Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Rants got strong armed last time. Held out as long as he could without going into the regular season. The Avs don't have that leverage this time around. Many teams will line up to offer him over 13m on July 1, 2025.
Well obviously this all depends on the question if Mikko wants to sign here long term. If he does, I don't think he really has that much leverage. The team could and should say to him that this is what we can offer, it's not as much as you can get as a free agent but this is what fits our structure.

If he's willing to go somewhere else or wants the biggest contract, then there's not much you can do. Bye bye if you want more than 13.5

Reactions: Alienblood

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If Rantanen puts up two more seasons at 40+g/100pt paces (not to mention >50g), then his market rate will certainly be north Mack's current salary. We don't have to like it, but that's the way things are trending.
If by this you mean what he would get as a UFA then absolutely, not disagreeing there. But it shouldn't be more than MacKinnon on this team. Yes, the deal will be signed 2 years later than MacK. Yes, the salary cap has increased. But I also think the perceived value inside (and TBH outside) of the team still lands him bellow MacKinnon. Or identical. But not above. MacKinnon is still playing the premiere position, and while their production is similar MacKinnon is still seen as the superior player.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Wait and see worked so well last year.... do you honestly believe CMac is capable of early to mid season adjustments after watching last year's complete shit show collection of castaways and wire pickups that did nothing of value.

Also don't understand the mentality of not at least attempting to create a strong base from the get go. This isn't pushing all your chips in, just giving yourself a strong starting point so big changes aren't needed.

I'm not asking for a roster blowup just some minor upgrades over Meyers and Olaffson in the bottom 6. With guys that have proven track records of NHL success. So there are less holes. Plus these bottom 6ers aren't getting huge deals, which means there isn't any risk. They suck you bury them and move on next year.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. That's my point about extremes.
The bold part is quite surprising, given your string of comments...

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
If by this you mean what he would get as a UFA then absolutely, not disagreeing there. But it shouldn't be more than MacKinnon on this team. Yes, the deal will be signed 2 years later than MacK. Yes, the salary cap has increased. But I also think the perceived value inside (and TBH outside) of the team still lands him bellow MacKinnon. Or identical. But not above. MacKinnon is still playing the premiere position, and while their production is similar MacKinnon is still seen as the superior player.
I'd be over the moon if that posture worked, but if Mikko's camp accepted that logic, he wouldn't have signed his current deal for ~$3m more than Mackinnon's deal at that time. If Cmac takes that tact, Rantanen's gone.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'd be over the moon if that posture worked, but if Mikko's camp accepted that logic, he wouldn't have signed his current deal for ~$3m more than Mackinnon's deal at that time. If Cmac takes that tact, Rantanen's gone.
Not comparable. Rantanen was an established 30 goal scorer, +PPG winger when he signed that deal. MacKinnon was far from that, he didn't break out as a superstar (or even a star) during his ELC. He was more like 2nd line C when signing his 2nd contract.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It Rants didn’t try to squeeze out as much money as possible, he wouldn’t have pushed his negotiations nearly to October. He’s gonna push for as much cash as he can. I’m sure there is some incentive to stay with the Avs, but just having MacK’s contract as the cap will have Mikko walking.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It Rants didn’t try to squeeze out as much money as possible, he wouldn’t have pushed his negotiations nearly to October. He’s gonna push for as much cash as he can. I’m sure there is some incentive to stay with the Avs, but just having MacK’s contract as the cap will have Mikko walking.
Every player/agent is pushing for as much money as he can. Yet it can still be considered a hometown discount. See MacKinnon, who incidently also signed few days before training camp.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Every player/agent is pushing for as much money as he can. Yet it can still be considered a hometown discount. See MacKinnon, who incidently also signed few days before training camp.
*a season prior to his deal ending ;)

MacK has never been a difficult negotiator. Yet he still is the highest paid player for a season. He might have given a half mil discount. Rants will probably be the same, just that the market moved up.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
*a season prior to his deal ending ;)

MacK has never been a difficult negotiator. Yet he still is the highest paid player for a season. He might have given a half mil discount. Rants will probably be the same, just that the market moved up.
UFA vs RFA, usually RFA's don't negotiate that much beforehand.

Look, I personally think Rantanen probably deserves to be paid more because I think he's every bit as good as MacKinnon and to me centers are a hoax. They are overrated AF. Most of the top-tier centers don't play great defence (despite the fans of the team saying otherwise), and faceoffs statistically don't matter shit. Rantanen is a linedriver, he's the engine on his line (unless you put him with say MacKinnon where he will take that support role).

But unfortunately, the fans, the media, the players, the executives, the scouts... All of them still view centers as vastly more important than wingers. So I think that's the argument the Avs FO should use in saying that "MacKinnon is better than you, so because of the cap going up your number goes up but still not above MacK".

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
UFA vs RFA, usually RFA's don't negotiate that much beforehand.
I’m just saying signing 12 months before you start that contract on the ice is very much different than 12 days.

MacK’s RFA contract was July IIRC. MacK has handled contracts very easily thus far. Mikko is a sample of 1, but wasn’t easy for sure.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I’m just saying signing 12 months before you start that contract on the ice is very much different than 12 days.

MacK’s RFA contract was July IIRC. MacK has handled contracts very easily thus far. Mikko is a sample of 1, but wasn’t easy for sure.
I think it was more about the market itself that dictated how long the negotiations with Mikko went. Mikko, Marner, Point, Tkachuk... All of them were RFAs in the summer of 2019, and all signed deals in September. It was a game of musical chairs (except the other way around I guess?) where agents were watching who goes first and wanted comparables.

Reactions: Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think it was more about the market itself that dictated how long the negotiations with Mikko went. Mikko, Marner, Point, Tkachuk... All of them were RFAs in the summer of 2019, and all signed deals in September. It was a game of musical chairs (except the other way around I guess?) where agents were watching who goes first and wanted comparables.
Cheese signed in July and Mikko was the very last to sign (IIRC Connor was hours before, but could be wrong here). IMO you're giving him way too much benefit of doubt there. Marner was two weeks before. Cheese was months. Point was forced into a bridge and signed before. Rants wasn't in camp on time and was holding out to get that contract.

Edit: I'm wrong on Cheese. He was Sept, days before Mikko.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Any way the Avs could make the salary work in an Anthony Mantha trade with the caps? He’d be such a good bet, especially if they could sign him on a decent 2-year deal as part of the deal.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Cheese signed in July and Mikko was the very last to sign (IIRC Connor was hours before, but could be wrong here). IMO you're giving him way too much benefit of doubt there. Marner was two weeks before. Cheese was months. Point was forced into a bridge and signed before. Rants wasn't in camp on time and was holding out to get that contract.

Edit: I'm wrong on Cheese. He was Sept, days before Mikko.
All of these high profile RFAs held out 'till September, and signed within days of each other except Marner 15 days before, which is nothing in this context. It wasn't just Mikko and his agent "holding out", there was no established market yet and it took until September to get it going when Marner signed. It's quite obvious that Liut then wanted to use Marner as a comparable, but Sakic didn't budge and they took the offer a bit into training camp.

I don't think there will be this issue come next summer.

Reactions: Chiarelli

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Any way the Avs could make the salary work in an Anthony Mantha trade with the caps? He’d be such a good bet, especially if they could sign him on a decent 2-year deal as part of the deal.

Assuming Mantha was free (i.e. Johansen, Hayes)...

It would require Washington eating 50%, Colorado going into the year with only 18 skaters (demoting Meyers and Olofsson), and MacDermid as an everyday player.

I don't think it's feasible.

Reactions: AvsCOL

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
All of these high profile RFAs held out 'till September, and signed within days of each other except Marner 15 days before, which is nothing in this context. It wasn't just Mikko and his agent "holding out", there was no established market yet and it took until September to get it going when Marner signed. It's quite obvious that Liut then wanted to use Marner as a comparable, but Sakic didn't budge and they took the offer a bit into training camp.

I don't think there will be this issue come next summer.
It is clear that Rants still tried to maximize every dollar he could get. Why would it be different on the next go round?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It is clear that Rants still tried to maximize every dollar he could get. Why would it be different on the next go round?
Please give me an example of a player (or rather an agent) who didn't try to maximize every dollar he could get? Not talking about veterans signing for cheap, but actual good players.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Please give me an example of a player (or rather an agent) who didn't try to maximize every dollar he could get? Not talking about veterans signing for cheap, but actual good players.
PFDFQRXGGFZMDMKTHNN22BWG3U.jpg

(There are many examples of it. Even Eichel's agent came out after his deal and stated it was against his advice and a discount)

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Mikko played his best hockey in the fall of 2018. Dude was Jagr lite out there, scoring at an absurd rate.
I think he played his best hockey early in this past season, when he carried the team in MacKinnon’s (and everyone else’s) absence.

Reactions: shadow1

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
(There are many examples of it. Even Eichel's agent came out after his deal and stated it was against his advice and a discount)
Not talking about veterans signing for cheap, but actual good players.
I put Bergeron in this category.

Look, MacKinnon went for the max money. Makar went for the max money. Landeskog went for the max money. It may take time (like it did with Landeskog), but if the player wants to stay they usually budge in the end. Rantanen wasn't really anything special in this regard. Training camp means absolutely f***ing nothing for established roster players.

Nylander was a very special case.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Pittsburgh are 2007 Avs at this point. desperately clinging to their aging core, even though the writing is on the wall.

i dont blame them. I remember being so happy back then, when we traded to get Footer back alongside Forsberg returning, hoping for last one hurrah - it felt so right.
Oh, man. I may need a few therapy sessions.

I was on here, screaming at the top of my lungs for a full on rebuild. Foote v2, Forsberg v2……ugh.

• Haha
Reactions: shadow1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad