Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Only 4 rounds seems a bit radical don't you think? I think 5 would be fair.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah I'm not in favor of this. Every Joe Nobody who doesn't sign regardless of his round pulls the "i WaNnA pLaY 4 tEh RoNg0z!!" I honestly don't see how this benefits anyone but the biggest markets

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
everyone who would’ve gone in the later rounds would be a free agent with this so it doesn’t really hurt us at all. just gives us more prospects to sign

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah I'm not in favor of this. Every Joe Nobody who doesn't sign regardless of his round pulls the "i WaNnA pLaY 4 tEh RoNg0z!!" I honestly don't see how this benefits anyone but the biggest markets
Yep i agree because then the players have more power to pick where they play

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I am not even talking about low balling him. The dude is 34 years old and has realistically taken home well more than half of the $99 million we have given him. I cannot conceivably imagine some other market overpaying for his services as any kind of priority to him or his family. If some team goes "DUurrrRrrurr $8 million AAV and 6 yEarz!!!" then congrats you chased a cap hit to get the same $4 million in take home cash as the $6.65 million deal I have on the table. By the way, good luck playing til 40. Only St. Louis and Pavelski managaed to do that at such a high level. You do you, boo boo. If it was up to me, that's around the final number I have at 4 years and try to clear cap for one more marquee move at forward that's gonna win us a chip

I think it starts at 4 years, $7.5M. We might be able to get a hometown discount on that, I think he really wants to stay. But I think one team can crack and add more term or more salary to that.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Hard to say but how low will stamkos go ?will he sign a lesser deal with a cap of 88 million?
It doesn't really matter, as there is a limit to what JBB can offer and still have a 22 player roster (if that's the plan, as 21 seems risky). Since I do not see JBB moving any of Cirelli, Serg, or Cernak to create more money for a player turning 35 during the season (regardless of who that player is), the best he can do is trade Jeannot, Sheary, and if needs be, Perbix. This creates 11.125 in space, with the team then needing to sign 5 forwards and 2 dmen to reach 22. Lilleberg and Crozier would likely be the 2 dmen, so now they have just under 9.4 left. If they trade for a F in a hypothetical Jeannot trade (such as Kaliyev), plus re-sign Motte, promote Goncalves or another Suracuse player, that leaves them with a little under 7. Then they sign one last ufa F for 1-1.5, and the rest is for Stamkos.

The absolute most they could offer him and make it work in this more than likely scenario is 6. Perhaps JBB adds an extra year to make it work, who knows. However, anything that starts with a 7, or even mid to high 6's, and he's likely gone.

JBB should have spent less on defense, as there are likely to be quite a few solid, younger, and cheaper dmen available in ufa next month. Spending 4-5 on one of them, even having to commit for a few extra seasons, would've given the team more room for Stamkos and likely a better depth F add, plus given the team three younger dmen to have as ghe backbone of the blueline once Hedman is no longer there or top caliber.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I am not even talking about low balling him. The dude is 34 years old and has realistically taken home well more than half of the $99 million we have given him. I cannot conceivably imagine some other market overpaying for his services as any kind of priority to him or his family. If some team goes "DUurrrRrrurr $8 million AAV and 6 yEarz!!!" then congrats you chased a cap hit to get the same $4 million in take home cash as the $6.65 million deal I have on the table. By the way, good luck playing til 40. Only St. Louis and Pavelski managaed to do that at such a high level. You do you, boo boo. If it was up to me, that's around the final number I have at 4 years and try to clear cap for one more marquee move at forward that's gonna win us a chip
If you think $8m is the best offer Stamkos will get on the open market, you havent been paying attention.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Part of the reason for bringing McD back into the fold was to entice Stammer into taking a cheaper deal since he and McD are close friends. In fact, I’d argue that Stammer actually made McD’s return a condition of his not leaving for bigger bucks.

Only 4 rounds seems a bit radical don't you think? I think 5 would be fair.
This would take 3 or 4 years to implement since teams hold 5-7th round picks that they’ve traded for over the next few drafts.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
The second paragraph is the thing. We could solve a lot of problems at the cost of creating a hole we have already closed with McDonagh.

From the right team, Sergachev nets you two good pieces + an asset. And could also (depending on the roster players coming back) free up a million or two, which could be make or break with Stamkos.
Could Matheson + 26th OA + Beck be a good return for Serge? Youd get a top 3 Dmen able to handle PP2 and 22+ min a night easily + signed cheap for the next two years.

MTL would then sell Serge for a top 10 pick and get another young F

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I was giving you the opportunity to reconsider but instead you doubled down on a worse take than Hagel being overpaid.
i do appreciate you continuing the gatekeeping of opinions on this, the hockey opinion website. it sure is fun when everyone will just be regurgitating the same posts all season long again

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If you think $8m is the best offer Stamkos will get on the open market, you havent been paying attention.
Nah, it was just that immediate example. You're right on about this. But if Stamkos would seriously leave because someone offered $10 million or something like that then I hope he finds peace over uprooting his entire family to chase a cap hit and get something like 900k more than we could give him at $3 million AAV less based on whatever market made the offer

I think he signs here at 7 or very close to it either way. Give him whatever term he wants. It's not gonna make a difference when our window closes anyway

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think the effects of him getting punched in the head every game are starting to show.
The NHL is going to the Olympics, so he'd be looking at the World Championships at most.

One year in Russia sounds a little short in obtaining citizenship (and it is typically five years for Russia), but I looked on Wikipedia:
The residence requirement is reduced to one year for individuals who have been granted asylum or refugee status, or who have made extraordinary scientific, technological, or cultural contributions.

I also checked, and you don't have to renounce your previous citizenship anymore. They abolished that in 2020.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
i do appreciate you continuing the gatekeeping of opinions on this, the hockey opinion website. it sure is fun when everyone will just be regurgitating the same posts all season long again
RussianGuyovich to English translation

"Since people are saying Sergachev is overpaid I will say all our LD is overpaid to take the attention off him and when I'm called out on it, I'll just play victim."

You're right, it's an opinion. Though, opinions can be bad and inaccurate. Saying Victor Hedman is overpaid is laughable. It's a worse take than Byrd's "Hagel is overpaid." I'd rather hear other people regurgitate the obvious problems/solutions around coaching, Cirelli/Sergachev, Jeannot/Sheary, etc than to hear something out of left field that make no sense at all such as Hedman being overpaid.

Reactions: Sky04

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm just ready for a trade.. (and sheary to be off the team)
We will have like 9.4 million in cap if we buyout Sheary and trade Jeannot. The package we'd get for Sergachev would be bonkers. You could literally just do picks and prospects and get a haul that resets the farm for the next 2 years AND no shit, $17 million in cap.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
We will have like 9.4 million in cap if we buyout Sheary and trade Jeannot. The package we'd get for Sergachev would be bonkers. You could literally just do picks and prospects and get a haul that resets the farm for the next 2 years AND no shit, $17 million in cap.
MTL fan coming in peace, how about Matheson + 26OA + Beck or Barron for Serge. You save 4m but still get an awesome top 3 D (who had a better ppg than serge in the last two years) able to take on PP2 minutes as well as playing 25min a night. And get a prospect and a first to replenish your prospect pool. Wed trade back Serge for a high pick and grab a forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad