Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Seth Jones worst contract in the league.

1- S. Jones 9.5M X 7
2- Parayko 6.5M X 7
3- Huberdeau 10.5M X 8
4- Seguin 9.9M X 4
5- Vlasic 7M X 3
6- Schenn 6.5M X 5
7- Sanheim 6.3M X 8
8- R. Strome 5M X 4
9- Nurse 9.3M X 7
10- Backstrom 9.3M X 2

4 out of the top 6 in the Central. Love to see it.

Some brutal contracts on there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Better than Compher is all fine and dandy and good for Ryjo. But a guy who struggles to achieve a 45 point pace in 3 of 4 seasons and a guy who struggles to put up 40 actual points half the time due to health issues is a big question mark as a 2C.

And the track record of this team when it comes to evaluating the C position is a bit iffy.

I would disagree with the last part. The center depth issue has been blown out of proportion over the years IMO. In all but 3 out of the last 14 years they've had quite good center depth.

2009-2014 - Duchene-Stastny-ROR (MacKinnon mostly at RW)
2015-2015 - Duchene-MacKinnon-ROR-Soderberg
2016-2017 - MacKinnon-Duchene-Soderberg-Mitchell
2017-2018 - MacKinnon-Kerfoot-Soderberg*
2019-2021 - MacKinnon-Kadri-Compher
2022-2022 - MacKinnon-Compher-Eller*
2023-???? - MacKinnon-Johansen-Colton

*Poor center depth

They're actually quite good at identifying good centers that fit the team well. Just not 100% of the time which shouldn't be expected. Even Compher was a solid 3C, he just wasn't a 2C. Soderberg and Kerfoot were decent at 3C as well.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I would disagree with the last part. The center depth issue has been blown out of proportion over the years IMO. In all but 3 out of the last 14 years they've had quite good center depth.

2009-2014 - Duchene-Stastny-ROR (MacKinnon mostly at RW)
2015-2015 - Duchene-MacKinnon-ROR-Soderberg
2016-2017 - MacKinnon-Duchene-Soderberg-Mitchell
2017-2018 - MacKinnon-Kerfoot-Soderberg*
2019-2021 - MacKinnon-Kadri-Compher
2022-2022 - MacKinnon-Company in her-Eller*
2023-???? - MacKinnon-Johansen-Colton

*Poor center depth

They're actually quite good at identifying good centers that fit the team well. Just not 100% of the time which shouldn't be expected. Even Compher was a solid 3C, he just wasn't a 2C. Soderberg and Kerfoot were decent at 3C as well.
I don't disagree with that. But I don't think the duchene ROR years are relevant to the current management's ability to judge the C position.

Sakic's record once Roy left and where the window really opened post Duchene trade that C depth doesn't look as good for the prime contending years. 3 good years with Kadri (and Kadri got himself suspended one of those years).

It feels like there were two years the team could have done some damage but in 2018 and 2023 they misjudged how good the kids would be in filling the 2C/3C roles.

To be fair the one time Sakic did specifically acquire an undervalued legit C via trade it worked out well. So perhaps Ryjo works out too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't disagree with that. But I don't think the duchene ROR years are relevant to the current management's ability to judge the C position.

Sakic's record once Roy left and where the window really opened post Duchene trade that C depth doesn't look as good for the prime contending years. 3 good years with Kadri (and Kadri got himself suspended one of those years).

It feels like there were two years the team could have done some damage but in 2018 and 2023 they misjudged how good the kids would be in filling the 2C/3C roles.

To be fair the one time Sakic did specifically acquire an undervalued legit C via trade it worked out well. So perhaps Ryjo works out too.

I think those years are relevant mostly in the sense that the talk around this issue has been that they suck at finding centers, and don't appreciate the importance of center depth. Implying it's been going on a while. So the fact they've been quite good the last 14 years disproves this.

Also Sakic was in the front office starting in 2011-12 and they've had a lot of the same pro scouts the whole time. A lot of the same amateur scouts too up until recently.

A lot of the main philosophies this team has have been in place since PL's days too. They emphasize a lot of the same things and have kept the same (for the most part) playing style.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Can’t believe Tatar isn’t an Av yet. About to join the people hating on CMac.

Get it done already. It’s almost August!
I'm still a bit amazed that Tank is left without a chair too.

I think he views himself as a core piece rather than top-tier complimentary piece and probably over-estimated his worth to GMs, especially in a flat cap situation.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I think he views himself as a core piece rather than top-tier complimentary piece and probably over-estimated his worth to GMs, especially in a flat cap situation.
He has a huge ego and probably thought he'd be offered like 7M X 5 or something...while the offers on the table are like 5M X 1 or 4M X 2.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Happens every year with one or two guys.

The Avs are actually quite good at taking advantage of this with buy low late seasons signing, when all the other teams have allocated all their cap space.

Not sure they'll do that this year though. I think they know they have an issue with injuries on this team and might want to leave their remaining $2M in LTIR space for injury callups.

They also know they'll have Kovalenko as an option later and might get Landy back for the playoffs.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The Ducks honestly need to go back to the Mighty Ducks branding. It was infinitely better than what they went to after Disney sold them and they became the Anaheim Ducks.
Considering the type of people who post in this forum this is utter and total heresy. To Ducks fans, and I know a few die-hards, the Mighty Ducks was everything that was wrong with the team. The moment they got rid of Disney they got a serious owner who said lets go all-in on talent and put together a dominant team that won a Cup under the new name and logo. Absolute vindication for the true fans who hated Disney owning the team.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Considering the type of people who post in this forum this is utter and total heresy. To Ducks fans, and I know a few die-hards, the Mighty Ducks was everything that was wrong with the team. The moment they got rid of Disney they got a serious owner who said lets go all-in on talent and put together a dominant team that won a Cup under the new name and logo. Absolute vindication for the true fans who hated Disney owning the team.

Yeah the Disney era Mighty Ducks for me was just too associated with everything that goes with a movie marketed to kids.

They relied on the movie and used a lot of the same marketing and themes to help gain recognition as an expansion team.

The movie was fine like that because it's a movie, but a professional sports team at the highest level of hockey marketing themselves that way just felt kinda silly and often lame IMO.

I never took them seriously until after they changed their name and marketing strategy during the Niedermayer/Pronger years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad