Prospect Info: 2023 14th Overall - Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Him being one of the best defensive Forwards in the 1st round at least gives him a prayer with Sullivan over the next 2 years here.
I look at him more as a future trade chip though. I'd be surprised if he ever plays a playoff game as a Penguin.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
So he’s not going to university…will play in juniors?

Yes, I think Yager was a safe “high floor” pick..but we’re going to be so devoid of real top talent in the next few years that I thought we needed to swing for fences more with this pick

I'd just let him fly, this team tends to break players down and rebuild them and try to force defense into their games. For once, just let him grow with his natural talent. Waste that sort of thing on lesser talented guys picked far later. I think Dubas wouldn't have okayed this if the talent wasn't there.

As much as it was safe, it was still a swing at the fence.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
SCOUTING REPORT
A shoot first centre - wing who displays one of the best releases in junior was the CHL Rookie of the Year. A hard accurate shooter who has improved his playmaking, and regularly scores or creates highlight goal. His wrist shot is is fast off his stick, and his traffic area play highlights his strong puck work and shooting skills. He knows how to play off coverage, making himself an available option for his puck carrying teammates. Likes to rocket in on zone entries from the left wing side. Presently lacks muscle but that doesn't deter from him taking it in the high traffic areas. Prefers the puck coming to him and creating off the rush, as opposed to having to carry and attack when it is in his being carried closer to his body. Models his game after Nathan McKinnon.
--Bill Płaczek--

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm seriously not trying to be a shit but his overall goal scoring method reminds me a lot of Sutter.

Just straight line fly down that RW and rip it.

Or hell Kessel too I suppose. Let's go with that.

I think Sutter sounds like the lower end of his potential range. Sutter himself was picked #11 in his draft, so it wouldn't be unheard of.

His upside seems like an all-around middle-6 center or a well rounded top-6 winger.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Personally I see a lot of NHL-style goals in his highlights. Predictable but the NHL is predictable. Not a lot of “skate through everyone” or “stand in front of the net for 25 seconds unmolested.” It’s pouncing on a turnover, attacking on the rush, getting a bit of a lane, mid-range shot, quick release, goal. Use D as a screen from top of the circle, etc. Not high percentage but not low percentage. Chances you get in tight NHL games. He gets a step and uses it but he doesn’t try to do more than is needed.

Not enough in-tight, shovel-it-in garbage goals or tips but that’s probably an easy one to work on. Get him to go to the net more when he doesn’t have the puck, just fly-bys or being the 2nd wave, and pick up some loose change.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Lots of his highlights remind me of Point. /shrug

I dunno. It's junior. The difference in competition between 1st rounders and late rounders is stark. We just gotta wait and see. Several people have said he's got a top-5 shot in the draft class. If he can work on his awareness and get himself in position to take advantage of it, that's pretty much all you can really ask for. I expect him to probably be a C/W hybrid by the time he's ready for the NHL, if he ever is.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah we'll see how it goes. All of our blue chippers have issues of some sort but that's how it goes when you don't pick in the top 5.

For Pickering it's offensive ability. For Poulin, skating. Yager seems the most well rounded of these three but might also have a lower ceiling (though higher floor perhaps given no real weaknesses apart from maybe size)

Pickering and Yager are kinda similar to me in that there seems to be a ton of inconsistency game to game and a ton of different projections on them as a result. I feel like Yager is more. I feel like I knew who Poulin was within a couple hours, question was just how much he could improve his skating and how much you liked his sort of game. Pickering was harder to gauge. Yager, I dunno yet. Just don't know.

I'm gonna keep reading. I might even watch video.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
All in all, pretty much the exact type of talent and projected timeline I sorta expected at 14, unless somehow somebody in the top-5 dropped like a rock for some reason.

Reactions: Jacob

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Yager: “It was cool to go out for supper with (Penguins). We both asked each other a lot of questions.”

Says he modeled his game after Sidney Crosby.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
A lot of his smarts seem to actually be embedded in his two way game... again from just the highlights I'm watching... that isn't a bad thing at all with his other attributes. I don't necessarily like all of what I see when it comes to HOW he arrives at his scoring positions if that makes any sense (not sure how much of that you can get away with against NHL players) but the shot itself is definitely very, very heavy.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I am not going to talk myself into I'm super pumped about it, have done that too much over some of these low picks over the years and no matter how good they sound it's turned out disappointing

I'm not going to dog it either. Hope the kid surprises us all.

Wouldn't have hated to move the pick either but nothing is moving so here we are.

Our #1 prospect in the system Jager.....let's go.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Button compares him to Lindholm of the Flames, fwiw. Solid two way game, smart, dangerous once he gets open.

Seems boom or bust, but I'll take that over "NHL size, safe bet" picks 1000% of the time.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Button compares him to Lindholm of the Flames, fwiw. Solid two way game, smart, dangerous once he gets open.

Seems boom or bust, but I'll take that over "NHL size, safe bet" picks 1000% of the time.

Craig Button is a joke though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad