2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My predictions as of 03/08/2023

1A. Manchester City: Built to win and know how to win.
1B. The Arsenal: Good point by WBS about injuries, if Arsenal stays healthy they will win the league.
3. Newcastle United: Still an incomplete squad, but have all the ability to take the next step.
4. Liverpool FC: Still an absolutely flawed club, but they have gotten progressively better.
5. Manchester United: Bearish - I'm a believer of ETH, but a very ageing core with questionable signings.

6. Chelsea FC: Should challenge for a European spot by the talent alone (toxicity can prevent them from being further up).
7. Aston Villa: Should have some noticeable wins, but should also have consistency issues.
8. Crystal Palace: Bullish - they lost Zaha, but have kept all the prime pieces & will play more open.
9. Brighton: I think they got a bit too raided to keep up the pace, but RdZ is as good as anyone to get them higher than this.
10. Fulham FC: Foolishly bullish, but I am a big Silva fan and they haven't lost anybody considerable.
11. Tottenham Hotspurs: Depends on the Kane situation, but I see a lot of regression happening here.
12. West Ham United: Moyes needs to be fired, but they're way too talented to be lower than this.
13. Everton FC: Should have a bounce-back season with Dyche and the core being healthy.
14. Brentford: Big Thomas Frank fan, but they lost some talent and won't have Toney for half a season.
15. Burnley: A lot of hype with Kompany as their manager, I actually think they could be higher than this.
16. Wolves: I like the moves they made and have some solid players, but still have an iffy core.
17. Nottingham Forest: The chemistry will get better after the billion buys and should keep them safe.

18. Sheffield United: Wouldn't be surprised if they stayed up, but I think the other teams did just a bit more.
19. Bournemouth: I want to believe in them, but they're just too vanilla, but without any vanilla beans (Artificial Flavouring FC).
20. Luton Town: The club's stadium isn't ready for the level of the EPL, which should speak volumes concerning the potential on-field product.

Notes
- I honestly think that anybody between 3rd to 9th can be quite interchangeable depending on form, injuries, and synergy.

- I could totally see Arsenal taking a step back, the preseason hasn't really been a very good sign, but the team is considerably stronger compared to last season (at least on paper).

- For Crystal Palace, Zaha is immensely talented but was always a very individual player that seemed to request a transfer every other year it felt like. Not saying he's toxic, but I think losing him could potentially bring the team closer together. Hodgson isn't good, but he should play to the club's strengths instead of the rigidity of Veira. I think they can surprise people.

- I see Spurs as being this year's Chelsea and why I have them lower. They could potentially do worse if Kane moves this window.

- I see Brentford taking the biggest step back and it won't be Frank's fault. Losing a goalkeeper of Raya's elegance is a big loss regardless of who they replaced him with. Then losing Toney where all the goals ran through should be a potential killer against them. Fulham can too, but the Bees have more of the stars aligned compared to anyone else to drop a ton of points.

- I think there will be a pretty big gap between 17th and 18th-20th. I see all the potential for Forest to be a decent club and stay within the EPL. Definitely have the talent to be a mainstay midtable club, but the results need to come.

- I suggest that Dyche is a really good manager which is why I have them higher. Everton looked quite good when he was hired, but perhaps the toxicity of the suits is worse than we thought. I would think they would have learned from last season and fix those issues.

- There's just something about Man United that seems off to me. I argue they had one brilliant form in the middle of the season which got them into a top 4 place and all they had to do was then sustain an acceptable form after that. They didn't seem to finish the season particularly strong and even though the squad has increased on paper, the money spent just seems very stupid on the players they bought. I could see ten Hag use his magic and get them to close the gap towards City and Arsenal, but we'll see if he can. I think the team will suffer from a lot of consistency issues due to a lack of strategic buys whereas Newcastle doesn't have the same problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPBolts

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Fulham did lose Mitrovic, and their good season until then went off the rails when he suspended.
When did they lose him, this is brand news to me that I have not seen? Yikes, that is a humongous loss if that's the case and they will be a lot lower on my list.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
My predictions as of 03/08/2023

1A. Manchester City: Built to win and know how to win.
1B. The Arsenal: Good point by WBS about injuries, if Arsenal stays healthy they will win the league.
3. Newcastle United: Still an incomplete squad, but have all the ability to take the next step.
4. Liverpool FC: Still an absolutely flawed club, but they have gotten progressively better.
5. Manchester United: Bearish - I'm a believer of ETH, but a very ageing core with questionable signings.

6. Chelsea FC: Should challenge for a European spot by the talent alone (toxicity can prevent them from being further up).
7. Aston Villa: Should have some noticeable wins, but should also have consistency issues.
8. Crystal Palace: Bullish - they lost Zaha, but have kept all the prime pieces & will play more open.
9. Brighton: I think they got a bit too raided to keep up the pace, but RdZ is as good as anyone to get them higher than this.
10. Fulham FC: Foolishly bullish, but I am a big Silva fan and they haven't lost anybody considerable.
11. Tottenham Hotspurs: Depends on the Kane situation, but I see a lot of regression happening here.
12. West Ham United: Moyes needs to be fired, but they're way too talented to be lower than this.
13. Everton FC: Should have a bounce-back season with Dyche and the core being healthy.
14. Brentford: Big Thomas Frank fan, but they lost some talent and won't have Toney for half a season.
15. Burnley: A lot of hype with Kompany as their manager, I actually think they could be higher than this.
16. Wolves: I like the moves they made and have some solid players, but still have an iffy core.
17. Nottingham Forest: The chemistry will get better after the billion buys and should keep them safe.

18. Sheffield United: Wouldn't be surprised if they stayed up, but I think the other teams did just a bit more.
19. Bournemouth: I want to believe in them, but they're just too vanilla, but without any vanilla beans (Artificial Flavouring FC).
20. Luton Town: The club's stadium isn't ready for the level of the EPL, which should speak volumes concerning the potential on-field product.

Notes
- I honestly think that anybody between 3rd to 9th can be quite interchangeable depending on form, injuries, and synergy.

- I could totally see Arsenal taking a step back, the preseason hasn't really been a very good sign, but the team is considerably stronger compared to last season (at least on paper).

- For Crystal Palace, Zaha is immensely talented but was always a very individual player that seemed to request a transfer every other year it felt like. Not saying he's toxic, but I think losing him could potentially bring the team closer together. Hodgson isn't good, but he should play to the club's strengths instead of the rigidity of Veira. I think they can surprise people.

- I see Spurs as being this year's Chelsea and why I have them lower. They could potentially do worse if Kane moves this window.

- I see Brentford taking the biggest step back and it won't be Frank's fault. Losing a goalkeeper of Raya's elegance is a big loss regardless of who they replaced him with. Then losing Toney where all the goals ran through should be a potential killer against them. Fulham can too, but the Bees have more of the stars aligned compared to anyone else to drop a ton of points.

- I think there will be a pretty big gap between 17th and 18th-20th. I see all the potential for Forest to be a decent club and stay within the EPL. Definitely have the talent to be a mainstay midtable club, but the results need to come.

- I suggest that Dyche is a really good manager which is why I have them higher. Everton looked quite good when he was hired, but perhaps the toxicity of the suits is worse than we thought. I would think they would have learned from last season and fix those issues.

- There's just something about Man United that seems off to me. I argue they had one brilliant form in the middle of the season which got them into a top 4 place and all they had to do was then sustain an acceptable form after that. They didn't seem to finish the season particularly strong and even though the squad has increased on paper, the money spent just seems very stupid on the players they bought. I could see ten Hag use his magic and get them to close the gap towards City and Arsenal, but we'll see if he can. I think the team will suffer from a lot of consistency issues due to a lack of strategic buys whereas Newcastle doesn't have the same problem.
Spurs 11th with potential to do worse. Mmkay.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Think you all have Crystal Palace too high. They might not be bad enough to get relegated unfortunately but they haven't added anything, have lost some and might lose more in Olise, and they rode a high to keep them afloat the end of last year. Not a very good team imo.

Reactions: Blender

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Notes
I agree with this and make it 2-9 and include Arsenal (& switch Palace for Spurs) ... I think the gap between city in 1st and 2nd is larger than the gap between 2nd and 9th.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
When did they lose him, this is brand news to me that I have not seen? Yikes, that is a humongous loss if that's the case and they will be a lot lower on my list.

It was mentioned in the Chelsea - Fulham match (30th July) that the transfer has been agreed by all parties (Al Hilal, Fulham and Mitrovic) but hasn't been officially announced yet. That's why Mitrovic hasn't played in any preseason matches (to avoid injury).

Reactions: S E P H

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
If your nose is too much.... we have a new thing for you to pick.

HFBoards currently has two EPL Pick-em games starting up.

First is a 3 strike survivor. Pick one team a week you think will win that week, can't pick the same team twice, so make your picks wisely.

The 2nd game is the standard draw, pick the teams you think will win, and try to do it the most.

minions-me.gif

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Ugh, weeks, but at least not months.

As long as he’s match fit before the end of the summer window, idc

My prediction is sterling starts W1, sucks, and then Maatsen takes his job.

Then Nkunku comes back and 50% chance we get Olise through the door, and then Sterling is dropped from the 18 and he goes.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
If that Olise release clause is true then I'm honestly shocked they haven't bought him. That's a guy that can serve them for years and at a bargain price.

In terms of central midfield, they'd be better off going for a cheaper/experienced central midfielder and saving that money till a player similar to Caicedo becomes available without getting bent over for an overpay imo. That guy is absolutely not worth 100M as of yet and you can't spend 100 + 120 or whatever Fernandez was on two separate CMs who MIGHT be worth the fee one day.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kepa's resurgence was one of the very few positives last season. He performed better in lighter duty as a backup, so it was nice to see him continue good form as the starter again. Whenever his tenure ends, what a rollar coaster ride it was. From his incident with Sarri and general suckage, to being a quality starter again and one of the squad's leaders.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Possibly, Kepa's numbers from fbref.com PSxG+/- lines up pretty closely when doing it for all competitions, but I'd assume this is looking at just EPL matches, but it's also a difference source of stats.

Pope's numbers are way lower on fbref.com.

Reactions: KJS14 and Blender

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If your nose is too much.... we have a new thing for you to pick.

HFBoards currently has two EPL Pick-em games starting up.

First is a 3 strike survivor. Pick one team a week you think will win that week, can't pick the same team twice, so make your picks wisely.

The 2nd game is the standard draw, pick the teams you think will win, and try to do it the most.

minions-me.gif
I'm ready on both pools...
Two years now I missed the first half of the season... this year I finally remembered to get in from the get go!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The shield this sunday... baldurs gate III tomorrow... I'd say I can die happy but then I'd miss out on all these dopamine hits... life is grand =]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad