NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Oddly tonight was the first time I saw a home team win the Cup in a Game 7.

Bobrovsky should have won the Conn Smythe based on how the game played out.
I heard today the last team before tonight (well... last night) in north American sports to win a home game 7 was the Miami heat in 2013 but not sure if that's true or not or the parameters.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Hard to believe what I'm reading here........some of you actually watched the post game stuff? The second the clock hit 0:00 I turned the channel, who the hell wants to watch those scumbags celebrate?
Had to watch some of it last night as we were invited out to some friends place (3rd game night in a row) to watch.

This is the first Cup final game I've watched in 4 years. Largely due to not caring

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Random thoughts:

Teary-eyed Keith Tkachuk singing along with Kool & the Gang's Celebration was glorious.

Seeing Brady Tkachuk happy for his brother was touching; though he's also celebrating now having a Vezina-winning goalie.

I learned about the trade via the blurb across the bottom of the screen; I thought prices were higher trading within the division, but Sweeney disproved that.

Maybe they're just growing on me, but I like Messier and Subban. They could possibly build a chemistry akin to Ron MacLean and Don Cherry, with PK being Grapes, and Messier his straight man.

I'm OK with McDavid getting the Conne Smythe, though I would've been fine with a Panther winning it after he went cold in the last two.

Having just averted a tropical storm, I was worried when I walked outside after game to heavy winds. Turns out it was just Jay Woodcroft exhaling.

McDavid was the obvious choice for the Conn Smythe IMO. Yes he faded out right at the end, but the numbers all playoffs were crazy good, he led from the front, and on the other side Bobrovsky lost just a little shine through three straight defeats and Barkov couldn't quite produce enough to take it off him. And if anyone's really unhappy about it, just think, the fact that McDavid was pretty much a nonentity who was well shut down in the most important game of his career to date, with a Cup on the line, will burn him immensely. He's the most competitive guy out there and someone who's very much aware of his legacy, so this one will sting for quite a while.

Probably wasn't the greatest game for the casual fan to watch, but elimination games of this sort are usually tight, defense-heavy affairs, and the Panthers would have been out of their minds to try and go toe and toe in a more open, back-and-forth game with the Oilers. Really what won it for them was finally getting back just in time to their hard-pressing, tough on pucks, take away time and space style that they've perfected all year. Not pretty perhaps, but very effective.

I don't mind Messier. Still not sold on Subban, but he benefited from the in-arena format for the finals where he had to be more serious and mostly just talk about the actual hockey. Without the antics, his knowledge of the game, which of course is pretty broad, was shared much more effectively. ESPN can still do better with their coverage and presentation, but what we got this playoffs was decent enough.

Always interesting to see who stands up when it matters most, and who doesn't. Verhaeghe is a big game player. -5 for the playoffs, but who cares because he comes up big when it's really needed so often. Lundell is sneaky good too. Janmark and Ekholm had very solid postseasons. A fit Kane as another attacking option was missed by Edmonton. Bouchard has all the offensive talent in the world but really needs to work on his defensive reads and positioning. Too often at present he's a liability. Draisaitl really hurt his stocks being near-invisible in the finals. Usually a playoffs beast so don't know what happened there. Cost his team bad.

Finally I feel like the wider hockey world was a little slow over the years in working out just how good Barkov is. Fully getting all the recognition and credit he deserves now and then some. Comparisons with Bergeron are misplaced because he's a slightly different type of player, but he's genuinely an excellent two-way center in his own right. Good on him for being able to raise the Cup as captain - well earned.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Congratulations to the panthers
And to the refs for the most part kept their whistles in their pocket

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Why would Edmonton trade for Ullmark who has 3 career playoff wins, when they came within one game of winning it all with Skinner in goal?
I'd take Ullmark over Skinner any day of the week. Skinner was great from game 4 on in this series, minus the costly cream puff goal, but he's looked shaky ASF a lot through the playoffs as well. Better yet if they had a tandum like Skinner-Ullmark during the regular season he might not have been as worn out when the playoffs came around. But that would take getting into the boring salary cap/business side to know if that would work, I don't go there.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
As noted to OrrForever in the Music Thread, who posted Supertramp's "Long Way Home,"

I did not watch the game, though I had planned to do so.

You bear the burden of informing me of the outcome.

Hoped EDM would win. All respect to FLA. Wish my home team played like that.

Somewhere, Shawn Thornton is smiling.

Good on him, and good on that franchise.

Reactions: caz16

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Bett and Jerry must be feeling vindicated on the same day as Alex Meruelo walks away from one of their other top TV market destinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad