Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.22.2024)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The NHL will eventually get rid of fighting, too. It's an inevitability. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I just think the writing is on the wall and has been for 20 years.

I don't think the kids in junior hockey should fight. A lot of them are legitimately still kids. I always felt kind of weird cheering on a 17 year old kid fighting a 16 year old kid. I would guess that this will become a non-issue in the Q in a year or two and then the other two CHL leagues will follow suit.

The only way to truly protect yourself in a hockey fight is to either refuse to engage or turtle if you're pulled in. If you square up there's always a chance you'll get hurt. We've seen heavies get knocked out plenty of times. The effects of repeated bouts over a career.

It's on its way out whether we like it or not.
I hope you’re wrong, but I tend to agree.

I still think fighting is a major part of the pro game. I have zero issues removing it from the junior ranks though. I think that’s a very valid argument.

Reactions: egelband

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
They need to start making the fines actually hurt. $5k when these guys are making 7 figures doesn't make any of these guys blink. Make it a high 5 figure fine from the get-go (say $75k) and maybe they'll start thinking a little harder before taking a run at someone.

Imagine Marchand/Cooke/Wilson getting 20-40 game suspensions+racking up a couple hundred thousand in fines in their hayday? If only. But the NHL seems to not understand that they are the ones that created these rules, and are the ones that can change them to legitimately crack down on the behavior they claim to want to crack down on.

I understand the idea behind wanting to stop literal children from fighting/getting seriously hurt. I don't think it's going to stop them from fighting at higher levels if they're really intent on doing it, or they will just go through another league. But the NHL are (mostly) grown men, and fighting has been part of the sport for(mostly)ever. I don't think it's quite as close to being on the way out in the NHL. They have to stop pretending that all the cheap shots and shit were what made the game fun/interesting back in the day, though.

in fairness, it's typically not the guys making that kinda money doing the things you'd want to see fined more severely i'd imagine. i'm not necessarily against increasing the fine amounts, because they are a joke, but depending on the degree to which they're increased i'm not entirely trusting of the arbitrary process of the nhl that decides them. i don't want to see fines be opened to say 300k or something, then watch an over the top slash from a journeyman 4th liner making league min get maxed while someone like malkin gets 10k or something on the exact same play- similar to how the suspensions are decided. i'm fine increasing the punishment for actions, i just don't know how much good it would do in the grand scheme. the subjectiveness of the decision making process all but ensures the system will just make examples of the nobodies while the bigger names are excused for their actions. i don't think that helps anybody. because of the dynamic nature of the game, even a defined system will enable workarounds...ie whatever the defined penalty is for a given action, on some level there's a subjective interpretation of what does and doesn't constitute said action. as much as i agree with the sentiment, i ultimately feel like there's a limit to how much behavior you can eliminate with regulation in a game like hockey at the pro level. that, and there's a fear of granting subjective authority to a person or people who arbitrarily decide, and answer to no one, additional penal authority they'll undoubtedly fail in just like they do with suspensions.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Yep. And at some point, full cages will also be inevitable.
I actually would agree with this in any league that isn't pro. There is no reason for kids to be risking serious injury for a sport they are not being paid to play and likely never will. Pros are different and I don't think cages or a ban on fighting will ever be in pro hockey. The game itself has already naturally moved on.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I actually would agree with this in any league that isn't pro. There is no reason for kids to be risking serious injury for a sport they are not being paid to play and likely never will. Pros are different and I don't think cages or a ban on fighting will ever be in pro hockey. The game itself has already naturally moved on.

People said the same thing about helmets prior to 1979 and about visors prior to 2013.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
There won’t be cages in the NHL. As it is there is a rule you can’t wear them unless of an injury.

NHL is about marketing, they want to show the players faces. Watching NCAA is always so dull because you cant even see the players expressions, or even what they look like.

Everyone knew helmets would be mandatory sooner or later once they started coming into the league, same with visors. Cage’s won’t.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Once every few years someone in the NHL loses an eye but there really aren't that many serious facial injuries that I think the NHL is ever (or at least not in what remains of my lifetime) going to make the step of making players where cages.....or at least not for the foreseeable future. I don't think most fans will like it and maybe more importantly I don't think the billionaire owners will either and that part is probably what Bettman cares about most. That's the kind of change will go through all the owners first.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Corey Pronman has started his ranking of team's prospects. This year, however, he decided that he would include anyone who was younger than 22 as of September 15, even if they already were established in the NHL and exclude anyone over that age. So this is really a ranking of a team's younger players than the term "prospects" that we use in our prospect ranking. That would be those players drafted in 2019 and afterwards. The Rangers have 31 players drafted and still in the system (Grubbe and Vierling are excluded).

As a result the Rangers evaluation with include Kakko, Schneider and Lafreniere and exclude Trivigno, Emberson, Scanlin and Lindbolm. Those first three likely will jack up the Rangers rating.

Teams 25-32 were released today and not surprisingly, the teams that have been going for it the last several years and have traded prospects and picks are at the bottom of the list.

25. Colorado
26. Vegas
27. Toronto
28. Edmonton
29. Pittsburgh
30. Islanders
31. Tampa Bay
32. Boston

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Corey Pronman has started his ranking of team's prospects. This year, however, he decided that he would include anyone who was younger than 22 as of September 15, even if they already were established in the NHL and exclude anyone over that age. So this is really a ranking of a team's younger players than the term "prospects" that we use in our prospect ranking. That would be those players drafted in 2019 and afterwards. The Rangers have 31 players drafted and still in the system (Grubbe and Vierling are excluded).

As a result the Rangers evaluation with include Kakko, Schneider and Lafreniere and exclude Trivigno, Emberson, Scanlin and Lindbolm. Those first three likely will jack up the Rangers rating.

Teams 25-32 were released today and not surprisingly, the teams that have been going for it the last several years and have traded prospects and picks are at the bottom of the list.

25. Colorado
26. Vegas
27. Toronto
28. Edmonton
29. Pittsburgh
30. Islanders
31. Tampa Bay
32. Boston
Lol Isles.

• Haha
Reactions: Rongomania

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
i'm starting to wonder if Director Of Amateur Scouting is a title that just means someone's very new to scouting.

• Haha

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015

25. Colorado
26. Vegas
27. Toronto
28. Edmonton
29. Pittsburgh
30. Islanders
31. Tampa Bay
32. Boston
Rangers are in top 16. Remaining teams addressed in next few days.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I haven't wanted to start the conversation, lest he doesn't overachieve and then the board turns on him after a season, but Sykora is the kind of kid who could find his way to the NHL much quicker than we all anticipate.

I won't be shocked if he's one of the most important players for Hartford right out of the gate.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lafreniere
Kakko
Perreault
Schneider
Othmann
Cuylle
Chmelar
Robertson
McConnell-Barker
Jones
Ollas

He ranked them in that order. That's not close to how I'd rank them. The. He has a group of guys that aren't ranked under a "Chance to Play" header, listed alphabetically.

Boyko
Edstrom
Fortescue
Korczak
Laba
Larsson
Sykora
Vaisanen

Again, my list would be way different. But, he's the pro, so what do I know.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Don't know if Sykora is going to turn into much of a scorer. My guess is he'll be a kind of cross between Hagelin and Fast. A guy who chips in on offense. He's got speed and he's got a motor--he's a smart defensive player. I do think he's a very good bet to be an NHL player more a bottom 6 forward though.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Don't know if Sykora is going to turn into much of a scorer. My guess is he'll be a kind of cross between Hagelin and Fast. A guy who chips in on offense. He's got speed and he's got a motor--he's a smart defensive player. I do think he's a very good bet to be an NHL player more a bottom 6 forward though.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'd expect that he has to hit his ceiling to be that Hagelin/Fast type, but even if he only gets three quarters of the way there, that's still a career NHLer skillset; and exactly the type of skillset that competing teams try to populate their bottom six with.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Lafreniere
Kakko
Perreault
Schneider
Othmann
Cuylle
Chmelar
Robertson
McConnell-Barker
Jones
Ollas

He ranked them in that order. That's not close to how I'd rank them. The. He has a group of guys that aren't ranked under a "Chance to Play" header, listed alphabetically.

Boyko
Edstrom
Fortescue
Korczak
Laba
Larsson
Sykora
Vaisanen

Again, my list would be way different. But, he's the pro, so what do I know.
He also listed Kakko/Jones as Avg/Below Avg puck handlers and proceeded to compliant that part of their game in the write up. So I’m right there with you. Also confused on why Garand was left off the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad