Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Yea, this isn't NHL23 where you can just scam other GMs with bad trades repeatedly until you get the roster you want. Players that we really, really want are also valued very, very highly.

So you're telling me that my go-to trade tactic from NHL2001 where you first trade your 78 overall player for 80 overall, then to 82, then to 84 etc. doesn't work?!?

Reactions: missionAvs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In all seriousness if only he could convince Mikko to f***ing play Center all our issues would be solved.
I think it's on Bednar. Mikko has stated multiple times for the Finnish media, that he would happily play any position the coach wants him to. Said this for the World Championsips this year also, if coach Jalonen wants to play him at center he's fine with that and thinks he can do that job.

Now it could be that behind the scenes Mikko has said that he would only play center in an emergency, and rather stick to the right side. But I think it's just Bednar being stubborn with having him on the wing, just like he was stubborn forcing JTC to that #2C spot.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
So you're telling me that my go-to trade tactic from NHL2001 where you first trade your 78 overall player for 80 overall, then to 82, then to 84 etc. doesn't work?!?
Rookie mistake. The tactic in NHL 2001 was create a player called Peter Forsberg, trade him, then delete him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think it's on Bednar. Mikko has stated multiple times for the Finnish media, that he would happily play any position the coach wants him to. Said this for the World Championsips this year also, if coach Jalonen wants to play him at center he's fine with that and thinks he can do that job.

Now it could be that behind the scenes Mikko has said that he would only play center in an emergency, and rather stick to the right side. But I think it's just Bednar being stubborn with having him on the wing, just like he was stubborn forcing JTC to that #2C spot.
Who knows, but I definitely think it's this. I think Bednar would love to use him as a full time Center. He recognizes how important the position is and Mikko actually plays extremely well when he's at Center, much more engaged defensively.

I think Mikko is fine with playing it on a short term emergency basis but I don't think he wants to play it full time.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yea, this isn't NHL23 where you can just scam other GMs with bad trades repeatedly until you get the roster you want. Players that we really, really want are also valued very, very highly.
Obviously this isn't a video game, but there are/were plenty of reasonable bottom 6 UFAs that could have helped on super cheap deals.

People around here act like we are so cash poor we can't make slight adds, it simply isn't the case.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

won't post , just Nate and Crosby in Inverness Cape Breton

CFBM - Cape Breton's Favourite Radio Station page on facebook

no biggie but the boys must be vacationing at Nate new digs

thinking of of heading up that way next weekend for the holiday.

see if I can hit some.pics of Nate's new pad

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

I honestly don’t understand why you would even want him at centre. Here’s a 50 goals 100 points winger, let’s turn him into a medicore 2C. Great logic. Nothing he’a done at Centre even suggest he’d be good there.

People think he’s going to turn into Barkov if we move him to Centre or something?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I honestly don’t understand why you would even want him at centre. Here’s a 50 goals 100 points winger, let’s turn him into a medicore 2C. Great logic. Nothing he’a done at Centre even suggest he’d be good there.

People think he’s going to turn into Barkov if we move him to Centre or something?

The best stretch of hockey he played in his entire career came at Center :laugh:

I'm also quite interested in how you managed to come up with the leap of him going from a 100 point winger to a mediocre 2C exactly.... Is Draisaitl just a mediocre 2C?

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
If that doesn’t work try the SuperNes NHL 1995 2 for 1 special (an 80 and 82 for an 85 etc…):sarcasm:

1689865926926.jpeg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I highly doubt that Mikko would just be a 'mediocre' 2nd line center. Based on his results playing there, odds are he'd be closer to a PPG, maybe 85-90 point center. He's played quite well there when given more than a few games... there is just a massive resistance to it for some reason.

I also think the framing of Mikko as a 50g 100p winger is a tad off. Last season could just have been his career season. Beyond that, his peak is 92 points and 36 goals. He's a PPG+ winger typically.

Reactions: AvStock

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Obviously this isn't a video game, but there are/were plenty of reasonable bottom 6 UFAs that could have helped on super cheap deals.

People around here act like we are so cash poor we can't make slight adds, it simply isn't the case.

You do understand that those players would have to sign with the Avs, for your preferred dollar amount and move their whole life to Denver?

It's not a video game and it's not always as simple as you make it sound, there are a lot of factors.

Always shitting on the management. These guys got us a Cup which is super rare and they really got creative this summer. Guess you'd do better job convincing depth guys signing here for pennies than our management.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
On the bottom 6 guys... I understand the desire for them, but those players are not going to be the difference makers. What RyJo and Colton do will drive the success (or lack of) for the season. To a lower extent, Wood as well. Picking up a Nosek isn't going to change much... and the Avs are likely going to add at the deadline to round out their bottom 6 anyway.

That said, I expect one signing and one trade prior to the season. Tatar and Lyubushkin are my calls (not who I'd pick, just what I think the Avs will do).

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I highly doubt that Mikko would just be a 'mediocre' 2nd line center. Based on his results playing there, odds are he'd be closer to a PPG, maybe 85-90 point center. He's played quite well there when given more than a few games... there is just a massive resistance to it for some reason.

I also think the framing of Mikko as a 50g 100p winger is a tad off. Last season could just have been his career season. Beyond that, his peak is 92 points and 36 goals. He's a PPG+ winger typically.
In your opinion, where does the resistance to Mikko being a C come from, or where is it likely the highest? From the Avs themselves or Mikko?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In your opinion, where does the resistance to Mikko being a C come from, or where is it likely the highest? From the Avs themselves or Mikko?
I don't really know... Mikko does somethings that would drive coaches nuts at center, plus he scores goals from the wing at a high rate... and he's actually out there to score goals. From the Mikko side, he's kinda lazy and his biggest strength is on the wall, so he probably prefers to play those areas of the ice.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The best stretch of hockey he played in his entire career came at Center :laugh:

I'm also quite interested in how you managed to come up with the leap of him going from a 100 point winger to a mediocre 2C exactly.... Is Draisaitl just a mediocre 2C?
I'm curious when his best stretch of hockey at centre was? Maybe we're watching a different game because he never looked comfortable at centre.

Draisaitl is a natural centre, you really think Rantanen would turn into Draisaitl at centre?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I know at some point MacFarland will need to sign a couple of these guys, but I still count 42(!) UFAs that played at least 50 games last year.

Last year after July 20th, even though Free Agency began late on July 13th, only (16) one-way contracts were signed. Things are going at a slower pace this off-season.

Reactions: Bender

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm curious when his best stretch of hockey at centre was? Maybe we're watching a different game because he never looked comfortable at centre.

Draisaitl is a natural centre, you really think Rantanen would turn into Draisaitl at centre?
Mikko played center most of December last year while MacK was out and he has something like 10 goals during that stretch.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That said, I expect one signing and one trade prior to the season. Tatar and Lyubushkin are my calls (not who I'd pick, just what I think the Avs will do).
We don't have the cap space for Tatar, unless your trade includes Girard...in that case we need an additional dman on top of Lyubushkin.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

So was Rantanen...

Quite frankly he's looked good every time he plays Center. But in particular December this past season while Mackinnom was hurt. He scored 10G in 12 games and had a ridiculous 62 shots in that stretch. It was also the best period of hockey in his career from a defensive standpoint, and this has something that carries over to all the either times he plays Center. He becomes significantly more involved in the game on the defensive side when he's at Center.

No, not Barkov levels. But pretty solid.

Personally, I would take an 80 point Center over a 90 point winger 10/10 times. Wingers are so much less impactful on the game then a good Center.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad