Prospect Info: 2023 14th Overall - Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
When Benson went the chance to steal a player this draft went with him. Damn! that would have been tremendous value at 14. Yager seems meh in comparison. I would have preferred Perreault or ASP. And I'm not wanting to necessarily add a D men.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He DOES seem a little all over the board. Both in ranking and opinions... both in general and certain aspects of his game. I get what people mean by the "Esposito vibes" but I think the big difference here is going to be work ethic and an already robust two way game... which by all accounts he has both of.
And Esposito was damaged goods from a catastrophic knee injury wasn't he?

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
ESPN has been a Clusterf*** for 2 Decades Not interviewing the Kid on his & his family's biggest day so far

Reactions: domaug

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
He DOES seem a little all over the board. Both in ranking and opinions... both in general and certain aspects of his game. I get what people mean by the "Esposito vibes" but I think the big difference here is going to be work ethic and an already robust two way game... which by all accounts he has both of.
i think the way he worked on his passing should tell you all you need to know about his work ethic. imo

Reactions: Ulf5 and Lustaf

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Years away was to be expected of anybody, imo, pretty much a nonfactor.
Was that before he was drafted? I couldn't remember. I thought that was post draft. The Penguins never even got him officially in their system before he was traded.
Maybe I'm misremembering, I thought he was projected to be #1 overall then his knee got f***ed up real bad so he dropped like a rock.

-edit- Yeah, no, you were right. Apparently he f***ed up his knee in 2009.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
None of us have any clue about this shit, but we all love pretending that we do based on some articles or youtube clips. :laugh: He's Penguin property now, so hope for the best. Not the guy I would've picked, but anybody overly upset about this is probably just looking for anything to be pissed about and likely would've hated Perreault, ASP, Wood, Moore or whoever else. /shrug

See ya in like 5 years, Yager. Hope you don't turn out to be trash, but at 14, statistically, you will. :laugh:
I highly doubt anyone here that’s pissed off has watched any of these kids play. Like you said, YouTube and some random internet scouting reports is all we go off of.

Just wait and see how he does. I’m excited about his shooting and skating ability. Just keep your fingers crossed.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I wish I got real analysis on the pick instead of some awkward kid throwing out trite bull crap.

When did that crew give real analysis?

I was more annoyed that I couldn't see who was in the Pens entourage on stage which we barely were able to see.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I highly doubt anyone here that’s pissed off has watched any of these kids play. Like you said, YouTube and some random internet scouting reports is all we go off of.

Just wait and see how he does. I’m excited about his shooting and skating ability. Just keep your fingers crossed.
I'll take boom or bust at 14 all day. Enough of the safe bet bullshit. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He's more talented than both of them imo

I'm not sure I'm reading a ton of talent in this guy other than his shot. It doesn't sound like he has outstanding hands or vision.

And when I compre him to Poulin or Pickering, the physical talent levels are just different in the wrong direction. If Poulin or Pickering pan out, they're rare players.

I guess if Yager pans out and his shot is everything they say, then he is even rarer. But the big shot is the one attribute I'm most take it or leave it about.

This could look very stupid very quickly if he pulls his game together quickly but... well, we'll see. And yeah, both of those guys were projects too.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
U

we’ll find out when he’s traded to make room for the new Zucker extension…
What caught my eye however was in his highlights: has a very nice release (kessel like) and seems good in open ice, causes turnovers and had a great showing in the playoffs. 16 points in 10 games.

Reactions: The Old Master

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
BTW heres your 14th overall picks going back to 1990

1990 – Brad May (LW, Buffalo Sabres)
1991 – Pat Peake (C, Washington Capitals)
1992 – Sergei Gonchar (D, Washington Capitals)
1993 – Adam Deadmarsh (RW, Quebec Nordiques)
1994 – Ethan Moreau (LW, Chicago Blackhawks)
1995 – Jay McKee (D, Buffalo Sabres)
1996 – Marty Reasoner (C, St. Louis Blues)
1997 – Michael Riesen (RW, Edmonton Oilers)
1998 – Patrick DesRochers (G, Phoenix Coyotes)
1999 – Jeff Jillson (D, San Jose Sharks)
2000 – Vaclab Nedorost (C, Colorado Avalanche)
2001 – Chuck Kobasew (RW, Calgary Flames)
2002 – Chris Higgins (LW, Montreal Canadiens)
2003 – Brent Seabrook (D, Chicago Blackhawks)
2004 – Devan Dubnyk (G, Edmonton Oilers)
2005 – Saha Pokulok (D, Washington Capitals)
2006 – Michael Grabner (RW, Vancouver Canucks)
2007 – Kevin Shattenkirk (D, Colorado Avalanche)
2008 – Zach Boychuk (C, Carolina Hurricanes)
2009 – Dmitri Kulikov (D, Florida Panthers)
2010 - Jayden Schwartz
2011- Jamie Oleksiak
2012 Zegmus Girgensons
2013. Alexander Wennberg
2014. Julius Honka
2015 Jake DeBrusk
2016 Charlie McAvoy
2017 Callan Foote
2018 Joel Farabee
2019 Cam York
2020 Dylan Holloway
2021 Isak Rosen
2022 Rutger McGroaty

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm not sure I'm reading a ton of talent in this guy other than his shot. It doesn't sound like he has outstanding hands or vision.

And when I compre him to Poulin or Pickering, the physical talent levels are just different in the wrong direction. If Poulin or Pickering pan out, they're rare players.

I guess if Yager pans out and his shot is everything they say, then he is even rarer. But the big shot is the one attribute I'm most take it or leave it about.

This could look very stupid very quickly if he pulls his game together quickly but... well, we'll see. And yeah, both of those guys were projects too.
A big shot and being able to skate and play defense is very rare though.

Sprong didn't have the defense or the hockey sense.

Reactions: Peat

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have zip at center especially a RH center. He fills a need and has the speed and shot. He is 5-11 and will add size for then ext 3 years. He will be part of the rebuild after the Pens core is gone.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad