Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.22.2024)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yucky. Was hoping he was going to keep 14 but someone already has that and it looks like they don't allow high numbers (he has the highest at 34).

Numbers worn by Gabriel Perreault:

4: US NTDP (2022-23), USA u18
14: WJSS
44: Chicago Mission u14, u15
49: US NTDP (2021-22), USA u17, USA u18
94: Chicago Mission u13

It's not like he spent a lot of time with no 14. Only four games in total.

Reactions: egelband

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

I know, but I like 14 the best ;)

But we can at least see he definitely likes the number 4 haha.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Will Smith with no 2 as a center would be great to see in the NHL. He wears it because he likes Brian Leetch, who retired before he could walk, which is funny haha.

I wonder why Smith played forward over defenseman if he was a fan of Leetch

His dad wore 44 and 94 primarily so maybe it's something in their family.

No way the Rangers are letting another player wear 94. RIP Boogaard

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I wonder why Smith played forward over defenseman if he was a fan of Leetch

No way the Rangers are letting another player wear 94. RIP Boogaard
My brother loved Leetch. Wore 2 the whole time he played and he played center. I loved Nedved and wore 94 cause the Cup and Nedved (he wore 93 but it is still a high 90s number) and I played defense. We got it backwards. Haha

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My brother loved Leetch. Wore 2 the whole time he played and he played center. I loved Nedved and wore 94 cause the Cup and Nedved (he wore 93 but it is still a high 90s number) and I played defense. We got it backwards. Haha

I always love hearing the stories behind jersey numbers. There are some real touching reasons players use to pick a number.

Jágr's 68 is to honour the bravery of the Czechoslovaks during the Prague Spring where they rebelled against the Soviet Union.

Nedvěd's 93 refers to the year he was granted Canadian citizenship, 5 years after defecting from Czechoslovakia during a junior tournament in, if I remember correctly, Calgary where he climbed out of his hotel room window, jumped in the trunk of a car and was transported across the border and ended up in Seattle.

Chmelař picked 42 to honour his grandpa who was a big part of his childhood and his biggest role model. Simple, still touching. His grandpa was born in 1942.

Chytil wears 72 to honour his father who was born in 1972.

Othmann's number 78 was picked because he was not allowed in his peewee league to use number 87. They had a rule against the use of jersey numbers of great players (No 88, no 87, no 66, no 99 etc). He swapped the digits, and ended up with 78.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I always love hearing the stories behind jersey numbers. There are some real touching reasons players use to pick a number.

Jágr's 68 is to honour the bravery of the Czechoslovaks during the Prague Spring where they rebelled against the Soviet Union.

Nedvěd's 93 refers to the year he was granted Canadian citizenship, 5 years after defecting from Czechoslovakia during a junior tournament in, if I remember correctly, Calgary where he climbed out of his hotel room window, jumped in the trunk of a car and was transported across the border and ended up in Seattle.

Chmelař picked 42 to honour his grandpa who was a big part of his childhood and his biggest role model. Simple, still touching. His grandpa was born in 1942.

Othmann's number 78 was picked because he was not allowed in his peewee league to use number 87. They had a rule against the use of jersey numbers of great players (No 88, no 87, no 66, no 99 etc). He swapped the digits, and ended up with 78.
I remember reading that Nedved story a long time ago. He was 16 or just turned 17 if memory serves. Absolutely crazy. I still tuck my jersey cause of him. Nothing ever really matches the favorite players you had as a kid. Haha

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

I love these stories too. When I joined my first hockey team as a kid and got to choose from the remaining numbers I chose 8 over 7 because the Rangers had retired Rod Gilbert’s 7 and I didn’t want to take that number out of respect. It’s completely absurd in retrospect because 7 is a fantastic hockey number and for some odd reason the actual Rangers never acknowledged my sacrifice…

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Chris Peters report on US WJC games and likely team as of the summer:

Fortescue: likely in top six. Both defensively responsible. Not much by way of offense, but can play in in a variety of situations. Is one of the bigger defensemen overall.

Perrault: on the bubble because of depth at forward position. Other wings with scoring ability and some other wings who do more off the puck.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Chris Peters report on US WJC games and likely team as of the summer:

Fortescue: likely in top six. Both defensively responsible. Not much by way of offense, but can play in in a variety of situations. Is one of the bigger defensemen overall.

Perrault: on the bubble because of depth at forward position. Other wings with scoring ability and some other wings who do more off the puck.
There is an interesting contrast between Peters having Fortescue on the US WJC team, his head coach / the Rangers trading up to take him in the third, and this board not having him as one of our top 13 prospects.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
There is an interesting contrast between Peters having Fortescue on the US WJC team, his head coach / the Rangers trading up to take him in the third, and this board not having him as one of our top 13 prospects.
The rankings here are extremely subjective. Not throwing stones, but 99% of the voting, mine included, are based on patchy info: certain games, isolated highlights, stats, and 2nd/3rd hand reports, filtered thru our biases and hopes.
That's how guys like Scanlin and Rempe get support for top 20 spots over guys who"ve been more respected prospects for way longer

And how a Barbashev gets so much support, over a Korczak, despite RK having both more productive RS and PS stats, in a deeper league, while playing C compared to MB at W.
RK's early struggles at 19 in AHL, MB's size and genes, or other factors, maybe carry more weight here, than with analysts and pro evaluators.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I personally had Fortescue rated higher than this board. But Peters did point out that the US defense is not that strong so Fortescue has a better chance of making the team than Perrault who is competing against a deep forward group.

The rankings here are extremely subjective. Not throwing stones, but 99% of the voting, mine included, are based on patchy info: certain games, isolated highlights, stats, and 2nd/3rd hand reports, filtered thru our biases and hopes.
That's how guys like Scanlin and Rempe get support for top 20 spots over guys who"ve been more respected prospects for way longer

And how a Barbashev gets so much support, over a Korczak, despite RK having both more productive RS and PS stats, in a deeper league, while playing C compared to MB at W.
RK's early struggles at 19 in AHL, MB's size and genes, or other factors, maybe carry more weight here, than with analysts and pro evaluators.
I agree with everything you said except on scanlin because I have seen him a lot and he’s shown he can be a strong defender. I’ll have him higher than this board based on my observations.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

A couple things I look for in prospects is continued progress and what their path to the NHL/Rangers is. This is why when I hear things like 'we need centers, we need centers' I'm thinking who out there is likely to bust past Zibanejad, Chytil, Trocheck some day (who are all signed for at least 4 more years). I actually see more of a path for someone like Rempe than Korczak. We know what Rempe is---any hope he has is as a 4th line (maybe not even as a C) physical player. Korczak pretty much is going to have to bust into the top 9 and I just don't see it and particularly as a C. It's not always a skills debate. In any case I think BMB is a much better prospect than Korczak and if we're just looking for a good defensive C among our prospects Henriksson is well ahead of him.

I'm not all that swept away by CHL numbers and as a prospect gets older those numbers usually go well up. That jump from the CHL to the pros is particularly tough their being 20 years old. The average European player will come in older and more often than not with European pro experience. The jump can be very tough for them too but not as much and the same for a lot of college players. They come in a bit older, bigger and stronger, more often than not with better hockey fundamentals.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I completely agree with your general premise about posters voting.
However, specifically between Barbasev and Korczak for me it’s also about a path to / role in the NHL. People see a bit of his older brother in the Russian where he can secure a bottom lines role and potentially a late bloomer upside to that. For Korczak IMO it’s either a scoring role - a path more difficult- or bust.

Reactions: cwede

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
A couple things I look for in prospects is continued progress and what their path to the NHL/Rangers is. This is why when I hear things like 'we need centers, we need centers' I'm thinking who out there is likely to bust past Zibanejad, Chytil, Trocheck some day (who are all signed for at least 4 more years). I actually see more of a path for someone like Rempe than Korczak. We know what Rempe is---any hope he has is as a 4th line (maybe not even as a C) physical player. Korczak pretty much is going to have to bust into the top 9 and I just don't see it and particularly as a C. It's not always a skills debate. In any case I think BMB is a much better prospect than Korczak and if we're just looking for a good defensive C among our prospects Henriksson is well ahead of him.

I actually don't put any weight at all into how likely it is a guy can make the Rangers, and I would argue that it's probably not a very helpful consideration to make when judging a prospect's value. If we're stacked at one position, and not at another, I would still rather keep the better prospect. Worst case, we have a better asset to move for a player in another position.

Same goes for drafting; just take the best prospect and move on. If we're too deep at center to give some promising kid a chance, that means we're deep enough at center to dangle some guys in the trade market. Intentionally overrating potential future Rangers because our current roster is lacking at that position seems like a way to hurt our chances of improving.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

I really like low single digit numbers for forwards. Weird, I know.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I actually don't put any weight at all into how likely it is a guy can make the Rangers, and I would argue that it's probably not a very helpful consideration to make when judging a prospect's value. If we're stacked at one position, and not at another, I would still rather keep the better prospect. Worst case, we have a better asset to move for a player in another position.

Same goes for drafting; just take the best prospect and move on. If we're too deep at center to give some promising kid a chance, that means we're deep enough at center to dangle some guys in the trade market. Intentionally overrating potential future Rangers because our current roster is lacking at that position seems like a way to hurt our chances of improving.
I used to be very adamant about taking BPA but now that the organization is flushed almost exclusively with wingers and LD - arguably least important positions - I have a softer take where tiers should be considered and BPA at a stacked position should be taken only when he’s miles ahead of the other options.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

When you have the top part of your roster filled out for the foreseeable future....still having creativity is great for a prospect but except in exceptional cases it's likely not enough to get you into the NHL. What can help is being good at other things. A player who can play a dependable defensive game, forecheck back check hard, kill penalties. Even our better forward prospects like Othmann and Cuylle to get a regular gig with the Rangers are almost surely starting in the bottom 6 and it might take a couple/3 year for them to work their way up to a scoring line. Personally I think Cuylle's going to be a 3rd liner when all is said and done and Othmann probably a 2nd liner. How that speaks to other prospects like Barbashev or Korczak if they were to make the Rangers one day....they are definitely lesser prospects.

To your point on not putting weight on if they make the Rangers.......for our purposes as prospects they'll never be worth a lot on the trade market if they don't. Teams don't usually trade a lot---or equal value to where the player was taken if they don't have some NHL or aren't making much noise in the pros.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

I watch a lot of AHL games and when I see players like Scanlin and Rempe, I see players that play a pro game. Rarely caught out of position and are aware of where the puck is and where they need to be in relation to where the puck is.
The AHL is arguably the second best pro league in the world.
Scanlin and Rempe are good AHL players. Whether they are able to transition to the NHL level is yet to be seen.
This is why I rate them so high on forum poles in regard to other Ranger prospects who are playing in lesser leagues against less talented players.

Reactions: egelband

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
FB_IMG_1691899912912.jpg

This is ridiculous. So these players won't know how to defend themselves if they reach the NHL. This is a stupid decision

Reactions: Daves a mess
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad