2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Another deal I'm glad we stayed away from. Liked the player, but that's insane term.

At this point, I'm perfectly content to go bargain bin shopping for a guy like Skinner if we really want to add a top 6 vet, or making a strong push for Pinto, even knowing that we'll have to give up something good, but that would be an immediate core piece added.

Reactions: Blueston

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I would have made the Druin and Perron deals. Everyone else im either indifferent or think they are outright bad deals. If we tread water for another year or two, so be it. I’m not looking for management to make stupid deals so i can be entertained NOWNOWNOW.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

LetsGoBooze

Dickinson was in range...
Jan 16, 2012
I like the non-moves. We absolutely need a top-10 pick next draft and can start worrying about trying to push our way back into the playoffs as early as 2026. We already botched last season and missed out on adding a truly elite prospect at the draft.

I think with some of these teams in a spending frenzy this could open us up to weaponizing our cap space taking on a short-term dump from another team. If we can net a 1st at some point this season by taking on a bad contract i can stomach the Hayes move as we would have moved a 2nd into the 1st as a net overall move. We need to continue asset accumulation and this fanbase needs a pinch patience. With vision, a re-tool can work, without one we'll be spinning our wheels throughout all of Thomas' contract and not really get anywhere. Build for the future. Play for 2026 and beyond.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I agree that we n
I like the non-moves. We absolutely need a top-10 pick next draft and can start worrying about trying to push our way back into the playoffs as early as 2026. We already botched last season and missed out on adding a truly elite prospect at the draft.

I think with some of these teams in a spending frenzy this could open us up to weaponizing our cap space taking on a short-term dump from another team. If we can net a 1st at some point this season by taking on a bad contract i can stomach the Hayes moves as we would have moved a 2nd into the 1st as a net overall move. We need to continue asset accumulation and this fanbase needs a pinch patience. With vision, a re-tool can work, without one we'll be spinning our wheels throughout all of Thomas' contract and not really get anywhere. Build for the future.
I agree that we need a top 10 pick but essentially we traded away pick 33 to 43 for no reason. Are we poor and now spending assets for real money savings? Somebody make it make sense…

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Another deal I'm glad we stayed away from. Liked the player, but that's insane term.

At this point, I'm perfectly content to go bargain bin shopping for a guy like Skinner if we really want to add a top 6 vet, or making a strong push for Pinto, even knowing that we'll have to give up something good, but that would be an immediate core piece added.
Insane money and term for a guy who looked lost without Stone attached to him

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Unless we make a huge trade, we're looking at mostly the same team next year that we had last year, except now the vets are a year older. I don't see any reason to resign Buch just to replicate last year's 16 place finish. Trade him for futures, sign a vet or 2 in the upcoming days that we can flip at the TDL, and expect to draft earlier. This time next year the prospects will be 1 more year developed and the bad contracts will be closer to expiring. Extending Buch makes no sense.

Reactions: TheDizee

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I'm now scared shitless at what Buchnevich extension would look like. Chances of him agreeing to something like 5 years is about 0%.

You know what.... good. Army wants to continue down this retool on the fly BS when we are clearly in a rebuild, not a full tear it down mode but a rebuild through youth none the less. Buchnevich doesn't fit the timeline and he will garner the largest return. Hopefully these numbers coming out today will have Buch coming to Army with an unreasonable ask and he forces Army's hand.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You know what.... good. Army wants to continue down this retool on the fly BS when we are clearly in a rebuild, not a full tear it down mode but a rebuild through youth none the less. Buchnevich doesn't fit the timeline and he will garner the largest return. Hopefully these numbers coming out today will have Buch coming to Army with an unreasonable ask and he forces Army's hand.
And I'm still not convinced that we are extending him. I sort of wonder if Army wanted to know if he could get some of the FA targets, which would've made it make more sense to extend Buchnevich. Now that we missed out on guys like Stephenson, does it make more sense to pivot and move Buchnevich to a team that didn't land a big free agent target and now has a bigger need for Buch and his cheap cap hit.

Feels like if Buch was truly open to a deal with team friendly term, it would've been signed by now. I really hope Army doesn't go 6-8 years.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Unless we make a huge trade, we're looking at mostly the same team next year that we had last year, except now the vets are a year older. I don't see any reason to resign Buch just to replicate last year's 16 place finish. Trade him for futures, sign a vet or 2 in the upcoming days that we can flip at the TDL, and expect to draft earlier. This time next year the prospects will be 1 more year developed and the bad contracts will be closer to expiring. Extending Buch makes no sense.

I think there’s still a benefit to re-signing Buch and not full on bottoming out. But I’m not sure at this point if it outweighs trading him and getting the assets from that trade and not having years 6-8 of the contract that he’s probably going to request.

It’s hard to get a team from the dumps to competitive quickly especially with a young group.

Unfortunately and I’m not trying to wish this on anyone our best case scenario for next year if we’re staying this course would be to lose a few guys for an extended period of time and bottom out due to not having enough behind it while the vets expire or are moved and the young guys develop. We need to bottom out with our core guys still producing and get a really high end pick once in this retool. But also keep a good environment and have something to point to for a reason for the fall off.

Of course, winning the lottery would be the easiest way to do so, but the likelihood of that is minimal

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'm now scared shitless at what Buchnevich extension would look like. Chances of him agreeing to something like 5 years is about 0%.

He has to know we are several years away from being a true contender. He’d be an idiot to take a discount and Army would be an idiot to pay him market value.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I think there’s still a benefit to re-signing Buch and not full on bottoming out. But I’m not sure at this point if it outweighs trading him and getting the assets from that trade and not having years 6-8 of the contract that he’s probably going to request.

It’s hard to get a team from the dumps to competitive quickly especially with a young group.

Unfortunately and I’m not trying to wish this on anyone our best case scenario for next year if we’re staying this course would be to lose a few guys for an extended period of time and bottom out due to not having enough behind it while the vets expire or are moved and the young guys develop. We need to bottom out with our core guys still producing and get a really high end pick once in this retool. But also keep a good environment and have something to point to for a reason for the fall off.

Of course, winning the lottery would be the easiest way to do so, but the likelihood of that is minimal
To be clear, I'm not advocating for bottoming out. I don't think trading Buch would be bottoming out because we'd still have too many good players to really tank. Trading Buch accomplishes 3 things: we don't have to sign him to a long contract that will likely feel a lot like Schenn's contract half way through it, we get whatever assets we get in a trade, and we draft higher next year. I've liked the guy since he was Ranger, but what does extending him well into his 30s accomplish? When we last extended Schenn, we could at least say we're ignoring the bad second half of that contract to contend better during the first half.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Wennburg is the last candidate out there that makes some sense on a buy low, he missed his chance deal. Could be a pretty good defensive 2nd line with Saad and Buch to give Thomas more O starts.

Neighbours-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad - Wenburg- Buch
Texier - Schenn - Bolduc
Torop - sunny/dean/alenandrov - Kap

It's possible Wennburg signed and I missed it with every site crashing every other minute. But he's the only name I have not seen snagged or pending a deal elsewhere

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wennburg is the last candidate out there that makes some sense on a buy low, he missed his chance deal. Could be a pretty good defensive 2nd line with Saad and Buch to give Thomas more O starts.

Neighbours-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad - Wenburg- Buch
Texier - Schenn - Bolduc
Torop - sunny/dean/alenandrov - Kap

It's possible Wennburg signed and I missed it with every site crashing every other minute. But he's the only name I have not seen snagged or pending a deal elsewhere
Roslovic is another I could be on board with.

Reactions: BrokenFace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad