Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Apparently the rights to Guentzel can be had for a mid round pick. Mother of God. Trade one of Cirelli or Sergachev immediately. The Kings will probably move Kaliyev for Jeannot. It would absolutely be crazy enough to work. Stamkos and the team are not that far apart in AAV
How do expect to fit Guentzel and Stamkos under the cap?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
How much is Guentzel gonna get?
With Cirelli and Jeannot traded we can sign Stamkos at $6 million and Guentzel for just under $8 million. If it's Sergachev you have another $2.25 million to play with between them. It's a pipe dream but it's not like it's this mathematically impossible one

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They have known the number for probably 6-7 weeks now . I’d bet JBB has not offered anything to Stamkos yet .
If I'm a GM with until July 1st, my conversation with Don Meehan goes something like this back in May: "I have no idea what the cap is going to be. So let's do this, tell Steven and his family to hang tight for a couple weeks. When I get the official number I'll table the first offer. There's a lot of options we can explore to come to a satisfactory agreement for everyone but some of those options have a lot of moving parts. Tell him I don't want him going anywhere and let me know if there's any gray area we can work with." Today it's "Hey Don, let Steven know we'll have something drawn up by Monday. Hopefully he's gonna like it"

It's all business baby. Take your time but DO NOT speculate. 300k is 1.2 million over the 4 years he'd probably get. That's a lot of freaking money.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Only chance at Guentzel would be to trade Serg, Jeannot, Sheary and Perbix. With the slight cap increase, Tampa would have 19.625 and 15 players signed. Guentzel would have to sign for 8, Stamkos for 6, an RD like Chatfield or someone around 3, then one of Lilleberg/Crozier up as the 7th Dman, then there's enough room for 2 more F with the ~2 million left. The team would have to roll with 21 players though, unless Stamkos came in less or they promoted bith Lilleberg and Crozier instead, in which case they'd have an extra 2-2.5 to work with and be able to run 22 players/pay Guentzel a little more.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If I'm a GM with until July 1st, my conversation with Don Meehan goes something like this back in May: "I have no idea what the cap is going to be. So let's do this, tell Steven and his family to hang tight for a couple weeks. When I get the official number I'll table the first offer. There's a lot of options we can explore to come to a satisfactory agreement for everyone but some of those options have a lot of moving parts. Tell him I don't want him going anywhere and let me know if there's any gray area we can work with." Today it's "Hey Don, let Steven know we'll have something drawn up by Monday. Hopefully he's gonna like it"

It's all business baby. Take your time but DO NOT speculate. 300k is 1.2 million over the 4 years he'd probably get. That's a lot of freaking money.
Stamkos / newport sports we reject your offer and counter with 7.5 AAV for a 5 year term stammer loves you guys and will go down 1 million per season but we feel we can get 8-9.5 million per season on the open market!

Thanks Don Meehan

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Stamkos / newport sports we reject your offer and counter with 7.5 AAV for a 5 year term stammer loves you guys and will go down 1 million per season but we feel we can get 8-9.5 million per season on the open market!

Thanks Don Meehan
If 7.5 is as low as they'll go, then it's thanks Stamkos, but time to go.

Reactions: Zwui21

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we might be disappointed if we are expecting him to take a paycut after 40 goals under a higher cap.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Dudes and dudettes. Stamkos is 34. His comparables in age are guys like Duchene, Kane, JVR, Doughty, Hedman and Bogosian. This is his retirement contract. If you wanna pay him $7.5 million, you're doing it based on numbers he achieved and not consistency. He had an amazing last month and change at the end of the season. But our man LABORED to even get to 29 goals and it was 6 months of all of us talking about deals that started with a "5" and if he wanted more then we needed to make a hard choice. Then in games 70 thru 75 he went on a Stamkosian heater scoring 10 times. He got his 40 goals and turned in the kind of playoff series we always wanted of him. I'm not saying he isn't worth $7.5 million. I'm saying look at the body of work that brought you to that conclusion.

This isn't Palat having 3 years in the bank on Stamkos at the end of his deal. Or Killorn enjoying one of the healthiest careers you will ever see. Or Coleman and Goodrow both being younger than 30 and never having that big money deal

The whole reason all this worked was because he took the $8.5 million he was worth to begin with. For him to lose the plot and be like "7.5 million cuz the cap went up" makes no sense to me

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Dudes and dudettes. Stamkos is 34. His comparables in age are guys like Duchene, Kane, JVR, Doughty, Hedman and Bogosian. This is his retirement contract. If you wanna pay him $7.5 million, you're doing it based on numbers he achieved and not consistency. He had an amazing last month and change at the end of the season. But our man LABORED to even get to 29 goals and it was 6 months of all of us talking about deals that started with a "5" and if he wanted more then we needed to make a hard choice. Then in games 70 thru 75 he went on a Stamkosian heater scoring 10 times. He got his 40 goals and turned in the kind of playoff series we always wanted of him. I'm not saying he isn't worth $7.5 million. I'm saying look at the body of work that brought you to that conclusion.

This isn't Palat having 3 years in the bank on Stamkos at the end of his deal. Or Killorn enjoying one of the healthiest careers you will ever see. Or Coleman and Goodrow both being younger than 30 and never having that big money deal

The whole reason all this worked was because he took the $8.5 million he was worth to begin with. For him to lose the plot and be like "7.5 million cuz the cap went up" makes no sense to me

The problem is what other teams are willing to pay and the lack of quality UFAs on the market.

If we’re going to low-ball him he might as well start looking for mountain-side mansions in Utah.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The problem is what other teams are willing to pay and the lack of quality UFAs on the market.

If we’re going to low-ball him he might as well start looking for mountain-side mansions in Utah.
I am not even talking about low balling him. The dude is 34 years old and has realistically taken home well more than half of the $99 million we have given him. I cannot conceivably imagine some other market overpaying for his services as any kind of priority to him or his family. If some team goes "DUurrrRrrurr $8 million AAV and 6 yEarz!!!" then congrats you chased a cap hit to get the same $4 million in take home cash as the $6.65 million deal I have on the table. By the way, good luck playing til 40. Only St. Louis and Pavelski managaed to do that at such a high level. You do you, boo boo. If it was up to me, that's around the final number I have at 4 years and try to clear cap for one more marquee move at forward that's gonna win us a chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad