2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Of the 462 forwards who played +200mins in the league last year, only 24 (5%) managed a positive CF/60Rel (positive offensive contribution) and a negative CA/60Rel (positive defensive contribution) while starting more of their shifts in the defensive zone than the offensive zone. Kasperi Kapanen was one of those players. Good value signing.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It’s not a big deal…I just can’t stand watching Kapanen play. Not a rational thing, just meh.

Reactions: Drubilly

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So far nothing that I'm disappointed that we missed out on. Stamkos would've been fun to have, but I assume he just hates taxes and we never had a chance.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
You mean Petro spurning our offer and joining the enemy effectively closed our window? Don't think having Petro at the contract Vegas gave him would have made much difference, and now we'd be in the same situation they are trying to get rid of him with a NMC.

Kapanen doesn't really move the needle much but I'd like him a lot more as a 4th liner making close to the minimum than a 3rd liner making what he did last year. He definitely showed glimpses of being a decent player, just not often enough.
Different people obviously read the situation differently. The topic’s been beaten to death and I doubt anyone’s changing their opinion on the matter so I don’t care to rehash it.

I’ll just say I’d rather be dealing with Petro’s contract and level of play than Krug’s contract and level of play.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
How cheap? He's coming off s career high. He may want to cash in. Only 56 points but that could net him more than his production would be worth with us, unless we get a good 2nd line C
I did say hopefully, but you're also right to be worried that he'd be more expensive than it's worth. Or that he didn't really bounceback, but was lucky to play with MacKinnon. He's a tough one to judge value on for me, so I'm curious as to what he gets. I'd be scared to go long-term with him.

Reactions: Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Different people obviously read the situation differently. It’s been beaten with a dead horse and I doubt anyone’s changing their opinion on the matter so I don’t care to rehash it.

I’ll just say I’d rather be dealing with Petro’s contract and level of play than Krug’s contract and level of play.

It takes two to tango. One guy wanted to be here while the other didn't. Sucks but it is what it is.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
So all of the good players are gone. We have 16 mil in cap space and got none of them (nashville did exactly what we should have done). We spend a 2nd to get rid of Hayes cap (Why?!) instead of trading it to draft a top pairing D instead of a bottom pairing injured D, and we use Hayes space to sign Kasperi Kapanen.

You're kidding...

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So all of the good players are gone. We have 16 mil in cap space and got none of them (nashville did exactly what we should have done). We spend a 2nd to get rid of Hayes cap (Why?!) instead of trading it to draft a top pairing D instead of a bottom pairing injured D, and we use Hayes space to sign Kasperi Kapanen.

You're kidding...
So we can get pissed off in 12 months because we spent to the cap on players when we aren't a contender?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
same band that has missed the playoffs the past 2 years comes back again but this time with a worse coach

lol

MEET THE NEW BOSS

SAME AS THE OLD BOSS

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

You're kidding...
Nashville did exactly what we shouldn't have done. Signing aging players to long-term deals who are going to be fading right when your young players are ready to emerge is a great recipe to be mired in mediocrity.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Nashville did exactly what we shouldn't have done. Signing aging players to long-term deals who are going to be fading right when your young players are ready to emerge is a great recipe to be mired in mediocrity.

True though they are more in a position to contend. Maybe they felt they owed Josi a legit chance to win and they didn't acquire Schenn and ROR last summer to remain a middling team. I could see them as a fringe contender with ROR, Forsberg, Josi, Saros, Stamkos, Marchy, etc but will be a limited window to get it done.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
True though they are more in a position to contend. Maybe they felt they owed Josi a legit chance to win and they didn't acquire Schenn and ROR last summer to remain a middling team. I could see them as a fringe contender with ROR, Forsberg, Josi, Saros, Stamkos, Marchy, etc but will be a limited window to get it done.
Right. It makes much mores sense for Nashville to try and make a splash given the state of their roster. Plus the Jeannot trade has given them an opportunity to take these risks while also building up their system.

Reactions: Reality Czech

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I had a feeling Kap would be resigned with the hope that he musters up 20-25 points by the TDL and flip him for a 3rd or 4th.

Make it happen, crystal ball. Thank you.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Nobody wants to come to STL and be a part of a rebuild unless we overpay by a couple mill per year, which isn’t happening. And there’s absolutely no reason to keep Buch at this point. Trade him and finish the rebuild for 2 more years. Do the right thing instead of polishing this turd and quit act like we are trying to stay competitive during a re-tool. Just f***ing suck for 2 more years and move on.

Reactions: BrokenFace

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Honestly all jokes aside the Blues aren't a few players away from competing so really I am not that upset with how today has gone. Yes I know its a let down to see other teams signing big names and Blues come up with nothing but did you really want to see this team sign these contracts...

Debrusk 7x5.5
Lindholm 7x7.75
Skjei 7x7
Stamkos 4x8
Monahan 5x5.5
Zadorov 6x5
Montour 7x7.1
Pesce 6x5.5
Marchessault 5x5.5

You have to remember all these contracts are going to take these players into the mid to late 30s. You also have to remember that all these teams signing these contracts are going to struggle to find space next year to make a big splash. Army will never call it but what we are in is a rebuild through youth. I would expect a trade more than a big name in FA market the next few years. That being said it is still baffling to me that we are trying to re-sign Buch.

Also, don't discount the value of having cap space come the TDL. We have seen some other teams accumulate assets by simply taking on bad expiring contracts to help facilitate trades for cap space strapped contenders.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Honestly all jokes aside the Blues aren't a few players away from competing so really I am not that upset with how today has gone. Yes I know its a let down to see other teams signing big names and Blues come up with nothing but did you really want to see this team sign these contracts...

Debrusk 7x5.5
Lindholm 7x7.75
Skjei 7x7
Stamkos 4x8
Monahan 5x5.5
Zadorov 6x5
Montour 7x7.1
Pesce 6x5.5
Marchessault 5x5.5

You have to remember all these contracts are going to take these players into the mid to late 30s. You also have to remember that all these teams signing these contracts are going to struggle to find space next year to make a big splash. Army will never call it but what we are in is a rebuild through youth. I would expect a trade more than a big name in FA market the next few years. That being said it is still baffling to me that we are trying to re-sign Buch.
Pesce is the only deal there that I would probably be comfortable with, but that would have only made sense for us if Faulk was moved. I agree I am glad we have sat out today for the most part, its not over yet. But all I see is a bunch of deals that teams are likely going to be regretting sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad