2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Am I the only one who doesn’t like these Villa moves? I think they regress this season tbh

I'm more interested in who they move out. They've spent a lot the past 2 seasons and will need to balance the books soon. I would sell Mings but he probably isn't worth as much these days so do you sell Konsa? What's the plan for Coutinho? Traore seems like excess. If they can recoup half of what they spent they'll be fine and have the ability to spend big if they make Europe.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
I'm more interested in who they move out. They've spent a lot the past 2 seasons and will need to balance the books soon. I would sell Mings but he probably isn't worth as much these days so do you sell Konsa? What's the plan for Coutinho? Traore seems like excess. If they can recoup half of what they spent they'll be fine and have the ability to spend big if they make Europe.
the grealish sale comes off ffp next year as well (but we also just got off having championship revenue seasons recently as well). I personally would've listened to offers / sold McGinn because he would count so much for ffp profit but that didn't happen. No chance they sell Mings, he's still our best CB by far and is the natural leader on the field. Recently extended too & fans would probably be angry if he left. I'd also consider moving Konsa on, but it's possible that he is Unai's plan at RB this year. I think if there is a decent offer for Coutinho, he goes but idk if there will be. Was injured the rest of the season after the Arsenal game in Feb so didn't see much of him. Traore is definitely getting sold, wouldn't be surprised to see Dendoncker sold as well. Maybe Bailey or Digne as well, not sure.

Am I the only one who doesn’t like these Villa moves? I think they regress this season tbh
A regression is bound to happen I imagine, otherwise we would finish 2nd or 3rd next year and I think that's extremely unlikely. We just don't have a lot of places where it's natural we can sign someone who's better than what we already have.

I don't love the moves, but with the amount they've spent and bringing in a name like Emery, top 4 definitely has to be the goal for them.
Yep, I'd say CL spot / winning a trophy will be the expectation/target for Unai this upcoming season.

Yeah - Mendes got bored with them and now what are they?
an outside shout for a relegation battle IMO
Also, I totally forgot Chelsea concerning Chelsea who should have a bounce-back season since bought Nkunku (which should be one of the best signings of the season), Jackson, got Angelo, and look to be close to buying Lavia/Caicedo. No way I take Aston Villa over them on paper, even a half-arse talented Pochettino can get them back in the top 5-6 based on talent alone.

I really don't know what to expect from Chelsea this year. There's no way they will be as bad as they were last season, but I don't know if they've really improved. Jackson looks very promising so far but a lot of depth has left & who knows what happens with Caicedo
They gotta beat out Newcastle, Liverpool, and Man United. I think they are better than Spurs and Brighton with the moves they did, but Liverpool got loads better (and should be healthier), Man United has done okay (the defensive line is still a major weakness IMO), and Newcastle got better (still lack elite CB and goalscorer though). I actually think Villa made the smartest moves out of any of those three clubs considering the price, but all the others already have a solid core which they all built upon that I think Aston Villa still lack. For example, LFC got Mac Allister and the Hungarian on top of an extremely deep/winning core.
Newcastle & Villa both contending with Europe games will have an effect on the squad, but that is yet to be known. Not really sure if they have improved significantly this summer. I like Tonali, but he couldn't cope with us in the preseason game at all. Liverpool definitely has strengthened for sure. If Man United don't sign a striker, they are extremely catchable imo. Brighton's an interesting one as they have lost Mac Allister & possibly Caicedo. But they have considerably upgraded their attack. I think we finish above them, but they will be pretty good. As for spurs, I think most of y'all know my thoughts on them. If they don't sign a CB, then I think they'll struggle again this season. Kane, who knows with him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I really don't know what to expect from Chelsea this year. There's no way they will be as bad as they were last season, but I don't know if they've really improved. Jackson looks very promising so far but a lot of depth has left & who knows what happens with Caicedo
I have no idea what to expect overall, but I do think cutting the squad down from like 35 to 23 will do wonders on its own.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I don’t think they’ll regress, or if they do it won’t be because of the signings. However, I do think they should be looking for a better 9 and I think the idea of them getting a CL spot (which I‘m hearing out of England to a degree) is a stretch.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Looking more and more possible that Chelsea name Reece James as captain.

Who do you think will actually serve as the captain while Reece is with the physios?
I honestly think Chilwell is another that could get it, he looks like he's been stepping up as a leader under Poch. Maybe him and James can be co-captains, and between the 2 of them, we'll have each match covered, just have to hope they aren't hurt at the same time.

Reactions: Blender

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Other changes will involve players receiving treatment off the field whenever possible to promote player safety and deter teams from slowing the game. Exceptions include when a goalkeeper is injured or if players from the same team have collided.

In circumstances where a player declines medical assistance, a teammate perceived to then purposely delay the restart will be cautioned. Refereeshave been reminded to book players who fail to respect the required distance at free-kicks.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Other changes will involve players receiving treatment off the field whenever possible to promote player safety and deter teams from slowing the game. Exceptions include when a goalkeeper is injured or if players from the same team have collided.

In circumstances where a player declines medical assistance, a teammate perceived to then purposely delay the restart will be cautioned. Refereeshave been reminded to book players who fail to respect the required distance at free-kicks.

As usual, I give it about 3 weeks before we’re back to normal.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
I don’t think they’ll regress, or if they do it won’t be because of the signings. However, I do think they should be looking for a better 9 and I think the idea of them getting a CL spot (which I‘m hearing out of England to a degree) is a stretch.
I’d be stunned if we signed a better striker than Ollie this summer. He’s not “elite” but is one of the best in the league. If we signed a Félix type player that would be mint.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I'm concerned as a Chelsea fan unless they make a couple proper signings before September because as it stands, there is no way they challenge for a CL spot and I don't even know if they're good enough for a Europa spot unless multiple clubs regress.

Signings like that young midfielder from France are nice but they need two vets at least in midfield that can start and it remains to be seen if an untested Broja/Jackson are Premier League starting quality. I think they've overdone it with the youth policy.

And in terms of the new rules for adding time....this can all be solved if they just make the game 60 minutes of actual in-play time with two 30 minute halves with time stopped whenever the ball isn't in play. The avg game should be around 60 minutes but we get certain ones that go as low as in the 40s due to time wasting. Europeans would probably complain about the Americanization of sports or some other bullshit and keep looking for dumb tweaks to fix the actual issue which is always time wasting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm concerned as a Chelsea fan unless they make a couple proper signings before September because as it stands, there is no way they challenge for a CL spot and I don't even know if they're good enough for a Europa spot unless multiple clubs regress.

Signings like that young midfielder from France are nice but they need two vets at least in midfield that can start and it remains to be seen if an untested Broja/Jackson are Premier League starting quality. I think they've overdone it with the youth policy.
Our best 11 might be something like:

Code:
            Kepa
James - Silva - Badiashile - Chilwell
        Enzo - Gallagher
    Madueke - Nkunku - Mudryk
            Jackson
Midfield is pretty imbalanced with no DM, Gallagher would be expected to play as a pivot instead of a box-to-box ball winner, and Enzo would have to sit back more. We should at least be able to score though.

Could also swap Madueke for Maatsen as he's having an insane preseason. Sterling probably starts though even though he looks cooked.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I doubt Poch will ever use two natural wingers with Nkunku as the 10. One of those four will 100% be acting as a midfielder or defensive minded winger.

Has to be if your FBs are pushing up and you need another guy capable of coming in to assist in the middle and also be defensively sound to help when your pivot is being overran.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I doubt Poch will ever use two natural wingers with Nkunku as the 10. One of those four will 100% be acting as a midfielder or defensive minded winger.

Has to be if your FBs are pushing up and you need another guy capable of coming in to assist in the middle and also be defensively sound to help when your pivot is being overran.
In the preseason we haven't been using our fullbacks much for width, they've been playing inverted.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
In the preseason we haven't been using our fullbacks much for width, they've been playing inverted.
It’s been one high and one sitting deeper. I suspect this is temporary rather than permanent given that we are short in certain areas.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He wants 100 problems?

(I know the story is shit, I just wanted to use the joke)

Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Referees have been reminded to book players who fail to respect the required distance at free-kicks.
Whether they keep up with the added time stuff or not, I would welcome this change. If a player is slowing down the other team from taking a free kick by standing in front of the ball, they should be booked immediately.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Alright, I'll be the first for a 1-20 prediction, (even with the window still open):

City
Arsenal
Liverpool
United
Newcastle
Chelsea
Villa
Spurs
Brighton
Bretford
West Ham
Fulham
Burnley
Palace
Bournemouth
Everton
Forrest
Wolves
Sheffield United
Luton Town

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Alright, I'll be the first for a 1-20 prediction, (even with the window still open):
Been thinking about my 1-20 a lot this offseason. One of the hardest to predict in. years imo.

Other than Luton in 20 lol

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This is a solid ranking imo. Just think at some point City will fumble and coming off a treble, Pep leaving in the summer(?) this could be the best chance.

Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad