Prospect Info: 2023 1st Rd Selection - #28 OA (via BOS, WSH) - C, Easton Cowan [London Knights, OHL; [Height 5.11 -- Weight 185]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
People were dropping Gilmour comparisons on Marner when he was in London. I like Cowans drive but the idea that Marner was significantly worse in that regard while in junior is revisionist history.
Marner in junior was so much more skilled then most of the junior league that he cruised to success where as skilled as Cowan may be he has to work much harder and is way more edgier then Marner ever was

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Marner in junior was so much more skilled then most of the junior league that he cruised to success where as skilled as Cowan may be he has to work much harder and is way more edgier then Marner ever was
Marner had both outstanding compete level and super elite skill in London - anyone saying otherwise really was not watching the Knights. He was flying all over the ice, winning puck battles, making big defensive plays, AND was absolutely electric with the puck. He showed up huge in the playoffs too.

Cowan had a great season, I’m excited about his prospects, but he’s really not that close to where Marner was at, at the same age.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marner had both outstanding compete level and super elite skill in London - anyone saying otherwise really was not watching the Knights. He was flying all over the ice, winning puck battles, making big defensive plays, AND was absolutely electric with the puck. He showed up huge in the playoffs too.

Cowan had a great season, I’m excited about his prospects, but he’s really not that close to where Marner was at, at the same age.
Especially when Tkachuk was on his team.

Reactions: arso40

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
What we are seeing in the playoffs is Goal is the most important position and toughness is critical. Marner is RW, probably the least important position. By letting Marner go we are talking about building the team differently. The record clearly shows this is the most talented loser team in NHL history. Also proving they are overpaid for padding their stats in the reg season. Marner may not get 100 pts under the Berube system. Go poll other teams and find out how many think he is worth $12 Million. Only some Leaf fans, who enjoy losing, think that. This team is nowhere close to winning a cup. Something must give. Dont worry, the Leafs record as the biggest loser franchise in pro sports will never be broken now.
Ya but if the Leafs trade Marner, Tavares at 34 is their 3rd best forward. That’s a bit scary. I’d personally hang on to Marner knowing I’m getting 11 million in cap space next year with Tavares off the books.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Ya but if the Leafs trade Marner, Tavares at 34 is their 3rd best forward. That’s a bit scary. I’d personally hang on to Marner knowing I’m getting 11 million in cap space next year with Tavares off the books.
rapper-snoop-dogg-shaking-my-head-reaction-1it7obetim459ta5.gif

Reactions: CincoHolio

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Especially when Tkachuk was on his team.
That line of Marner, Tkachuk and Dvorak was one of the best Jr. lines ever.

All over 100 pts in regular season, and 44, 40 and 35 respectively in 18 playoff games.

They then went on to dominate the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That line of Marner, Tkachuk and Dvorak was one of the best Jr. lines ever.

All over 100 pts in regular season, and 44, 40 and 35 respectively in 18 playoff games.

They then went on to dominate the Memorial Cup.
Yes it had all elements of a good line .. speed at C with Dvorak .. toughness and scoring from Matty .. creativity/passing and defense from Mitch .. lots of ways to open up ice for Mitch with both speed and hitting .. he needs da help

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
The Marner after Lamorello left you mean. It's when Matthews and Marner started looking at themselves as businesses and icons and celebrities instead of players on a TEAM.

It really all comes down to the culture Dubas made a point in dismantling and the culture he made a point to replace it with.
Could've been - absolutely.

To the second...Interesting.

I've often used Lamoriello's endorsement of Dubas as an endorsement of Dubas' culture/style/system, but perhaps the two aren't the same, and perhaps LL never really saw through Dubas despite seeing his potential?

Makes for an interesting consideration.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't think it's that simple. As we are seeing, goal is the most important position in the playoffs. Trading Marner opens up cap space. This team is nowhere close to a cup.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Could've been - absolutely.

To the second...Interesting.

I've often used Lamoriello's endorsement of Dubas as an endorsement of Dubas' culture/style/system, but perhaps the two aren't the same, and perhaps LL never really saw through Dubas despite seeing his potential?

Makes for an interesting consideration.
I always found it disrespectful how Dubas immediately ended many of Lamoriello's rules and philosophies after he left. Such an arrogant move.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I always found it disrespectful how Dubas immediately ended many of Lamoriello's rules and philosophies after he left. Such an arrogant move.
It caught me a little off guard because of Lamoriello's apparent influence.

Can't remember if it was the pic with Marner wearing a Mickey Mouse t-shirt or what exactly where I thought, Oh sh#!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We see this all the time though - not just in hockey. How many of us have been moved into more prominent roles and immediately triy to implement & establish our own stamp on things? Whether big or small, we all do it.

I wouldn't call it arrogance at all.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Well, I think you need to look at the whole picture. Obviously, trading the best player in a deal means you "lose" that trade but in this case we are adding and distributing depth and balance. Without trading Marner our depth chart might look something like this:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Rielly
Tavares
Domi
Bertuzzi
Knies
McCabe
Woll

But if we trade Marner for a top 4 dman, a young forward and cap space, it could look like this:

Matthews
Nylander
Rielly
TOP 4 Dman
FA F, D or G with cap space
Tavares
Domi
Bertuzzi
Knies
McCabe

I am not sure I have the order correct above, but I think it illustrates the point. We will miss Marner and not replace him, but we could have more depth and a better distribution of cap to D and G which may make us a stronger team.

Reactions: nuck and arso40

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
It will be tough, but hoping he finds a way to make the team this year. Not much more to do in junior for him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It will be tough, but hoping he finds a way to make the team this year. Not much more to do in junior for him.

From the reports, it sounds like he's becoming a man, and he certainly, physically, looks like he's moving there.

I'm not sure how much he paid those trainers, but sounds like he's emersed himself with NHL and AHL players in their training.

Physically, doesn't look like a boy.

Another: https://www.tsn.ca/chl/video/he-s-ready-an-inside-look-at-cowan-s-quest-to-make-the-leafs~2989374

I don't know, but his trainer works with lots of pros, and feels he's there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roo

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Yeah really. No one is saying Cowan is the next Marner and we dont want him to be either. Cowan is more likely a Gilmour type than a Marner.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I see we are in the full Toronto media hype cycle with our shiny new toy. Now cowan is Gilmour. No pressure kid.

What's next, next year Danford is Scott Stevens?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I see we are in the full Toronto media hype cycle with our shiny new toy. Now cowan is Gilmour. No pressure kid.

What's next, next year Danford is Scott Stevens?
Wait till he starts putting up some offense we need to aim higher think Nick lindstrom!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad