2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Not really sure that Parayko has a 'next level' of offense and I certainly don't think that 15-20 goals is a reasonable expectation for a guy who just isn't going to be racking up a good chink of goals on the PP. Only 1 D man had 15+ even strength goals this year. 1 guy hit that mark in 2022/23 and 2 guys hit that mark in 2021/22 (Faulk being one of them).

Parayko's 9 even strength goals this year put him in an 8 way tie for 16th among NHL D men (tied with Dobson, Karlsson, Werenski, Forsling, Sanheim, Severson, and Hedman).

Barring a change in deployment where he is no longer deployed in a pure shutdown, defense-first role I just don't see him having more offensive production.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm also not expecting him to reach another level offensively, my point was just if he does hit another level, I think it would come from increased goal production as opposed to him developing a playmaking aspect on his rushes leading to more assists.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I don't mean playmaking by finding the open guy and hitting him with the sharp pass after penetrating the zone, I mean, Parayko has the puck, he needs to hand it off to another Blues player who can take control of it and eventually maybe get it back to Parayko for a point shot, a dubious weapon that rarely works. I don't see him even developing that well enough

Reactions: bleedblue1223

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Parayko in a sense is a rich man's Brewer in offense and a very rich man's Brewer on defense. Brewer would skate the puck behind the opponent's net and at least 60% of the time fall down flat on the ice 200 feet away from his own goal. Brewer was an embarrassment

Reactions: taylord22

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It would be somewhat interesting to see what Parayko's point per rush is or chance created per rush is as I'd suspect he gets more rush production than others, and then determine if different usage would lead to more rush attempts.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
YES!!!!!

Of the '23 draft class, Juraj is the one I'm most excited about because it appears he has that 'it' factor, like Toropchenko. Not exceptionally skilled, but a true shift disturber. He's got @Vladys Gumption.

We don't know yet where he's playing next season, do we?
Acadie-Bathurst has his CHL rights from the 2023 Import Draft, I would assume that is most likely his landing spot next year

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Acadie-Bathurst has his CHL rights from the 2023 Import Draft, I would assume that is most likely his landing spot next year
Except that he doesn't want to play there.
Right now, I'm assuming that he'll play in the ECHL next year. We don't currently have an affiliate at that level, but that didn't stop us from loaning Tanner Dickinson to Orlando last year. I'd assume we'll find a similar situation for Juraj until he's ready for full AHL minutes.

Reactions: mk80

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Right now, I'm assuming that he'll play in the ECHL next year. We don't currently have an affiliate at that level, but that didn't stop us from loaning Tanner Dickinson to Orlando last year. I'd assume we'll find a similar situation for Juraj until he's ready for full AHL minutes.
Juraj might have to suck it up and play where he needs to play, but the ECHL is compelling. He'd play bigger, stronger men, but not A+ players. Not a bad idea.

On the other hand, "forcing" Juraj to play in AB is probably a bad idea.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Interesting, I missed that. Is he opposed to the CHL entirely or just in Acadie-Bathurst?

Either way the ECHL could be good fit allowing him to play a pro game, but not directly throwing him into the AHL level.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Interesting, I missed that. Is he opposed to the CHL entirely or just in Acadie-Bathurst?

Either way the ECHL could be good fit allowing him to play a pro game, but not directly throwing him into the AHL level.
He’s opposed to the Q. He came here wanting to learn English so wasn’t interested in going to a QMJHL team.

Shortly after AB drafted him, his agent released a statement saying they asked them not to but they did anyway. The Blues reportedly also tried to steer him to the OHL or WHL. After AB went against his wishes and drafted him anyway, they went with the alternative of Dubuque Iowa.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
He’s opposed to the Q. He came here wanting to learn English so wasn’t interested in going to a QMJHL team.

Shortly after AB drafted him, his agent released a statement saying they asked them not to but they did anyway. The Blues reportedly also tried to steer him to the OHL or WHL. After AB went against his wishes and drafted him anyway, they went with the alternative of Dubuque Iowa.
I love that! Smart kid.

Reactions: Drubilly

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Regarding the Acadie-Bathurst question, I wonder if there is a precedent where the CHL rights to an import player were traded for another import player or a future import draft pick. I can’t remember that ever happening, but I don’t know if there are rules in place preventing it. It would be worth looking into to get him in the OHL or WHL.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Regarding the Acadie-Bathurst question, I wonder if there is a precedent where the CHL rights to an import player were traded for another import player or a future import draft pick. I can’t remember that ever happening, but I don’t know if there are rules in place preventing it. It would be worth looking into to get him in the OHL or WHL.
at one point there was a rule that clubs couldn't trade chl import drafted players for 1 year. i believe that is still in effect, but can't say for certain. it all goes back to what i said earlier, we'll find him another chl club,

Reactions: MissouriMook

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Did he not want to play there or did the Blues not want him to play there.

I am sure he could keep playing where he is. Like others have said, I want him to be in the AHL if he is not ready. Which I am pretty sure he isn’t.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Did he not want to play there or did the Blues not want him to play there.

I am sure he could keep playing where he is. Like others have said, I want him to be in the AHL if he is not ready. Which I am pretty sure he isn’t.
My understanding is his camp informed Acadie-Bathurst that he would not sign there before they drafted him 2nd overall in the import draft and they drafted him anyways. He came over to North America from Europe to learn the language and adapt to the NA rink. Playing in Quebec would have been a hindrance to that plan.

I have also read he is no longer eligible to play in the USHL after signing his ELC. Think we will see him in the ECHL or AHL next season.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
My understanding is his camp informed Acadie-Bathurst that he would not sign there before they drafted him 2nd overall in the import draft and they drafted him anyways. He came over to North America from Europe to learn the language and adapt to the NA rink. Playing in Quebec would have been a hindrance to that plan.

I have also read he is no longer eligible to play in the USHL after signing his ELC. Think we will see him in the ECHL or AHL next season.

I don’t know the USHL rules. Most kids play there to jump into college. As kids are allowed to play CHL after signing their contracts, I don’t quite understand why USHL would be different.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I don’t know the USHL rules. Most kids play there to jump into college. As kids are allowed to play CHL after signing their contracts, I don’t quite understand why USHL would be different.
NCAA eligibility for the league. Probably a draconian rule now given how college sports have evolved over the last 5-10 years.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm also not expecting him to reach another level offensively, my point was just if he does hit another level, I think it would come from increased goal production as opposed to him developing a playmaking aspect on his rushes leading to more assists.
Early in his career, I expected Parayko to score plenty by slapshots from the point. He was injuring goalies
and defenseman with his powerful shots.

What happened. Did he quit shooting volutarily, or did the coaching staff tell him to quit?

What

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Early in his career, I expected Parayko to score plenty by slapshots from the point. He was injuring goalies
and defenseman with his powerful shots.

What happened. Did he quit shooting volutarily, or did the coaching staff tell him to quit?

His slap shit isn't accurate and takes too long to get off. I assume he was coached to use it less. A weaker but more accurate wrist shot is better than a rocket that won't be on net.

It's a hard shot but that doesn't matter if you can't aim it. A wrist shit can be deflected or screened more easily than a slapshot that can just as easily injure your net front guy.

Reactions: Brian39

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
good ol times
images-q-tbn-ANd9-Gc-SFs-Mk-Bx-Oo-Gar-Q2r4-V2g-PHq8-L8m-Uk-RJa-IV4ww-s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad