2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
2 of the additional spots are based on overall league performance the previous year. So this year the relative performance of leagues in the CL, EL, and ECL will determine who gets the spots. If it was in place this year apparently it would have been England and Netherlands.

Those would just got to the highest placed team in the league that doesn’t already have a spot.

1 spot goes to the 3rd place team in the 5th best league and 1 additional spot opens up for the Champions path.

The 1-36 group is ranked 1-36, top 8 move to R16. 9-24 get paired and play a two legged playoff to also move onto R16.

25+ are eliminated. No dropping to the Europa League.
It is and they're getting rid of the groups. Clubs will still be drawn together in a four-team division where each other plays the other once at home and on the road, but the top 16 or whatever it is in points all make it through to the next stage. So instead of looking at groups and knowing the top 2 will go through, you could have 3 teams make it if they're all in the top 16 overall standings.

I am in my FM career where the new rules are implemented and to me it sort of sucks. The last spots will be determined by coefficient rankings/points or some rubbish like that and it depends entirely on the league I believe. In my FM career and if the rules are correct in it, the last CL place spot was up for grabs between the EPL and Serie A and it was Newcastle that grabbed it due to having more coefficient points.
Sounds as ridiculously confusing as it does by making groups not really count.

If they want to enlarge and expand the tournament then IMO teams shouldn't be in groups, they should pool random 6 - 10 matches and who has the highest points moves into knockout down to final 2. Like Europa Conference? (though i am not certain on those rules either)
Hockey style too -- High plays low points, so winning actually gets you a bonus to pursue. Not this fixable random crap.

Favoring big leagues destroys the game. But some of those little teams have absolutely no chance in the champions league.

Reactions: gary69

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Sounds as ridiculously confusing as it does by making groups not really count.

If they want to enlarge and expand the tournament then IMO teams shouldn't be in groups, they should pool random 6 - 10 matches and who has the highest points moves into knockout down to final 2. Like Europa Conference? (though i am not certain on those rules either)

Favoring big leagues destroys the game. But some of those little teams have absolutely no chance in the champions league.
From my understanding there won't be groups.

For example, City in pot 1 may draw PSG and Bayern in pot 1, BVB and Atletico in pot 2, Milan and PSV in pot 3, and Young Boys and Galatasaray in pot 4.

That doesn't (and actually can't) mean that BVB also draws PSG and Bayern in pot 1 since that would be three pot 1 teams. They could easily draw Barca as their other pot 1 team.

Reactions: LOGiK

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
Reminder that "mighty title contenders" Arsenal drew 20th place Southampton twice last season.

City looked piss yesterday. Spurs did a much better job at the Emirates than they did. That doesn't mean I think they are the better team however.

That's funny because that's the exact thing I can say after the North London Derby considering that Nketiah never was sent off for clattering Vicario.
Liverpool literally had a goal taken away. A potential red card doesn’t come close.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
From my understanding there won't be groups.

For example, City in pot 1 may draw PSG and Bayern in pot 1, BVB and Atletico in pot 2, Milan and PSV in pot 3, and Young Boys and Galatasaray in pot 4.

That doesn't (and actually can't) mean that BVB also draws PSG and Bayern in pot 1 since that would be three pot 1 teams. They could easily draw Barca as their other pot 1 team.
Yeah, I don't like it, but I don't like it now either, just accustomed to it.

Thanks for explaining it.

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
I'd actually be curious to see the impact on expected points for each of the events. I think the goal is going to be worth more for sure, but I don't think it's a dramatic difference.
perhaps but there’s lots of context in each situation that would have to come into it

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Theoretically more chances for teams from the big leagues to get in. Also removes the idea of a group of death and means you only have to get 24th out of 32 teams to move onto the elimination rounds.

The biggest reason for doing it is obviously money. 8 group stage games instead of 6 means more games to show on TV and not splitting pot 1 up into 8 different groups means you’ll get more Barca/City or PSG/Bayern matchups randomly in the group stage.

There will still be 4 pots (of 9) at the start. CL holders are in pot 1, but other than that it’s strictly ordered based on club coefficient.

Each club is drawn against 2 teams from each pot, one home, one away, to make 8 games. Generally you can’t get drawn against a team from your own league in this stage, but it’s theoretically possible if there’s situations where a league has 5 teams and they end in the same pot.

So every year Bayern, PSG, City, Real, Barca, etc will play two games against other “top 9” teams and the top teams (who also have the largest TV audiences generally) will only have to finish in the top 24 in order to move to the knockout stages and get 2 more games.

So not much point/excitement watching the 1st stage if you are a fan of top 5 league team. Maybe the last match if the team is in danger of missing out elimination round.

I'm not sure this system will go well with casual fans, too complicated and hard to follow where each team is in the standings compared to group stage.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So not much point/excitement watching the 1st stage if you are a fan of top 5 league team. Maybe the last match if the team is in danger of missing out elimination round.

I'm not sure this system will go well with casual fans, too complicated and hard to follow where each team is in the standings compared to group stage.
Yes it definitely decreases the chance big teams will miss out on the elimination rounds.

From a casual standpoint though it does mean that fans of big teams will routinely see their club face other big teams twice a year.

PSG will likely face two of Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Top English teams each year which could be interesting.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

This is a hilarious person.

Lol. He had a move that would have guaranteed him a bunch more playing time but wanted his money instead.

I don’t at all blame him for not giving up the money, but you don’t get to turn down a move and then whine about it two months later.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Klopp is gonna be pissed with the City match moved

Attachments

• 1697210438263.png
    1697210438263.png
    8 KB · Views: 3

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Gary Lineker's podcast had a great 2 part interview with Thierry Henry

Henry will be the Olympic coach and they asked who might the overage players be and he said he had to respect the coach of the full men's team and Micah Richards said, "f*** that, you're Thierry Henry!" LOL

Was more like 4 guys (Lineker, Richards, Shearer and Henry) sitting around just chatting than a "media interview".

...Shearer and Henry said their fathers never told them they were proud of them and loved them and Lineker said he only heard that on his father's death bed. Henry said all he ever wanted was his father's approval, even after World Cups.

I wonder what % of people who achieve great things have that in the past.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad