe
#5 - Holl
#6 - Giordano / Schenn

I've said it before but they needed to get someone to slot in beside Rielly that's a true top pairing instead of giving up a ton of assets for RoR, Lafferty, McCabe, etc. Instead they brought in McCabe who is in no way a top pair guy so they have another Brodie who is also playing too high in the lineup. Massive fail and poor evaluation of their own team. If you have 1 hole on the middle pair, you can probably get away with it even though it's not ideal but not two.

Edmonton
#1 -
#2 -
#3 -
#4 - Nurse / Ekholm / Bouchard
#5 - Kulak / Ceci /
#6 - Bromberg / Desharnais

I see the loilers defense this way and even though Ekholm seemed rejuvenated after the trade, that guy is at best a #4 and not trending upwards. Nurse gets paid a ton of money and might play a lot of minutes but he's SO bad defensively that I can't even honestly rate him any higher than a #4. I've always liked Bouchard and I think he gets there eventually but he's not there yet. You can't win with holes like that unless they are getting 10 powerplays per game AND their goaltending saves their bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad