Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I put Bergeron in this category.

Look, MacKinnon went for the max money. Makar went for the max money. Landeskog went for the max money. It may take time (like it did with Landeskog), but if the player wants to stay they usually budge in the end. Rantanen wasn't really anything special in this regard. Training camp means absolutely f***ing nothing for established roster players.

Nylander was a very special case.
Bergeron took less in 06 so the Bruins could get Chara. Marchand has stated very bluntly that it was all around the core in his tenure there (Pasta changing that though). Point stated he took less on a long-term deal and will continue to so he can stay in Tampa. There are many players who do not maximize their salaries at all costs. Rantanen has shown that he cares to maximize his money.

FTR I have no issue with Rants going down that path. His life and careers are short. Just saying the evidence is that he will try to maximize his earnings. At most we are looking at say a 500k discount per year. Maybe instead of 13.75, he takes 13.25. He's not gonna take millions per less.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Bergeron took less in 06 so the Bruins could get Chara. Marchand has stated very bluntly that it was all around the core in his tenure there (Pasta changing that though). Point stated he took less on a long-term deal and will continue to so he can stay in Tampa. There are many players who do not maximize their salaries at all costs. Rantanen has shown that he cares to maximize his money.

FTR I have no issue with Rants going down that path. His life and careers are short. Just saying the evidence is that he will try to maximize his earnings. At most we are looking at say a 500k discount per year. Maybe instead of 13.75, he takes 13.25. He's not gonna take millions per less.
We're going around circles, not really disagreeing that much TBH. :)

I still think he'll take less than MacK, unless something drastic changes (unexpectedly big contract for Marner, salary cap increasing more than what has been predicted etc).

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, Rants got himself PAID as an RFA. Now whether or not that means he wants to get PAID over continuing to be an Av remains to be seen. He's obviously worth a LOT of dough. But he's also a winger and as of yet has not played a complete season away from our #1 C. If he's on the second line and dominates again this season, then I have no problems opening up the Brinks truck...but if he's getting paid 13M+ he really should be driving his own damn line.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Pittsburgh are 2007 Avs at this point. desperately clinging to their aging core, even though the writing is on the wall.

i dont blame them. I remember being so happy back then, when we traded to get Footer back alongside Forsberg returning, hoping for last one hurrah - it felt so right.

That is one of the seasons I most vividly remember.

Lots of buzz around them after signing Hannan and Smyth, only to be followed by one of the more injury plagued seasons in Avs history. Added Foote, Forsberg, and Salei at the deadline and felt like they might do some damage after upsetting Minnesota... until the bottom really fell out with injuries.

The playoff lines, as I remember them, were...

Wolski - Sakic - Brunette
Forsberg - Stastny - Hejduk
Smyth - Arnason - Jones
McLeod - Guite - Laperriere
IR: Svatos

Liles - Hannan
Sauer - Foote
Salei - Leopold
Finger :leafs
IR: Clark

Theodore
Budaj

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
but if he's getting paid 13M+ he really should be driving his own damn line.
I mean hasn't this been established long ago? Every time MacKinnon is out etc? He can and will drive his line. I think he has shown enough in that regard. Bednar just likes to play him with MacKinnon because why the f*** not? One of the best duos in the league. It's like McDrai in a sense except Rantanen is a winger and Draisaitl is a center. Both of them are pretty damn good line drivers by themselves, but coaches love to play them with MacKinnon/McDavid because that usually becomes quite unstoppable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't personally be worried at all about Mikko's performance in the first part of the contract. He'll essentially be 29 and 30 for the first couple seasons and his production will likely regress from last year, but probably more to the PPG/PPG+ level. He's going to be worth whatever the contract ends up being. He's just gonna take up nearly the whole cap increase that first year.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Look, MacKinnon went for the max money. Makar went for the max money. Landeskog went for the max money. It may take time (like it did with Landeskog), but if the player wants to stay they usually budge in the end. Rantanen wasn't really anything special in this regard. Training camp means absolutely f***ing nothing for established roster players.
Many people here don't want to believe it but that's 100% true. Everyone got paid at full value and no one took a discount on that team. Latest examples are Wood and Colton.

Guys like Nuke and Landy went for a little lower AAV in exchange for that 8th year...but in the end they knew it wouldn't change much of their career earnings, if anything at all.

Everyone is in awe in front of Makar's contract but what they don't understand is that he's getting paid that much almost exclusively for his RFA years unlike Fox, McAvoy, Heiskanen, Josi, Nurse, Jones, Werenski...and every other highly paid dman. Makar will make a lot more money than these players.

He's making 9M during the bargain, team controlled, years.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That had to be one of the worst skating lines in the history of the league.
Funny enough, that line absolutely dominated the Wild in the 2008 series. No clue how, but shit just clicked.

The Avs obviously were never beating Detroit that year but man if they were actually healthy it would have been one hell of a series. I remember games 1 and 3 being incredibly competitive despite the Avs icing half an AHL squad.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, Rants got himself PAID as an RFA. Now whether or not that means he wants to get PAID over continuing to be an Av remains to be seen. He's obviously worth a LOT of dough. But he's also a winger and as of yet has not played a complete season away from our #1 C. If he's on the second line and dominates again this season, then I have no problems opening up the Brinks truck...but if he's getting paid 13M+ he really should be driving his own damn line.

Is this still even a conversation?

Rantanen played a ton of minutes with not just a 2C, but a 3C last season and still dropped 55 goals.

Dude had 42 even strength goals. Take out MacKinnon and that’s 32% of the even strength goals for the team.

Mikko is his own special talent and I think we’ve clearly seen he can elevate when MacK is out of the lineup.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Is this still even a conversation?

Rantanen played a ton of minutes with not just a 2C, but a 3C last season and still dropped 55 goals.

Dude had 42 even strength goals. Take out MacKinnon and that’s 32% of the even strength goals for the team.

Mikko is his own special talent and I think we’ve clearly seen he can elevate when MacK is out of the lineup.

Yeah I think Mikko can absolutely run his own line at this point, regardless of whether it's at Center or Wing.

That's also why I especially hope that's the plan this year, to keep him and Mack split up at even strength. It makes us so much more dangerous as a team, and harder for coaches to line match against us.

I also just think RyJo's game was designed for Rantanen quite frankly. If Johansen shows up with a chip on his shoulder and with something to prove, I think he and Mikko could absolutely dominate this year. Throw one of the forechecking wizards on a line with them to free up extra space for those two to create offense and things will click.

Then you kind of hope the same thing happens with Drouin and Mack.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mikko would be an all star level centre but I still think he’s better as a winger so that’s where I want him. I want to put players in position where they can excel to the best of their abilities.

This is the same reason I hate the idea of Colton as our 3C. It’s not that I don’t think he can be a 3C. In fact I think he can be pretty damn good at it. What frustrates me though is that it will prevent him spending time doing the things that make him him (dominating the walls).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who is filling the biggest hole, in your fantasy? Who is the Landy replacement? The year we won the Cup Landy dropped 30 goals and basically 60 pts. Where's that coming from this year?

Drouin is not Bura, not even close. Guy had 2 lousy goals last year and has never broken 20 in a season.

RyJo had a major injury last year, who knows how he'll play. On paper better than Compher, but will he give us more than 52 pts that JTC produced last season?

Wood and Colton are nice adds, but overall the bottom 6 is weak. Easily bottom 10 in the league. LOC is ok in a 4th line role, Cogs is old and coming off a broken neck, Meyers and Olaffson suck.

Defense and goaltending is fine. Hoping Malinski can run with an opportunity.

LOL the biggest hole in the lineup, as I'm sure you agreed before the Johansen trade, was 2C. Saying it's Landy just sounds like a way to shift goal posts and avoid giving credit to CMac for addressing the 2C role.

All I gather from this is that the reason you're so upset is that they weren't able to build the exact same team as the once in a generation Cup team that steamrolled through everyone. That shouldn't be the expectation every year.

They replaced a lot of the roles you and others were upset they didn't replace last year with good players, but apparently they still did a shitty job because they left a question mark at 4C or 3RW that they have plenty of time to fill if they need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad