Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.22.2024)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Due to his age as an overager and the fact that he takes an import spot Barbashev’s value is not that high. Teams can only have 3 overagers and 2 imports and he takes two of those spots. Moncton drafted 2 new imports for their contending season in 2024-2025.

Shawinigan is at the start of a rebuild but I guess they wanted to add some offense to help their young team.

Thanks. I forgot that import-angle. That's a good point.

Reactions: SergeConstantin74

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Due to his age as an overager and the fact that he takes an import spot Barbashev’s value is not that high. Teams can only have 3 overagers and 2 imports and he takes two of those spots. Moncton drafted 2 new imports for their contending season in 2024-2025.

Shawinigan is at the start of a rebuild but I guess they wanted to add some offense to help their young team.
i always forget that draft vs CHL 'corner case'
that, while he wasn't NHL draft eligible until 2022, because of his late '03 birthday,
his D+2 would still be classified as overage anyway because he will turn 20 in '23

thanks

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Daniel Walcott signed an AHL deal yesterday
but that's after 8 consecutive seasons on NHL contracts!
(1 NHL GP)

drafted by NYR a few rounds after Shesty
Yes, and I believe he plays almost exclusively or exclusively at forward now, too.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
i always forget that draft vs CHL 'corner case'
that, while he wasn't NHL draft eligible until 2022, because of his late '03 birthday,
his D+2 would still be classified as overage anyway because he will turn 20 in '23

thanks

Yes and he's AHL-ECHL eligible.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Daniel Walcott signed an AHL deal yesterday
but that's after 8 consecutive seasons on NHL contracts!
(1 NHL GP)

drafted by NYR a few rounds after Shesty

When I see Daniel Walcott's name it always remind me of his brother Karl who's an actor and who played a hockey player in a series. They also look like twins!

30312700897_d42af01e68_o-1.jpg

karl-walcott-demain-des-hommes.JPG

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
back in Hartford???
sorry if misleading, no not Hartford,

he signed with Syracuse, where he has played, since '15-16, on his prior NHL/Tampa contracts

I didn't post in the Hartford/Cincinnati topic, only here
he was one-time NYR draft pick,
wasn't gonna be signed by NYR so traded, for 7th, to TBL, way back

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
sorry if misleading, no not Hartford,

he signed with Syracuse, where he has played, since '15-16, on his prior NHL/Tampa contracts

I didn't post in the Hartford/Cincinnati topic, only here
he was one-time NYR draft pick,
wasn't gonna be signed by NYR so traded, for 7th, to TBL, way back

I remember that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My guess would be Barbashev plays in Shawinigan this year. Hartford should have plenty of forwards and D. Maxim had a pretty good season last year but he was like 3rd/4th in scoring on his team and somewhere around the mid 30's for the QMJHL. Being on the older side of his draft season all that argues for a guy who will need to round out his game while chipping in offense after he turns pro. His path to the NHL is as a bottom 6 winger and it will take him some time to develop his game to the point he's ready for that.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
My guess would be Barbashev plays in Shawinigan this year. Hartford should have plenty of forwards and D. Maxim had a pretty good season last year but he was like 3rd/4th in scoring on his team and somewhere around the mid 30's for the QMJHL. Being on the older side of his draft season all that argues for a guy who will need to round out his game while chipping in offense after he turns pro. His path to the NHL is as a bottom 6 winger and it will take him some time to develop his game to the point he's ready for that.

Let's just hope Rangers sign him and he doesn't force himself to Vegas to play with his brother. I can see that happening as he dealt for a 7th lol next summer

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Let's just hope Rangers sign him and he doesn't force himself to Vegas to play with his brother. I can see that happening as he dealt for a 7th lol next summer

Right now I'd say there's about an 80% chance we'll sign him and about a 25% he plays 200+ NHL games. That equates to being a fairly decent prospect at least to my eyes. Generally signing a player doesn't mean he'll become a serious NHL player or even get in a few NHL games. It's a process and he's kind of at the beginning of it. I don't see much chance of him becoming a top 6 forward for us or anyone else......but all that remains to be seen. It's just nothing I see so far points to that. It wouldn't shock me but I'd be a bit surprised if Vegas had all that much interest in him at this point in his journey. This thing of bringing brothers together doesn't really happen all that often.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Why would he force himself to an organization where he would have trouble working his way in?

These guys want to play ASAP so they can get that second contract ASAP.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Having seen rosters for both the Västerås men's team as well as the J20 team, Rasmus Larsson isn't on either. This leads me to believe he is definitely coming to the U.S. to play for Green Bay in the USHL, who holds his rights.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Did we ever get confirmation on where Sykora is playing this season? CHL? AHL? Or staying overseas?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I don't think he's signed anywhere overseas so while it's not confirmation, it seems like he'll be crossing the pond this year.

CHL/AHL determination will likely be made after camp.

With the way he played in Hartford, I really doubt he is anywhere else but Hartford.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
With the way he played in Hartford, I really doubt he is anywhere else but Hartford.
It depends if they want him to develop with 20+ minutes and PP/PK time (Juniors) to work on his offensive game, or 13-14 minutes with limited PP/PK time in the AHL.

I'm pushing for the not even 19 year old yet, to play big minutes in Juniors. Let him join the Pack at 20 years old.

But i'm fully expecting the Rangers to put him in the AHL. They don't like slow and steady developments.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It depends if they want him to develop with 20+ minutes and PP/PK time (Juniors) to work on his offensive game, or 13-14 minutes with limited PP/PK time in the AHL.

I'm pushing for the not even 19 year old yet, to play big minutes in Juniors. Let him join the Pack at 20 years old.

But i'm fully expecting the Rangers to put him in the AHL. They don't like slow and steady developments.

My opinion is juniors for a year would be good for him as well

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah if he's not getting top minutes in Hartford I'd rather he go to the WHL as well.

Who is in his way in Hartford though? Serious question as I honestly have no clue what the make up of that roster is right now.

Reactions: bhamill
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad