Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I know Compher sucked in the playoffs, but if we were healthy and he had Nuke/Landy on his wings I think we would have been fine there. I honestly think their bigger issue was depth beyond the top 6.

Trust me, this isn’t me saying re-sign Compher. I just think we can all stop screaming about the 2C position a little less and worry about adding some actual NHL talent to our bottom 6. We need to find a 2C too, but he doesn’t have to be a star 2C. A Kevin Hayes with retention for example should be passable and fairly inexpensive to acquire. We need to make sure there’s 4 lines of Avs hockey rolling shift after shift though.

He had Nuke for 3 games and Rants stapled to him for half the games.

And had zero 5v5 points.

So yea…the #2C is still a huge hole.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I know Compher sucked in the playoffs, but if we were healthy and he had Nuke/Landy on his wings I think we would have been fine there. I honestly think their bigger issue was depth beyond the top 6.

Trust me, this isn’t me saying re-sign Compher. I just think we can all stop screaming about the 2C position a little less and worry about adding some actual NHL talent to our bottom 6. We need to find a 2C too, but he doesn’t have to be a star 2C. A Kevin Hayes with retention for example should be passable and fairly inexpensive to acquire. We need to make sure there’s 4 lines of Avs hockey rolling shift after shift though.
Even 3 would be a huge step up. I think a quasi 1C that Kadri played like is simply out of the cards. Avs can't afford that.

Even with say Hayes at $5m, salary will need to get cut or moved to fit 4 good lines. Maybe even 3. With Hayes at 5 and Byram at 4. You'd have roughly $5m for 5 spots. It is going to be to tough to get 3 3rd liners and 2 4th liners to work with LOC for that amount of cheddar. Not impossible... but guys like Haula are likely too rich for the Avs. Hell, 5 Helms would likely be too rich. Somethings have to give and some salary needs moved out. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Is Turcotte ready to play in the NHL as a 3C? Why hasn’t he worked out so far? Is it possible his draft season totals were just inflated from all the ridiculous talent around him on that development team?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Is Turcotte ready to play in the NHL as a 3C? Why hasn’t he worked out so far? Is it possible his draft season totals were just inflated from all the ridiculous talent around him on that development team?
He’s not ready… and he keeps getting injured. Anytime he seemingly gets close to settling in, he gets injured again. Pretty much has to show something next season in Ontario for there to be any really hope.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The Avs top 2 targets at 2C should be E. Lindholm (probably not realistic now that Sutter was fired), and Boone Jenner. Given there has been some smoke that CBus wants Hayes out of Philly, perhaps there is a 3-Team trade to be made with Philly/Cbus/Avs where Hayes ends up in CBus, Jenner in Colorado, and some combo of Girard/Toews + Newhook/pick ends up in Philly/CBus?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs top 2 targets at 2C should be E. Lindholm (probably not realistic now that Sutter was fired), and Boone Jenner. Given there has been some smoke that CBus wants Hayes out of Philly, perhaps there is a 3-Team trade to be made with Philly/Cbus/Avs where Hayes ends up in CBus, Jenner in Colorado, and some combo of Girard/Toews + Newhook/pick ends up in Philly/CBus?
You don't trade Toews for Jenner. You definitely do not add something to him

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If Florida is prioritizing Bennett over Lundell, it's win now mode. Newhook doesn't have that kind of value plus his progression timeline (or what is likely) doesn't fit win now.

It would be more like Toews for Lundell, one for one. And this makes sense for both sides.

Production wise he’s coming off a very similar year to Newhook, so if they want Toews they would have to add.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Dunno about 3C but he's definitely worth a shot at the right price.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
He is not.
Why? The guy was once viewed as a surefire 2C and possibly 1C potential. If he can get healthy and things click he has upside this is the type of buy low guy we should be looking at. I'm not saying depend on him next year in our lineup. This to me is just like Merkley but instead of his flaw being attitude it's health - not talent. He is also a center which we need everywhere in the organizational depth.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why? The guy was once viewed as a surefire 2C and possibly 1C potential. If he can get healthy and things click he has upside this is the type of buy low guy we should be looking at. I'm not saying depend on him next year in our lineup. This to me is just like Merkley but instead of his flaw being attitude it's health - not talent. He is also a center which we need everywhere in the organizational depth.

In the end it does not matter what is holding a guy back from being in the NHL, whether it's health or attitude or whatever, if they're not good enough, they're not good enough. He's not even putting up great numbers at the AHL level, in those games he manages to play. It's been three years and he's had barely a cup of coffee at the NHL level, and it ain't like there weren't opportunities to break through.

FTR I don't think he was ever "1C" material, and I quite liked him as a player from what I saw of his USHL days.

As for Merkley, I don't think it's just attitude holding him back.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Mittelstadt is intriguing because of his age.

At 24-years old that would solve the 2C spot moving forward, but that’s only if he can play like he did this season moving forward. It’s a gamble.

I think Lindholm is a sure fire guy that would make the Avs almost unstoppable tbh. The Flames never commit to a rebuild though and that’s what moving Lindholm would be.

I also don’t really see what they would want from Colorado. Maybe Byram? I don’t see any deal going through without him being involved.

I wonder if there’s any version of the draft order that would make Anaheim willing to move McTavish? That’s a guy I’d trade Byram for. He’s going to be a big time player. If Anaheim falls into another centre in the draft, maybe it makes sense for them too. They could certainly use another high-end defenceman. It would also allow them to reunite that Team Canada World Junior pair.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
You don't trade Toews for Jenner. You definitely do not add something to him
Normally, I would agree, but Toews has 1 year remaining on his deal while Jenner is signed for 3 more years at a very friendly $3.75M AAV. Not to mention that you're probably trading him to Philly in that deal and paying them to eat 50% of that Hayes contract.

I would think this would be fair:

To Colorado: Boone Jenner
To Columbus: Kevin Hayes (50% retained)
To Philly: Devon Toews + a pick/prospect

If the Flyers could get Toews to agree to an extension, perhaps you remove the + pick/prospect.

Reactions: Alienblood

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I wonder if the Sens would entertain moving Pinto for a defenseman. I know they didn't earlier in the season but now with Stutzle being a legit 1C and Norris coming back they are set at center for a long time.

I think Girard would help them but since they already have an undersized LHD in Brannstrom so that probably means that they aren't interested :(

Unless they move on from Brannstrom and believe that G can play on the right side...but that's a stretch.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I wonder if the Sens would entertain moving Pinto for a defenseman. I know they didn't earlier in the season but now with Stutzle being a legit 1C and Norris coming back they are set at center for a long time.

I think Girard would help them but since they already have an undersized LHD in Brannstrom so that probably means that they aren't interested :(

Unless they move on from Brannstrom and believe that G can play on the right side...but that's a stretch.
They would need a RD. They have a ton of LD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad